Stu Ricmond on Mode I

Be sure to get a copy of R/C Report, September 04 and read Stu Richmond's Just Plane Fun column. Is he serious or not? You be the judge.

Per Mr. Richmond, "I don't know of even one advantage to flying R/C using a Mode II transmitter. That's right, not even one. And in this month I'm going to try to explain how and why I feel this way."

He would like your comments: snipped-for-privacy@rcreport.ws

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I think he has a lot of valid points, however, I don't think I could relearn in Mode II at this point.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

Stu is welcome to his opinion but he could certainly lead newbies (in the U.S.) into setting up their radios this way, showing up at the field where odds are that everyone there flys mode II. Hence, no help for them. I doubt he will change many flyer's minds about mode II here in the U.S. tho.

Reply to
aerobatic69

There is no doubt in my mind that Stu is ALMOST correct i.e. ALMOST! (;-))<

Mode 1 does provide the very best precision flying if ONE CAN DO IT. I AIN'T ONE OF THOSE. I have known a number of fliers that are so well coordinated they can switch back and forth. Again I ain't one of those. So, Stu forgets that one little item -- can't do it. That is my advantage as if I tried to do it, I would soon be out of airplanes and too broke to buy enough to learn. (;-))<

After nearly 13 years with a control stick in the right hand and a throttle in the left hand, then going into airline work, just flying a yoke was a problem. Then after *yoking* with the right hand and the throttles in the left hand(CP), it was a challenge to transition to left hand yoke and right hand throttles (Capt.). Humbled myself a couple times, I did fer shore!!!

BTW Stu is a bit off the course with his discription of the Capt/Co-Plt thing in his discription of a left-seater flying Mode 1. Stu says the Capt is flying Mode 1 because he has the elevator on the left side. Stu forgets that the left hand controls the aileron as well as the elevator, so it ain't really Mode 1. So Stu, if you are reading this I am the guy going in on the target with a stick for ailerons and elevator in me lil' ol right hand, I am. That Sir is MY ADVANTAGE! Me ol' hat is well off to you guys that do the Mode 1 thing. Enjoy whatever makes you happy.

Horrace Cain AMA 539

Reply to
CainHD

Stu lost me when he started talking about the left and right brain stuff. That's a load of crap. Eye-hand coordination between the left and right side of the brain isn't an issue because it all comes down to neurons connecting to proper pathways, and that comes from repetition, not from strict "left" or "right" sided brain activity. He uses a medical fact to push his theory but connecting the dots the way he does is nonsense. It sounds to me that he's just another opinionated modeler (as we know, there's no shortage of those among us :-) who likes to do something a certain way and feels that he has to convince others of doing it the same way as a means for him to feel that he is, in his own mind, doing it the "right way" because "he's" doing it. Maybe I should argue for using Mode III or Mode IV and see where THAT conversation takes us...

MJC

"CainHD" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m26.aol.com...

Reply to
MJC

what about single stick flyers ? (o:

Reply to
olderthandirt

For the benefit of the an antipodean unfamiliar with parochial personality, who is Stu Richmond and what qualification/s of relevance does he hold which might lend *logic* based credibility to his opine?

Is R/C report available online anywhere? I'd like to read the article.

The envy of all the rest of us. :-) It probably more closely replicates a full size plane than any of the other modes (just substitute stick rotation for rudder pedals).

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Stu Richmond is a legend (at least in his own mind). He has been a writer for many years in model magazines, formerly with RC Modeler for eons, and was picked up by RC Report when he left RCM. He is a member of the AMA Hall of Fame as I recall.

Those that have had the opportunity to know Stu will all agree at least on one thing. He is unique.

RC Report web site is

but they don't put their whole magazine on line. It is one of the best buys in modeling magazines however and considered by many to be the best in the US at least.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

How about he try's to use my Kraft single stick radio, bet he couldn't do it, by the by, what mode would you call a single stick radio that has the E-R-A on the same stick and the T on the right side of the radio ??????

