New Boeing Commercial Aircraft Livery Tips?

All,

I'm just starting on a long-term project to do the entire Boeing 7x7 line in

1/144 using the new Boeing Commercial Aircraft livery. For an example, check out:
I have lots of good photos to go on and copy of the Boeing livery guide (i.e colour codes) but I'm wondering about the sequencing and would appreciate any advice. I've got construction done and I'm in the midst of priming (Tamiya white from a rattle can). The plan is:
  1. Brush paint gloss white around the middle then mask the "horizon line"
  2. Brush paint the upper fuselage light grey
  3. Brush paint the lower fuselage dark blue and a "blob" over the wing above the horizon line, then mask off the dark blue stripes and the bottom half
  4. Airbrush the light blue "blush" at the front and over the dark blue blob w/ stripe masking
  5. Gloss coat everything
  6. Apply decals
  7. Future the fuselage
  8. Metalize the wings, horzontal tail, engine exhausts, etc.

Does anyone have any advice on a better sequence? I'm particularly concerned about step 5, getting good enough coverage with the light blue over the dark blue stripes without getting the paint so thick that I get ridges when I pull the masking.

I also lost the flight deck windows somewhere during construction...anyone know where I could find a replacement for an Airfix 1/144 727-200?

All ideas welcome, Tom.

Reply to
Tom Sanderson

I believe you left out the first step.

  1. Write royalty check payable to The Boeing Company.

;^)

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

Not when you already work there...

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Sanderson

Sounds OK to me but there is a group of airliner builders out there. I correspond frequently with one and I'll pass this on to him for comment.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

My friend in the airliner group says you're probably on the right path. He has reservations about brush painting but you may do better. He also has a windshield. Send me an e-mail at the verizon address and I'll give you his contact information.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Anyone else wondering if the new guy from Boeing will have Ford laying it on the model car manufacturers? 'Twas my first thought. ;]

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

If ya got an air brush use it on all the colors.

Reply to
NOCKERS

For your window decals try here

NOCKERS

or try AHS may have what you need

NOCKERS

Mad-Modeller wrote: : Anyone else wondering if the new guy from Boeing will have Ford laying : it on the model car manufacturers? : 'Twas my first thought. ;] : Too late. Billy was already bending the model companies over the table.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Since you own an airbrush you should realize that using it for all the colors is the only way to get good paint job. Unless you are a brush painting expert... I'm not... In your sequence I would do:

Use gloss paints!

  1. Airbrish gloss white around the middle then mask the "horizon line"
1A. Leave that mask on! 1B. Mask the entire top fuselage. Start somewhere on top of mask from 1A.
  1. Airbrush the lower fuselage gloss dark blue
2B. Remove mask from step 1B - leave mask from 1A still on.. 2C. Mask the lower fuselage. Start again somewhere on top of mask from 1A.
  1. Airbrush the top fuselage gloss light gray. Leave all the previous masks on.
3C. Mask (or airbrush free hand) the gloss light blue blob and "blush" over the white line 3D. mask the light blue stripes above the white line (which is still masked). Airbrush gloss dark blue.
  1. Skip "Future" as things are already glossy. :-)
5A. remove all the remaining masking.
  1. Apply decals

Yes, I'm a bit anal, but I like my paint jobs done well.

Or you could have full decals made for each aircraft. Since the fuselage is white, you could make decals on Color Laser Printer.

I also recommend that you join

and post your questions there.

Peteski

Reply to