Poor Stu Richmond

Poor Stu,
After last months treatise on unquestioned superiority of Mode I, in this months' (10/04) column he is plagued by VIRUSES. Viruses so bad they killed
his iMac computer. Now he is working with a "very expensive" E-Mac and to protect himself from viruses he will not accept any attachments from readers for his Just Plane Fun column in R/C Report. Don't they make anti-virus programs for Macs? He wants digital photos sent to him on a CD to his home address. Can't you stick a virus on a CD along with anything else?
Red S. Protected by Norton

Yes.
Absolutely!
Dr1 (Protector Plus) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Someone please tell him. snipped-for-privacy@rcreport.ws And don't make it an attachment. :-)
Red S.

Viruses as a general rule DO NOT get passed around on disks. Way too expensive. In this case, it would have to be a modelere intent on giving Stu in particular a virus, not very likely, and that would be one sad pathetic modeler to do so.

The point here is that viruses CAN EXIST on disks, and will infect a computer just as quickly as email viruses. If you unknowingly copy an infected file to a disk and send it to him, he'll still get infected.
I am not sure about the situation with CDs, but certainly with floppies some viri self install on any floppy that is inserted into the computer that is hosting the virus. It doesn't take a wilful act, the virus does it - in fact my flate mate got into a big fuss when she took an infected floppy to Uni to printout some data and went to use it on one of their computers - neither of us knew that her computer was infected.
I am pretty sure the same thing would work on a CD - ie the virus installs itself on any CD that is burnt on the infected machine
David
Mathew Kirsch wrote:

--
If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

I think you are mistaken there. The biggest problem with Government computers is people brining in infected disks to the workplace. That is why the DoD purchased a license for NAV Corporate Edition for every employee to use on their home computers
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com

The fact remians that for the general public 99.9999% of the viruses they receive are the kind that propagate by email, 99.9999% of which will not infect files that a person creates, they make their own hidden files that perform tasks, and if it makes Stu more comforatable to get disks, then I see no reason to mock the man for that or any other reason, or even bringing it up for that matter, maybe he's just not computer savy, so what . Good grief, sometimes the guys on the internet act like a bunch of bored wives in a sewing circle. Be men, quit gossiping already. Are we going to have a new gossip thread every month when his column comes out now, looking for any reason to cast dispersions ans fling backhanded comments? Is Stu like Jim McNeil, someone who is plucked from the crowd for "special treatment"?

Yep! Though the actual number may be off a bit!

Yep again!

bringing
Just like those who elect to use phony addresses! Some people simply can not accept the idea that others may do things differently! Hmm! Would flying without AMA fall into this category?

wives in

Sometimes?
Now that will be a challenge for some!

And the difference between that and the last few years is????

treatment"?
Check out who the plucker is and consider the record. Then decide for yourself. As for me, I think I'll head for the barn and some conversation far better than I've seen here of late.
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:34:29 -0400, "C.O.Jones"

Don't let the door hit you on the ass when you leave, alias girl.
Texas Pete

better
If you and your name calling is an example of a man? You betcha'!
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:54:25 -0400, "C.O.Jones"

Back so soon, hon?
Texas Pete

Head for the barn and clean up the horse shit like you were hired to do, sissy boy.

better
Sticks and stones people! Sticks and stones! You're really showing you class or lack there of with the name calling!

better
And BTW, I wasn't hired to clean the barn. I OWN the barn. It's just that I often find the conversation there far more stimulating from what I find here. And that is just from the horses!
Supriority of Mode 1??? Am I confused as to which mode is which? Is that why no full scale I know of uses that control arrangement? All of the stick/yoke planes I have seen use elevator/aileron on one stick/yoke. Except for those oddballs out there.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com

killed
readers
You would have to read his article on the subject. September issue of R/C Report. He takes up nearly four pages trying to prove his point. Responses in October issue show pretty well that he didn't, at least to a couple of modelers that have a lot of Mode II time in full size airplanes.
Red S.

