When The Grid Goes Down: 15 Tips to Get Home Safely Following an EMP Attack

shtfplan.com When The Grid Goes Down: 15 Tips to Get Home Safely Following an EMP Attack

13-16 minutes

This guide was originally published by Jeremiah Johnson at ReadyNutrition.com

emp-attack1

Let?s just say that the unthinkable becomes the real and happening. Let?s take this article and go over it. This will be a segment in three parts, the next ones being immediate actions taken at work and at home. I?m hitting on traveling first, as there are so many vacationers jaunting around happily over the landscape. All kidding aside, traffic is congested during the summer, extending traveling time on the commutes. Let?s game the scenario, and here it is. Here?s the scenario:

You?re cruising down the highway in your 2013 four-door sedan, having just dropped the kids off twenty minutes ago to the swim club. Now you?re on the open highway with a heavy traffic flow?about 5 miles from the edge of town and 7 miles from work. You?re listening to the radio, when suddenly it crackles and goes dead, along with your engine. You look around and pumping the brakes manage to slow down and then drive off the road onto the shoulder, just feet away from the back bumper of another vehicle.

The vehicle comes to a stop, and you try the ignition again. You look at your watch, a Casio G-Shock, to find there is no display. You reach for your cell phone. Nothing. It?s dead. There are perhaps a dozen cars around you?half to your front and half to your rear. All of them have stopped, and most of the drivers have gotten out. You hear the sound of an engine, and looking up, see a ?58 Ford pickup truck weaving in and out of the stalled traffic, moving toward your rear, away from town. The book ?One Second After? has just played out in real life. The United States has been attacked by an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) weapon. You?re 15 miles from home, and the ?S? has hit the fan.

On Friday 7/29/17, North Korea just successfully tested an ICBM (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile) and experts from four different countries including the U.S. have determined that they have the capability of striking the U.S. anywhere. That means the optimal point for an EMP strike (dead center of the continental U.S., at 300 km above ground) is not only their prime target but also attainable.

15 Tips to Get Safely Home Following an EMP

Back to our scenario. Most will be clueless and unprepared. Let?s do it up, down and dirty with the steps that you should take if you are ?Citizen X? outlined in the scenario:

  1. Have a plan already in place: That means to formulate one right now, if you haven?t already done so.

  1. If there are a lot of people around, such as in the scenario, then immediately grab your gear and get out of there. What gear, you may ask? We?ve ?gamed? much of this to the point of nausea, but let?s list out those essentials:

?Go/Bug Out Bag?: This guy already needs to be packed and ready, in that vehicle that will become a 3,000-lb. paperweight. Three days? supply of ready-to-eat food, one day?s worth of water and the means to filter more. Compass, flashlight, knife, first aid kit, poncho, jacket/sweatshirt, extra socks, map, light sleeping bag, fire starting material, small fishing kit (hooks, line, bobber), sewing kit, MSW (Minor Surgical Wound) kit, extra cash ($20 denominations and smaller), ground pad, extra clothing (hat, OG bandana, etc.), and ammo. An EMP may be followed by radiological and nuclear consequences. Having an NBC gas mask and anti-radiation pills in your vehicle could be a lifesaver.

Weapon: Please don?t feed me ?legal information,? or ?I can?t do that in my state.? These are ?sink or swim? rules. If you don?t have a weapon now, you may not have one later. If you don?t have the fortitude to take that weapon and be ready to use it when the time comes, then you probably won?t survive this or be able to help your family. One rifle, one pistol, with ammo for each.

Grab that bag and put it on, securing your weapons. Then secure the vehicle, closing the windows and locking it up. If nobody is around, throw it into neutral and push it off the road. Camouflage it with branches and leaves?taking care not to cut them from the immediate area that you stash it. Most likely it?ll be ?violated,? so now is the time to take the stuff you need and get it out. If the scenario above applies, just secure the vehicle and get out of there.

  1. Traveling: Do not walk on the roads. Skirt the road with about 50 meters (that?s about 150 feet) between you and the edge of the road. Stay away from people unless you know them and trust them?both qualities are emboldened.

  1. For metro people: If you are out in the suburbs or open road, and you must return to the city? It may be better for you and your family to arrange for a rallying point outside of the city. If that isn?t possible, then you should exercise extreme caution. Allow the nearest family member to secure the home and then wait for you. Travel when it?s dark to be on the safe side. Your visibility is cut down, and so is the visibility of those who may be hunting you.

