Rotary tables

--Have been making do with a Sherline cnc rotary table; it works but it has a few issues. I'm thinking of stepping up to a closed-loop system with a little more torque. Can someone suggest something that doesn't cost ten times as much? Not even sure if one exists tho...

Reply to
steamer

Replace the stepper with a big larger DC servo and encoder and a Gecko drive. Use the same RT and add a few hundred dollars in the new servo and drive, drive with same software.

Reply to
Pete C.

--Neat idea; me liiiike! Forgot to post link to current work:

--Kinda silly setup but it uses a lot less power than the MiniMill and it's adequate for the job.

Reply to
steamer

I built a few motion systems on my former companies dime. I know steppers are cheap but if you blow past the limits, a servo recloses the loop when it has a chance. Steppers just sit outside, kicked to the curb, never catching up again.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

True, though servo system can be and are built using both steppers as well as the usual DC and AC motors. I believe one company makes a product that is a stepper with an integral encoder and drive.

Reply to
Pete C.