proper oil in carriage of lathe

I just received on old 10in logan lathe. I found the lub diagram but I'm not sure what kind of lube to use. There is a sticker on the carriage that says 10w. I have way oil for everything else.

Can I use hydraulic jack oil where is says 10w?

Al

Reply to
al

No. You should find some spindle oil of about 150 Saybolt. Do not use automotive oil. Use proper machine oil from an industrial supply house. Steve

Can I use hydraulic jack oil where is says 10w?

Al

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

If you could get non detergent 10W oil it would work fine. The detergent oil will screw up the oil wicks and keep the dirt in suspension which is rough on the wearing parts.

John

Reply to
john

There's a Logan Lathe List on yahoogroups ... and it's ran by none other than Scott Logan hisself , a descendent of the Original Logan ... Go to

, Scott also maintains an online store for parts for these wonderful machines , including parts manuals and user manuals . Mine's a Pow'rKraft 94TLC2136 , made for Monkey Wards in late 1951-early1952 . It's the same age as me , but in better shape ...

Reply to
Snag

It'll probably be fine. Jack oil is typically a light hydraulic oil, approx SAE10 and non-detergent. If you're nervous about the jack oil, Mobil DTE 24 is an ISO VG32 (approx SAE10) hydraulic oil. DTE Light is an ISO VG32 "circulating" oil, and also suitable.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Most likely yes. You need 10w non-detergent oil. My Clausing lathe needs Mobil DTE 24 per Clausing company. It is not very expensive.

Ignoramus12203

Scott Logan has said, more than once, that he uses Vactra way oil for EVERYTHING except variable speed drives. I think, when it comes to how to lube a Logan lathe, I'd follow his advice.

You ought to subscribe to the yahoo group "lathe-list" which is moderated by Scott Logan. If you search the archives there, you'll find his posts about using Vactra.

Reply to
rangerssuck