Turning 101, need help with new lathe

Still fiquring out the new control, Seimens 840C. It's DOS based PC running DR DOS 6.0.
Question is what's the best set-up for drilling holes? I have 3
boring bar holders, 1.500" ID. Use a 3/4" straight shank arbor on on drill chuck and bush the 1.5" down to fit. Use a collet holder in there?
Un like my manual lathe I know you don't use the tailstock to drill holes, so what's the best way? it seems like you will use up a lot of Z space adding a collet holer or drill chuck to the front of the boring bar holder, is there another type of holder for this?
Randy
Hyundai HIT-18S
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Randy wrote:

Randy, I use these stubby double angle holders for smaller drills in my lathe:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE89&PMCTLG
I have 100 and 180 series so I can go from 3/64"-3/4".
I'm sure you can find similar in ER type collets if that's what your currently using.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

I suggest that if you're turning 101 you have a nice birthday party for yourself complete with hot chicks and booze, lathes or whatever else you want. Congratulations.

Probably rarely a need to adapt (or even stock ) oddball sizes in the larger drills unless maybe your doing long run work--instead, get yourself a couple of those insert drills that also double as boring bar and then fab or purchase a handful of reducing bushings to suit--as already noted, use a collet system for the smaller stuff.
BTW, happy birthday !!!
Randy wrote:

Drill chucks are for drill presses. Leave them there.
Buy straight body collet chucks that fit your boring holders, and a selection of ER collets. A couple different size collet chucks can give you a lot of range. Maybe start with ER-16, 20, and 32 sizes. (Don't buy 25's. The 20's and 32's overlap nicely. Don't waste money on teeny tiny. The ER-16's go pretty small with good grip and accuracy.) The chucks don't take up much Z space if you put them into the boring holders so only the nut sticks out. You may need to cut the tails off to avoid interference when the turret indexes with collet chucks sticking out the back. That's nasty and expensive.
For bigger drills that will twist in a collet, consider insert types. A small set of basic sizes, then bore.
KG

Thanks for all the replies.
I use ER16's in my VMC now along with ER32's and TG75, 100, 150's
Randy Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.