Re: scratchbuilt pit head gear

Hers a link to a first attempt at a wheel, tis first attempt so you can be gentle.

> news:dr6a0k$elb$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com... > > "Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." >> That looks very tedious, but have to say I'm impressed ! >> >> Based on any particular head gear at any location? >> >> -- >> Andy Sollis >> CVMRD >>
- Home of the Churnet Valley Model >> Railway >> Department >> Remove the 4F from E-mail to reply >> >> >> >> > Sorry for lack of explanation was experimenting, meant to send to a test > group first. Planned to put here then add a link to message on > uk.rec.models.rail in reply as an easy alternative to the lack of a kit > for a wheel. > > Anyway, thanks for comment, its based on Stephensons shaft at Snibston in > Coalville Leics. Theres a science museum on the site but most of mine > buildings still there. see >
Not as tedious as expected, took under 2 hours per wheel and I'm an > impatient beginner. Used plastikard, florists wire and filler. Rim and > spokes bit oversize (didnt count or offset spokes) but then am not using > correct channel girders either. More of a looks right than exact copy. > > Can post more photos of site or construction if wanted. > > Cheers, > Simon > > >
Reply to
eric

Couldn't make the link - Perhaps I was too slow trying to find it.

I am very interested as I am about to start writing up what I have on coal mines for layouts for a website I am working on (

)

Most of what I have by way of photographs is poor quality stuff, although I do have the 'Small Mines' series of books in storage (but they really are small mines!)

If you have a link I would be interested in seeing the pics

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Do a Google Image search for "pit head gear". Quite a few pictures.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

based on Stephensons shaft at Snibston in

Was beginning to think either my modelling was rubbish or no one is interested in scratchbuilt structures anymore (not as sexy as locos) - tis winding gear that I'm doing.

Looks like the messages have been time expired - wasnt sure if was supposed to put them on alt.binaries.pictures.rail as only loosely related. Can either put a few back or mail them direct if you like. Also got a set of Stephenson Winding House and Loco shed as memtioned in the snibston website. Both typical of Leicestershire and South Derbyshire collieries. Oh and what looks like underground tubs. One day will take a close up of a wheel - theyre all over the place round here (near snibston).

Dare I ask if you want to see the progress of my models as well ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
eric

Yes but beware, when I tried working out exactly how they were constructed and the size of anything it was a nightmare - theres girders all over the place. Normally you get one or two photos of each site, always at dramatic angles to give nice pictures that are useless for modelling. I took 50 photos of the snibston headgear alone, used details from at least

15 and could have done with more.

Simon

Reply to
eric

I am certainly interested in your models - I have learned a lot from other peoples efforts and it is refreshing to see that making things from scratch is still part of railway modelling (Ahern is a hero of mine and it was Buckingham Great Central in Railway Modeller that first got me interested in the hobby)

Any and all prototype pics welcome, I have gathered as much as I could from the web, and purchased a load of books, but I am currently taking time out to be a carer so my books are in storage and visiting sites is a major exercise (have to find a 'sitter' then get there on carers 'wages', neither of which is easy)

If you could e-mail anything it'd help. I want to get the 'lineside industries section of the website at least started and as my books are in storage for the duration this is not as easy as it might have been.

mike at da2c full stop org will find me within 24 hours.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Sorry for the late response .... just dug out these two photos. Both are of the Woodhorn colliery Mining museum in Northumberland: one of me in front of one pit head wheel and another of the pithead gear still in place. Will post on alt.binaries.pictures.rail for you.

Reply to
mcgray

Looks to me like the photos didnt arrive with the messages, any chance of trying again ?

Reply to
eric

Read the last line again.

Reply to
MartinS

Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Many thanks Mike - Ok to use these to llustrate the web page on coal mine ops?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Martin,

I had found the messages on alt.binaries.pictures.rail with the same subject as this thread but there were no photo attachments. Did you see any ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
eric

"eric" wrote

I had found the messages on alt.binaries.pictures.rail with the same subject as this thread but there were no photo attachments. Did you see any ?

Cheers, Simon

Simon/Eric (Come on, clear up the confusion)...

I saw three postings on the NG. One gave details and two further with the atachments.

Check your settings to make sure you are downloading the correct headers etc.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Sorry, I thought you were expecting pics in this group.

There are a couple of jpgs in abpr from snipped-for-privacy@telus.net posted today (Tues.) 08:15 GMT.

Reply to
MartinS

Thanks Andy, Its a mystery, either theres a setting somewhere I cant find - could be Norton though. Or its BT's newserver.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Forgot to ask - is anyone else using BT's newserver, if so can they see the photos.

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
simon

Simon,

Quite a few ISPs have stopped providing binaries on their Usenet service. I don't know about BT in particular, but might be wiorth checking to see if that is the case with them.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

They havent got that far yet but only keep messages for couple of days on that group. I have had problems sending some photos, something somewhere stripping them out. Can see lots of other pictures on the binaries group but the header for the missing ones show a file size of only 1K - if there is a binary then even if not downloaded it shows larger file size. There is a newserver maximum limit though, so if they were over that the BT server may have dumped the attachment.

Thanks for help, will look at them on Mike's website. Cheers, eric

Reply to
simon

Bit of a way togo on that front - Will form part of a section on lineside industries - currently being worked on but not much progress as yet.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike