Poor Stu Richmond

Poor Stu,

After last months treatise on unquestioned superiority of Mode I, in this months' (10/04) column he is plagued by VIRUSES. Viruses so bad they killed his iMac computer. Now he is working with a "very expensive" E-Mac and to protect himself from viruses he will not accept any attachments from readers for his Just Plane Fun column in R/C Report. Don't they make anti-virus programs for Macs? He wants digital photos sent to him on a CD to his home address. Can't you stick a virus on a CD along with anything else?

Red S. Protected by Norton

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Yes.

Absolutely!

Dr1 (Protector Plus) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Supriority of Mode 1??? Am I confused as to which mode is which? Is that why no full scale I know of uses that control arrangement? All of the stick/yoke planes I have seen use elevator/aileron on one stick/yoke. Except for those oddballs out there.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Someone please tell him. snipped-for-privacy@rcreport.ws And don't make it an attachment. :-)

Reply to
Red Scholefield

You would have to read his article on the subject. September issue of R/C Report. He takes up nearly four pages trying to prove his point. Responses in October issue show pretty well that he didn't, at least to a couple of modelers that have a lot of Mode II time in full size airplanes.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

| Supriority of Mode 1??? Am I confused as to which mode is which? | Is that why no full scale I know of uses that control arrangement? | All of the stick/yoke planes I have seen use elevator/aileron on one | stick/yoke. Except for those oddballs out there.

To be fair, I've never seen a full scale plane where the primary flight controls (elevator, throttle, rudder, ailerons) were controlled by two small sticks ...

| > After last months treatise on unquestioned superiority of Mode I

I hope you're not daring to question it!

| > in this months' (10/04) column he is plagued by VIRUSES. Viruses | > so bad they | killed his iMac computer. Now he is working with a | > "very expensive" E-Mac

Compared to PCs, Macs *are* expensive. Try to be more considerate!

| > and to protect himself from viruses he will not accept any | > attachments from readers for his Just Plane Fun column in R/C | > Report.

That seems a reasonable precaution, if you don't understand how to deal with untrusted attachments. Not that dealing with attachments is difficult ...

We could pitch in and get him a type writer?

| > Don't they make anti-virus programs for Macs? He wants digital | > photos sent to him on a CD to his home address. Can't you stick a | > virus on a CD along with anything else?

Of course not. Viruses only propagate via the intar-web. I thought you knew that!

| > Red S. | > Protected by Norton

Doug. Protected by common sense. I've found that by not running programs from untrusted sources, I don't get computer viruses. Funny that? I think the last time I had a problem with a virus on my computer was

1991. And no, I don't run anti-virus software, except at work when it's forced on me -- and in that case the software causes me far more problems than viruses ever did.
Reply to
Doug McLaren

Viruses as a general rule DO NOT get passed around on disks. Way too expensive. In this case, it would have to be a modelere intent on giving Stu in particular a virus, not very likely, and that would be one sad pathetic modeler to do so.

Reply to
Frank Costa

The control arrangements of full size aircraft has absolutely nothing to do with whether mode 1 or 2 is best... especially to someone like me and most of those I've flown with as we have never sat in a full size cockpit, let alone flown a full sized plane.

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

Killled his computer? Rubbish.

I have been on the net for years and years with my Mac and have had very little trouble with the nasties - there certainly are some very good protection apps for the Mac, and that is what he needs. Nortons has always worked for me.

You can very definately put a virus on a CD - and it has been done to a commercial release CD

David - who th>

Reply to
quietguy

He needs to think a little more - Mode 1 is great, but best reserved for the more expert pilots, and clearly if his previous computer was riddled with viruses, just getting a faster one with a larger, flatter screen isn't going to solve his problem - he should really be considering moving to a more compatible, secure and less virus-prone platform.

Reply to
Russ

The point here is that viruses CAN EXIST on disks, and will infect a computer just as quickly as email viruses. If you unknowingly copy an infected file to a disk and send it to him, he'll still get infected.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

For a "Prominent" (his words) Hobby columnist he has always been very guarded on who he gave out phone number, address and e-mail address to. Never while he was with RC Modeler. It seems that all the columnists for RC Report are (or were) accessible through a *****@rcreport.ws address. If his system is so vulnerable to viruses, its a wonder he even still uses e-mail since as we have been told, they can sneak in unseen with simple e-mails.

As for Mode I for "experienced" pilots there are still a few world class R/C flyers that apparantly haven't gotten that message. :-)

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I think you are mistaken there. The biggest problem with Government computers is people brining in infected disks to the workplace. That is why the DoD purchased a license for NAV Corporate Edition for every employee to use on their home computers

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

It DOES make a difference as many full size planes are now fly-by-wire and use a small joystick for basic flight controls. The fact that they retained basic Mode II (elevator/aileron or pitch /roll on one stick) layout is significant. It is also significant in that the basics of Mode II (elevator/aileron on one stick) has been used in virtually every full scale since they were designed. The reason? I would guess because it is intuitive?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I know a few world class pilots like that.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The fact remians that for the general public 99.9999% of the viruses they receive are the kind that propagate by email, 99.9999% of which will not infect files that a person creates, they make their own hidden files that perform tasks, and if it makes Stu more comforatable to get disks, then I see no reason to mock the man for that or any other reason, or even bringing it up for that matter, maybe he's just not computer savy, so what . Good grief, sometimes the guys on the internet act like a bunch of bored wives in a sewing circle. Be men, quit gossiping already. Are we going to have a new gossip thread every month when his column comes out now, looking for any reason to cast dispersions ans fling backhanded comments? Is Stu like Jim McNeil, someone who is plucked from the crowd for "special treatment"?

Reply to
Frank Costa

Significant, maybe to a pilot that's been trained that way ever since he/she stepped into a cockpit. The ergonomics may make sense when you're strapped into a seat with a stick between your legs with many other controls dotted around the dashboard, but still has no significance to a model aircraft pilot who hangs his entire control set around his neck with all the controls at his/her fingertips, especially if the model pilot hasn't ever been trained in a full size aircraft.

Just because it's always been done that way doesn't mean that it's the best way to do it... example? The qwerty keyboard for one... and there must be more of them around than aircraft cockpits...

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

I am not sure about the situation with CDs, but certainly with floppies some viri self install on any floppy that is inserted into the computer that is hosting the virus. It doesn't take a wilful act, the virus does it - in fact my flate mate got into a big fuss when she took an infected floppy to Uni to printout some data and went to use it on one of their computers - neither of us knew that her computer was infected.

I am pretty sure the same thing would work on a CD - ie the virus installs itself on any CD that is burnt on the infected machine

David

Mathew Kirsch wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Ummmmm...

Guys...

Fkying a full size aircraft REQUIRES one to keep continuous input on the 'primary flight controlls... R,E & A...

...OK..OK... - I Just cannot afford a 3 axis autopilot on our

172....

Now, if you put TWO sticks in the cockpit, (4 in a dual control airplane - mode I right?)... WHICH ONE are you going to let go of to operate flaps,landing gear, brakes (on some airplanes), assorted radios, charts, GPS, DF's, lights, breakers, heater controls, alt air, cowl flaps, turbos, ... the list goes on......

This the same reason some of us fly complex models with a SINGLE STICK transmitter....

Yes, Santa's Eleves STILL make them...

We (like the pilots of full size aircraft) like to have one hand (thumb) free to operate other essentials while one hand retains control of the primary flight controls... (R&E, arguably the rudder as well)

Two sticks in a cockpit!! To me thats about as silly as two sticks on a transmitter

And for the record, I am a licensed pilot, and fly models both single & two stick....

YMMV...

...now where is the nomex... :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Doug,

You are one lucky person or are infected and don't know it. BTW, viruses can and do propagate from infected programs and not just email. CD's and floppies can and do contian viruses. As a matter of fact, the only way to get a boot sector virus is from an infected floppy or CD. It's not as common now as it was 10 years ago or so but it can still happen. I know, I spend an inordinate amount of time removing them from clients computers. Spyware, adware, and webpage hijackers are another nasty reality of the modern web. If you are running naked, you are most likely infected and don't lnow it.

MACs do have AV software and they can be cleaned without destroying the computer same as PC's. The process is a little different, but it can be done. I suspect that what nailed poor Stu was more in the line of spyware/adware as those will slow your computer to an unusable crawl. Those are obtained from unscrupulous web page designers and businesess.

Reply to
Black Cloud