  2. Long distance to go? Forage along the way. Refill your canteens/water bottles whenever you?re able, and take note of any freestanding water supplies or ?blue? features (that?s the color of water on a military map) for use in the future. DON?T MARK YOUR MAP! If someone gets a hold of it, you do not want them to be able to find your home. You must commit the route to memory and adjust your steps accordingly.

  1. Dealing with the Stress of the Event: The power is not coming back on?ever?and it really has begun?the Day After Doomsday is here. Take a deep breath and concentrate on your training, your preparations. If you don?t have any, then this piece is a wake-up call to get moving! The best way to do it is immediately accepting what has happened without dwelling on it. Concentrate on the tasks at hand: navigating home, scouting what is in between, and foraging for anything you need. You have a job to do! Reconnaissance! We?ll go over that now.

Reconnaissance: You must see on the ground what is in between you and the happy Hallmark home you?re returning to. You should take note of any places that hold medical supplies, food, or anything you may need for yourself or your family. You should take note of possible refuge sites to hide if you and the family hightail it out of the home instead of having a ?Walton Family Homecoming.? You must take note of water features, danger locations (cliffs or impassable terrain features), as well as dangerous individuals. Yes, the ones who were jerks before all of this? Wait until you see how they?ll be now, with no controls exercised over them.

  1. The best advice I can give: Travel at night. This may be impossible for several reasons. Firstly, if it?s an all-out nuke attack, there may be the problem of radiation for you, in which case you?ll have to either reach home immediately or seek shelter immediately to remain in place for several weeks. Secondly, you may have other family members that need to be attended to and cannot wait for a long time. The kids in the scenario are a prime example. If it is an EMP only, there will be a ?quiet period? of about 6 to 12 hours before everything breaks loose and the sequel to the movie ?The Road? begins in real life. Darkness is the best time to travel. It hides you and helps you to cover your tracks until the morning light.

8.The rest of the family: They must KNOW THE OVERALL PLAN AND HAVE A PLAN OF THEIR OWN TO FOLLOW UNTIL YOU GET THEM OR UNTIL THEY REACH HOME. This is all going to take some preparation on your part and remember the saying: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Don?t put it off!

  1. Avoid people, families, and groups of people. Your goal when traveling is to be invisible. I wrote some articles on how to hunt and how to avoid the manhunt. You may want to refresh yourself on those points, and follow a few basic rules I keep in my own mind and heart:

When a disaster occurs, everyone is your ?friend? even when they are not There is no interest but self-interest outside of you and your immediate family Whatever you need and have, they also need and want They will kill you for the barest of essentials of what you?re carrying Don?t talk to anyone: don?t exchange information, pleasantries, and do not tell anyone anything about yourself, your family, your general destination, or your home?it can be used against you later?and it will be.

  1. Coming home: Don?t walk right on in. Use a roundabout route, and go to a spot where you can watch your house for at least half an hour or so before making your ?triumphant return.? The S has hit the fan, and this is not the return of the Prodigal?you?re just going to tiptoe in. But before you tiptoe through the tulips and the window, keep in mind that Tiny Tim and his gang of marauders may have done it before you. That is why you want to watch the house closely. Best Advice I can give: Have your kids/spouse put up a long-distance-visible sign/signal so that you know everything is either OK or that you?ll have to come in and rescue the family. For example, if the birdhouse is still on the corner of the porch, then all is well. If the birdhouse is gone, or if it?s sitting on top of the post that holds the mailbox?well, time to play CQB (that?s Close Quarters Battle) and clear the house of the rats.

  1. Never underestimate anyone?s ability to take your family members hostage: That goes for the ?friendly neighbors,? most of all?the biggest rats on the block. If that happens, guess what? You?re now the HRT (that?s Hostage Rescue Team), or you better have a couple of guys such as this in your survival group/pod/neighborhood unit. The hardest guy or gal in the world will ?cave? when their son or daughter is being held at gunpoint by some goon.

  2. You?re home?Now, it?s time to fight! That?s right! Just when you thought it would be cozy and comfortable?just you and the family and your happy supplies?here comes a whole bagful of ?Gummi Bears? down the block?only these bears are armed with baseball bats, zip guns, chains, and crowbars. Armed also with about a week of BO (that?s Body Odor), all twelve of them combined still have an IQ of 50, tops?and here they are, at your door. They don?t want Halloween candy, by the way. You just walked twenty miles. Say, remember that article I wrote about using ginseng, and drinking coffee to help you keep alert and awake? I hope that one comes to mind because it?s about to become a ?festival? at your house. We?re going to cover more on this in the next segment.