Robert

Reply to
Robert Williams

I read Stu's article and came away totally confused by the arguments he used to support his ideas. He used full scale examples to support his throttle and yoke placement, yet in Mode 1 which he advocates, the combined functions of the full scale yoke are separated to differnent sticks. Can you imagine flying a full scale with the elevator and ailerons divided between two sticks. RC controls and full scale controls are apples and oranges. That's part of why full scale guys don't have much of an advantage as RC beginners. Remember elevator and ailerons are on one yoke/stick in full scale 'cause it works better that way by leaving one hand free to do other things like throttle, trim, flaps, gear, and also scratch. And it doesn't matter which hand you use to effect control. As for his righty/lefty argument, if that was so there would never be any good left handed piano or guitar players, or RC flyers. If you want the cub or P-51 thing he refers to, just take the springs off your gimbals, or as I have done adjust or weaken them so you can barely feel them. I don't think that it makes much difference to your performance if you fly one mode or another..lefty or not...because you eventually have to learn to use both sticks in concert. If you fly really well you will already have learned to use the rudder and throttle constantly, and more than likely with two fingers on the sticks rather than thumbs. Eventually after flying many years, most RC plyers say the their mental perception of the RC aircraft is from the cockpit, so I feel the better arrangememt is elevator/ailerons one hand and rudder/throttle in the other hand. To me that would be Mode II.

Phil AMA609

"Red Scholefield" wrote in message news:...

Reply to
pcoopy

I fly Mode1 and prefer doing so. However, I would not say this mode o

that mode would be a better choice for any one else. Many hav different preferences. I flew for 10 years on M-1 and switched to M- because most of my flying friends were into Pattern and I wanted hel starting. Glad I changed but I did struggle for awhile. I have see great flyers on Mode1, Mode2, Mode3, single stick, thumbs only, thumb and fingers, and as with single stick; the whole hand. Can anyone kno for sure until/unless all modes are tried before choosing one? Mos flyers I know fly Mode-2 and are happy. Except me of course

-- mode

----------------------------------------------------------------------- mode1's Profile:

this thread:

mode1

I dunno about Stu, but when I fly I use both sticks. I can't fly using only aileron and elevator, it would be most unnatural. I'm used to using rudder and throttle all during the flight. Trying telling a 3D flyer or pattern flyer that they only use two primary controls, bet they will correct you in a hurry.

Reply to
aerobatic69

I read with great interest about Mode 1 vs Mode 2. I fly mode 2 and may be biased to that mode. but here goes:

Some flyers set their trims so that they have to hold a slight amount of up ele. to hold the plane in level flight. The reason for this is that when doin rolling maneuvers, not much ele. in used when inverted. Now comes the problem: with this set up when the retracts switch is used the pilot must remove his hand from the ele. stick to activate the switch which is most times located on the upper left side of the TX. This is for mode 1 flyers as ele. is on the left stick.

I have seen a few people switch from mode 2 to mode 1 very well. But most well be really screwed up trying to switch.

One argument in favor of mode 1 is that you are seperating the two major control functions and will not influence one another. The choice is yours. Dan.

Reply to
DANNYSPEED

So we should maybe address you as Doctor? Of neurology perhaps? That is to say, what credentials do you have to say he's wrong?

Ah yup!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Right on, Red. If ANY mode of model control can be argued for being absolutely the best, Single Stick would have to be it, not Mode I. I wonder if Futaba has taken note that their now-discontinued high end single stick transmitters are selling for more now on Ebay than they did whey they were new?

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Then you need to get any one of the "new generation" transmitters, the most notable being the Multiplex EVO. It (and some others) allow free assignment of most functions to any switch on the radio so the user can set up his own ergonomics with regard to switch location anywhere they want. Ten years ago, radios mostly had fixed locations for certain function switches, but not anymore.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

As far as being an opinionated modeler, I have the exact same qualifications as Stu Richmond, i.e., I have an opinion. Just like him. As far as the medical stuff; anyone who is not a moron and who has taken high-school biology understands Stu's assertion about left and right brain control being opposite from one side of the body to the other. Since you don't seem to understand that part of the discussion; which are you, a moron or someone who never went to high school?

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Someone who, unlike you, doesn't automatically assume expertise on a subject he was briefly exposed to in a High School class room! And someone who knows better than to use High School experience as credentials. Unlike you of course of which I am thankful!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

My, but ignorance must be bliss, and you seem to have trouble with basic language skills as well so you must be one blissful, happy, guy. I simply referred to the idea that anyone with a simple high school education can UNDERSTAND what Richmond intended to explain. I made no mention that anyone, including Richmond, me, or anyone else had expertise on the subject.

MJC

Reply to
MJC