Rotary tables

    --Have just about given up trying to make do with a Sherline cnc rotary table. What's the next step up in terms of torque? Gotta be 'closed
loop', too.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : $150,000,000,000 in pork??
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Where's my share???

a rotary table is for positioning, a sherline is small parts; are you
trying to turn a part or do you have a heavy part ?
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    --Here's a video of what I'm doing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ΚSnbTeknzE     --For a small part, in this case 1/8" x 1/2" flat aluminum bar it's doable but I want to scale up and do some larger pieces; i.e. 1/4" x 1" al.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : $150,000,000,000 in pork??
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Where's my share???
βœ–

Too bad you can't control your X and Y axis..
That would be SO easy to interpolate with X,Y axis.. So much easier.
βœ–

actually it looks dead simpler to me the way he's doing it
perhaps your local cnc machine dealer/ repair might have a used rotary table they can salvage from some machine they can sell you for a song
Add pictures here
βœ–

sheesh...toss that sherline and use a shoulder bolt to pivot the fixture on--rotate with a large crescent wrench.

βœ–

    --Heh. Been there, done that but finish is critical and I couldn't get a good enough finish on a grinder.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : $150,000,000,000 in pork??
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Where's my share???
βœ–

Who said anything about grinding ?

βœ–

    --Well that was the previous method I used, with part located via predrilled hole, on a pin. Have done this sort of thing with a milling cutter too but it sorta creeps me out and I'd rather avoid it if at all possible. No sweat; job's done for now but I gotta say that Sherline isn't really a 'rotary table'; more of a rotary indexer, i.e. max torque is only achieved when the motor is motionless. Curiously torque is better at high speeds than at lower ones.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : $150,000,000,000 in pork??
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Where's my share???
βœ–

Why can't you simply interpolate that with X,Y moves?
Why even fool with the rotary table? It does look cool to watch.
βœ–

    --Ah! Because I'm doing this on a 'manual' mill! :-) I've got a stepper on X that I use for rapid table moves back and forth, etc. Makes it really fast for onesy-twosies. For real production I head over to the 4-axis machine but these parts didn't deserve that kind of electric bill, heh.