  1. Obtain that ?second set? of electronic equipment. Oh yeah, the one JJ continuously warns about! Well, now that all your electronics that were exposed are junk, I hope you made some Faraday cages and stashed an extra one of those radios?or even several, for those of you who thought long-term. You need to find out what?s going on. Ham radios may help if you shielded them. So may CB?s and satellite phones.

  2. Arm the whole family: by the time you reach home, every family member either accompanying you (small children and toddlers excepted) should be armed. Time to really see how tight and full of solidarity you are as a real family unit?one that must fight in order to survive.

  1. Exit stage left: You may just find that the homecoming isn?t; that is, you must write it off as a loss and get out of there?it?s either destroyed and burning or occupied by the marauders. Unless you have the skills and the ability to deal with all of them, it is better to retreat and stay alive. You need a plan in place in order to make this work.

We?ve covered a lot of information here. This is all designed to stimulate those creative thought processes. The thinking alone is not enough: you must formulate a plan and then implement it. A plan without action is of no use. A plan executed too late is a tragedy: a funeral dirge getting ready to play. Don?t be too late to formulate your plan for you and your family. If the lights go out, it doesn?t necessarily mean that the party?s over?and the party may be one that never comes to an end. Fight that good fight each and every day! JJ out!

Reply to
Steve from Colorado

Jeremiah must have interesting roads in his neighborhood.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah. 150 feet would put me in the back yards of houses on the road, where you might get shot.

It's interesting how much detail and thought is put into paranoid fantasies. Another example is the detailed discussions of terminal ballistics in human flesh that keep coming up, when the subject is self-defense.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Welcome. I see we sucked you into the dark side.

Around here it puts me climbing over a block wall at every property boundry or still perfectly visible but slogging through desert sand.

That's what keeps us sane ;>}

Where you live is critical. A lot of writers assume the whole world is like what they know.

Reply to
Winston Smith

road.

qualities

150 feet off the road would most likely have you trespassing in all parts of the country.

Where Ed lives, all of the men wear cunt dresses.

Reply to
Red Prepper

Then why does Ed wear one?

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Ha-ha! Still smarting from your self-humiliation, eh, Pox?

Here's a tip: Stop bullshitting. And, if you're like Gunner and you're compelled to bullshit by your personality, don't compound it by trying to dig your way out by throwing slurs and slander. It just makes the hole deeper.

If you had asked reasonably, I would have been more than happy to explain those firearms issues to you.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Never happened...And you blowing and Curtsying is embarrassing your family.

I am not the Ed idiot! EdCuntinadress.

You merely proved to bloviate and continuously lie about what are facts. I find no pleasure in outing you as, if not vastly Ignorant, to be a congenital liar. End of conversation.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Where you made your big mistake, Pox, was in forgetting that a lot of people on these NGs actually know quite a lot about guns. Notice that Gunner, for example, who would love nothing more than to catch me in a mistake , has been practically silent. But we know he's been reading, because he brought up that Weatherby wildcat cartridge when we were discussing it.

You've been left twisting in the wind because everyone who knows what he's talking about regarding guns knows that you're full of shit, from your magical .410 goose gun to your equally magical Weatherby .270 that will shoot both Weatherby ammo and Winchester .270 ammo. That's not possible because ALL Weatherby ammo is belted magnums -- in every single caliber that they make.

So carry on with your delusions and bs'ing, Pox. You haven't fooled anyone, and you only dug the hole deeper by slinging homoerotic slurs and insults -- the last refuge of a bullshitter who's crapped out.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It obviously wasn't you! So tell us all about how you carried a weapon in defense of America.. Oh wait... You were a 50 rag editor and didn't have time for that stuff. ;-p

You are crying for someone to back up your bullshit and are coming up empty.

You also whined that I was posting replies into the Metals group... You had added that address yourself. So when I out of courtesy removed the group, you whined that I was backstabbing you by posting to the very groups you had added minus one.>

It is interesting how much of a liar you really are. You have added many words to my actual statements. You have never posted a reply from Weatherby and I have! The only Ammo I have ever used in that .270 is Winchester made by others. So again..You prove very embarrassingly the Ed CuntinaDress is sadly a liar and even makes Rudy look truthful in comparison. It is sad that you find it necessary to try and drag others into your loony prevarications. Now toddle off and continue giving your neighbors dog a blowjob.

Yes you have! Why don't you limp back to your metals group? Or did they out you also! A substantial number here seem to have tired of your juvenile lunatic actions also.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Actually, it includes me.

