Bachmann 0n30

Any comments on this scale of loco from Bachmann, and the availability in the UK.

Reply to
Paul

They are very nice, Bachmann sell them through their dealers, all you need is money. Full details on the Bachmann website. Keith

Reply to
Keith

Run well, nicely detailed. Some are from 3ft prototypes, and so are _big_: they are scaled at 1:48, and AFAICT there are no compromises other than the gauge. Some roadnames are, er, um, fictitious, but they all look good. Bachmann even makes narrow gauge trucks/bogies, ie, ones with longer wheelbases than HO trucks, so you can easily scratchbuild your own rolling stock. Metal wheels, BTW, to RP25 profile.

The range is expanding, with diesel critters, a couple of Porter

4-coupled tank lokies (about the size of an HO 0-6-0 switcher), geared locos, and a rail truck "based on" the vehicles built by Rio Grande and others. Prices are about the same as similar sized HO locos from the Spectrum line. Bachmann imports directly into Canada, so prices are not inflated compared to US ones. I can quote price, postage costs, and availability if you're interested - e-mail me off list, dropping the 'e' in the replyto address.

I run their narrow-gauge trolley car under the Christmas tree, in Christmas livery. Apart from the holly etc, it looks a lot like some of the enclosed IoM cars. I found a suitably sized plastic Santa this year, to set up on one of the end platforms this year. Cool!

As with all Bachmann, it helps to check the lubrication, especially after extended storage, and if necessary add few drops and dabs where needed - use plastic compatible lubes, as some of the under-floor parts are styrene.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I have found them very good, especially after a running in period. Easily available at good prices in the UK at places like Tower models or EDM. Some are comming ready fitted with DCC. A number of good detail and conversion kits to suit these chassis at Backwoods Miniatures.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs