Early Class 81/2/3/4/5/6/7 livery

Seem to recall than when new these early WCML electrics were painted all over light blue with white window surrounds and (I think) white roofs. Anyone remember if that is right?

Reason is I am adding some loco pics to the website to show beginners the basic shape of things and sample liveries. Not great art it has to be said.

most of the pics so far are in the diesels section.

The colours are a bit iffy as I am laid up with a bad back and only have an elderly laptop to work on (in short bursts), but when I get a chance I will be cleaning all the pictures up and re-uploading them.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Right for 81-86, but 87s appeared in rail blue from new (1973-1975).

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Many thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike

And, of course, the raised cast numbers under the cab side windows :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Aye. Quality!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The earlier ones also had a cast crest (lion holding wheel) midway along the body side, and if memory serves me correct, the 81's (or AL1's as they were at the time) had red buffer beams.

Hope this is of use, David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

Thanks, I think the red buffer beams stayed until the yellow panels came in, someone checked and spotted humans could see yellow better than red. I'll check for a decent pic of the cast crest, unfirtunateky the pics look fine at 1000 pixels wide, rather less so at 400 (which I am keeping to for reasons of space)

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Checked and spotted humans? I had to read that several times!

Reply to
MartinS

Sorry, got a bad back at the mon, in a lot of pain and the pills the pills . . .

Reply to
Mike