Let me guess...you carried your (non-existent) .475 Weatherby magnum, right? You were defending us against a charge of Cape Buffalo.

I'm ready to defend America against the likes of you, Pox.

I never had much time for phonies, but I make an exception in your case, because you're doing the thing I spent my career working to dispell -- the spread of bullshit.

I don't need anybody to back up what I say, because, unlike you, I never lie online. It makes things a lot easier. You should try it.

Nope. That was Red Pecker doing the complaining. I considered you a pest, but I didn't say much about it. Feel free to post a quote from me if you disagree.

Uh, no, I didn't add "that address" myself. I just replied to whatever was posted. After somebody (I think it was Rudy, but I'm not sure) caught you sniveling cowards spreading lies about me and excluding RCM so I wouldn't reply, I decided to keep an eye on you for a while. I don't like being lied about.

Uh, no, you have that backwards. I posted the content of the replies from Shawn and Weatherby's historian. Here's the full text of Shawn's initial reply to my phone call and my email: =================================================

Weatherby Sales Jun 26

to me Hi Ed,

Thank you for contacting Weatherby. I have forwarded your inquiry to our company historian who may have more knowledge on this caliber. [ed. - the .supposed .475] However as it states it is a wildcat which was never put into production by Weatherby. Also although I am not familiar with cartridgecollector.net the image of the head stamp is clearly written in white and looks to be photoshopped or something similar. It does not look like any of our factory headstamps and has an odd RR logo as well. In my opinion the 475 was just another wildcat based off of one of Roy Weatherby's cartridges.

Thank you, Shawn

And here is the rest of the correspondence, including the reply he passed on from the company historian, which I quoted verbatim in an earlier post:

================================================ Ed Huntress Jun 27

to Weatherby Thanks very much for your reply, Shawn. I hope that your historian knows something about the cartridge. I know that Buhmiller called one of his wildcats the ".475 Weatherby Magnum," but I'd be surprised if he made enough of them to get that headstamp -- unless Norma produced them for short runs. Or, maybe you could order the brass without a headstamp in those days, and apply your own.

Regards,

Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress Jun 30

to Weatherby Hi Shawn,

Did your historian have any comment on that ".475 Weatherby Magnum" cartridge?

Thanks!

Weatherby Sales Jul 5

to me He did not have any comments other than it is another wildcat.

Happy now? I didn't want to clutter up the NG with the back-and-forth, but since you're such a simpering complainer, I just did.

So, what happened to those "clips" that Weatherby supposedly sent to you about the imaginary .475, and the receipt you supposedly have for replacing the gun with the "cracked chamber"? ["I still have the Paperwork and the recall notification.".-- Pox] As in this:

"That .475 Weatherbee cracked the chamber. Weatherbee gave me other options for replacement."

Right....Still waiting to see it

Oh, really? Then maybe you can explain what you meant by "also," as in:

"I do own several Weatherby's of several different Caliber.Believe it or not...They use other Manufacturers ammunition also. My .270 loves Winchester style ammo and made by several others."

Phfft. You're a bullshitter to the core, Pox.

The sock puppets have been chatting up a storm, all right. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

So you verify that you were a draft dodger!

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Nope. Type 1 diabetic.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It was you who moved the thread from grid down to Ed. Message-ID:

Enlighten us what Ed's real or imagined sex life has to do with our response to grid down.

Reply to
Winston Smith

I'm sorry, you will have to take up sex with Ed himself. I am totally uninterested and would rather he not troll our group looking for gay sex. If you are interested, feel free to join him in RCM.

Reply to
Red Prepper

I don't care about Ed's sex life. I'm asking you what YOU think it has to do with surviving a grid down.

Why did you bring it up then?

Reply to
Winston Smith

Why did you ask about it then?

Actually you brought it up. You wanted enlightenment. I was ready to move on.

Reply to
Red Prepper

I pointed out your lie that it was Ed that started it. I did that a dozen or so posts ofter YOU introduced the topic.

Reply to
Winston Smith

I'll type real slow. Try hard to get this.

Ed commented on get home practices after the grid goes down. YOU replied with a comment about his sex life.

WHY do YOU think Ed's sex life is important to getting home during a grid down??? YOU brought it up; it must be important to you. Share your insight.

Reply to
Winston Smith

thread.

I mentioned it in the thread because I do t like the way he spams our newsgroup. I'm not the one obsessing about it,you are. Let it go or let it all hang out. I don't care because that's not my thing. Just talk to him about it, I'm sure he can help you thru it.

Reply to
Red Prepper