Diesel Spotters Guide:

Back in the mid-eighties, I had a book that I considered as the "Diesel Spotters Guide" for British Rail locomotives. I remember seeing several pages devoted to locomotives such as the "Kestral" and the Metropolitan Vickers 10000 (?). This book also went into some detail concerning lesser known locomotives, such as the Clayton (Cl 17 ?) and the early models (LMS) of the Cl 08's & 09's. I doubt very much if this particular book is still in print, but is there available a "Diesel Spotters Guide" for British Diesel locomotives. The newer locomotives don't really interest me too much, just the earlier ones. Also the name and postal & e-mail address of a stockist for this book(s) would be most helpful. Another question if i may: Did the U.S. built (by General Motors) SW

1000 (?) as owned by Yoeman have a classification (i.e. such as CL 20)? Thank you for any and all information that you can give me.

Lawrence White

Reply to
Papa Bear

I vaguely know the loco you mean, but like many engines working within an industrial site on company-owned tracks, it wouldn't usually have had to access BR (as was) lines, and so there was no need for a class designation, not needing to be listed on the TOPS database.

David Belcher

Reply to
deb107_york

Hi Lawrence.

I remember an old Ladybird book of diesel and steam locos which featured some very nice paintings / illustrations of locos - a mix of BR standard steam and BR green diesels.

On the subject of American diesels (if anyone is interested) I recommend a small book written by Gerald Foster entitled A field guide to trains of North America, published by Houghton Mifflin ISBN

0-395-70112-0.

This little book contains sketch type drawings highlighting differences between one type of diesel and another, an example being the difference in grilles on a GE C40-8 and GE C40-9, which otherwise look very similar.

There is an entry for SW1000, SW1001 and SW1500 which advises that they are 3 inches longer than their predecessor classes SW7, SW9 and SW1200, and SW8, SW600 and SW900. The book also includes three of the aforementioned sketches.

The answer to your question though is no the SW1000 do not have another designation.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Reply to
wyrleybart

Out of gauge for BR, so unlikely to ever need TOPS code, even more so than the American designed/built locos at BSC Port Talbot were. The new EWS Vosslohs are also out-of-gauge, but visit Dolland's Moor for maintenance, so have TOPS code 21(?) Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Not finished yet, and I am not an artist, however . . .

Other sections deal with electrics, DEMUs EMUs and DMUs - Havent started on the steam yet.

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Mr.Smith: Thank you so much for the very informative site. I shall do my best to learn from it.

Lawrence White

Reply to
Papa Bear

Was it this one?

It certainly meets the criteria you mentioned.

Reply to
Kevin Martin

"British Rail Main Line Diesels" by Marsden & Fenn is pretty-much the 'bible' for this subject.

There's a review of it by some idiot at:-

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I have spent half the night absorbing the information about the British railway system etc.. I have found this particular site very interesting to say the least. In reading about couplings, I seem to be unable to find anything about couplings as used on "slip" coaches et.. Here in America, we call this proceedure a "Dutch Drop". Anyway, any information concerning "Slipping" (for want of a better word) would be most helpful to me. I may not be fully "Anglicized" in my railway interest, but it will surely be fun. Thanks for any and all help with this question.

Lawrence White

Reply to
Papa Bear

A bit of information here

Reply to
ricardianno

The brake and steam hoses had special valves on the connections which would snap closed when they were pulled apart. The coupling hook was hinged, with a lever in the guard's compartment which would drop it. here were large vacuum reservoirs under the carriage so the brake could be operated and released several times.

The drawbacks were that they had to be operated by a specially trained, top link guard, they only worked in one direction (typically from London) and had to be attached to a regular train that stopped at the station on the way back, and they sometimes stopped short of the intended station and had to be picked up by the station pilot (a locomotive that did general station work).

There were also cross-country slip workings. One of the most interesting was from Liverpool to Folkeston carrying passengers off the transatlantic steamers to the channel ferry for France. The carriage was worked from Liverpool to Rock Ferry via the Mersey Tunnel, attached to a Birkenhead to London train, slipped at Reading and then worked forward to Folkeston.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee