Anti-virus on your cadcam box.

Been using Panda for a couple years now. But now that I've transfered it to my NX box, it's become bloater-ware and tends to thrash the drive when it feels like. Quite the resource hog while I'm trying to work.

Been looking at Eset non32 av4. Several friends have it and are happy but not cad users. It's said to have a small footprint as well. Anyone?

-- Bill

Reply to
BillT

Typo... That should read NOD32

-- Bill

Reply to
BillT

Maybe Iv'e become lazy, or maybe complacent since I installed Firefox, but it seems like a spybot scan can catch anything, and remove most of it. A simple google search on things it can't will get you directions. If I download something, i'll do a spybot search, if I am surfing down dark ally's, again I'll spybot search. In the meantime I save 25% of my resources not running some bloated power hungry crap that is so poorly written it screws everything up.

Reply to
vinny

Well, years back I learned that the Norton/Symantec products were worse than a virus itself. So I switched to PCCillian which became bloater-ware as well. Then I switched to Panda which started out ok but now it's a pig. So... looking again. I don't use IE or Outlook and I run through a router so that helps but you still need basic anti-virus.

-- Bill

Reply to
BillT

I quit installing AV programs 5 or 6 years ago. They're pretty useless if you don't have no0bs using your computer, and you take a few precautions and use a little common sense.

And yeah, Norton is one of the worst.... I've been recommending Avast for a while now, and it has worked out well for everyone using it.

Reply to
sittingduck

Norton is the wost. Years ago I had the corporate edition with all the bells & whistles- up to date defs, it still let in shit it could not delete. Ya you got a virus & I can not delete it! WTF? Avast has been good for me, & its free!

cncmillgil

NOD is good stuff. Run it at home for years. At work I recently switched to "Microsoft Security Essentials". Small footprint, seems to play well with everything...and its free.

Reply to
Zymrgy

¸.?*´¯)¸.?*´¯)¤ª"?¨¨¯¯¨¨?"ª

Norton had a complete re-write for 2009, and is FAR more lightweight than they used to be. I've got a site license now for Norton 2010, and don't even notice it running.

Reply to
Steve Mackay

Avast... I'll take a look. I can't remember the last time a trojan or virus was found on my system. It's more a comfort thing.

-- Bill

Reply to
BillT

Haven't heard of Msoft Security Essentials. I've always stayed away from their assesory products if possible since many of the virus, trojan, and malware were specificly targeting Msoft products. Whether it's $40 or free is not an issue in the big picture for me. I'll take a look there as well.

-- Bill

Reply to
BillT

Norton is a virus.

Reply to
Uhh Clem

Yeah....you name one virus that can suck up anything near the resources norton does AND tricks you into paying for it. That crap needs a new name to describe it, virus is too good for it.

Reply to
vinny

Let the Record show that "vinny" on or about Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:59:18 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in alt.machines.cnc the following:

Windows.

Oh wait, that's not a bug, that a feature.

pyotr filipivich

Im quite happy with AVG

Gunner

Reply to