| Supriority of Mode 1??? Am I confused as to which mode is which? | Is that why no full scale I know of uses that control arrangement? | All of the stick/yoke planes I have seen use elevator/aileron on one | stick/yoke. Except for those oddballs out there.
To be fair, I've never seen a full scale plane where the primary flight controls (elevator, throttle, rudder, ailerons) were controlled by two small sticks ...
| > After last months treatise on unquestioned superiority of Mode I
I hope you're not daring to question it!
| > in this months' (10/04) column he is plagued by VIRUSES. Viruses | > so bad they | killed his iMac computer. Now he is working with a | > "very expensive" E-Mac
Compared to PCs, Macs *are* expensive. Try to be more considerate!
| > and to protect himself from viruses he will not accept any | > attachments from readers for his Just Plane Fun column in R/C | > Report.
That seems a reasonable precaution, if you don't understand how to deal with untrusted attachments. Not that dealing with attachments is difficult ...
We could pitch in and get him a type writer?
| > Don't they make anti-virus programs for Macs? He wants digital | > photos sent to him on a CD to his home address. Can't you stick a | > virus on a CD along with anything else?
Of course not. Viruses only propagate via the intar-web. I thought you knew that!
| > Red S. | > Protected by Norton
Doug. Protected by common sense. I've found that by not running programs from untrusted sources, I don't get computer viruses. Funny that? I think the last time I had a problem with a virus on my computer was 1991. And no, I don't run anti-virus software, except at work when it's forced on me -- and in that case the software causes me far more problems than viruses ever did.
"Bother," said Pooh as he tried on his new Rooskin coat.
Doug McLaren wrote:

Doug,
You are one lucky person or are infected and don't know it. BTW, viruses can and do propagate from infected programs and not just email. CD's and floppies can and do contian viruses. As a matter of fact, the only way to get a boot sector virus is from an infected floppy or CD. It's not as common now as it was 10 years ago or so but it can still happen. I know, I spend an inordinate amount of time removing them from clients computers. Spyware, adware, and webpage hijackers are another nasty reality of the modern web. If you are running naked, you are most likely infected and don't lnow it.
MACs do have AV software and they can be cleaned without destroying the computer same as PC's. The process is a little different, but it can be done. I suspect that what nailed poor Stu was more in the line of spyware/adware as those will slow your computer to an unusable crawl. Those are obtained from unscrupulous web page designers and businesess.
| Doug McLaren wrote:
| > Protected by common sense. I've found that by not running programs | > from untrusted sources, I don't get computer viruses. Funny that? I | > think the last time I had a problem with a virus on my computer was | > 1991.
In that case, the virus was later named `Yaunch'. I think I had DOS and Windows 3.x at the time, and it basically broke all the Windows executables (DOS executables were infected, but continued to work. But the virus couldn't infect Windows executables and let them keep working.) Big pain in the ass. Got it from a BBS.
I learned my lesson then, and that was the last time I had a problem.
| > And no, I don't run anti-virus software, except at work when | > it's forced on me -- and in that case the software causes me far more | > problems than viruses ever did. | | You are one lucky person or are infected and don't know it.
It's neither luck nor ignorance. I just know what I'm doing far better than most.
I also do most of my work on an OS that is very resistant to virii and worms and other malware programs by design. (At least as long as I don't run things as root, which I don't unless they need it.) Also, I keep it up to date by applying patches and the like.
I do have Windows machines, but I just use them for games and the occasional application that are only available on Windows. And they *never* get virii or worms. Occasionally some piece of spyware will get slipped in there, especially when my wife uses them, but they're usually easily removed with SpyBot or something similar.
| BTW, viruses can and do propagate from infected programs and not | just email. CD's and floppies can and do contian viruses. As a | matter of fact, the only way to get a boot sector virus is from an | infected floppy or CD.
That's not true. Windows XP/2K may not allow user programs to write to the boot sector under normal use, but there's little stopping a program from setting up something to run at the next boot. I believe that's how Turbo Tax 2003 got it's little bit of ill-advised copy protection in there, for example.
Still, I haven't heard of a boot sector virus in many years. Not that I've really worried about viruses in a while ...
| It's not as common now as it was 10 years ago or so but it can still | happen. I know, I spend an inordinate amount of time removing them | from clients computers. Spyware, adware, and webpage hijackers are | another nasty reality of the modern web. If you are running naked, | you are most likely infected and don't lnow it.
Nope.
| MACs do have AV software and they can be cleaned without destroying the | computer same as PC's.
Destroyed is way too strong of a word. Any computer can be fixed by just formatting the disk and reinstalling. I occasionally have relatives or friends ask me to fix their computers for them, and usually they're riddled with junk, and so I back up their documents and stuff, and install fresh when it gets bad.
| The process is a little different, but it can be done. I suspect | that what nailed poor Stu was more in the line of spyware/adware as | those will slow your computer to an unusable crawl.
I know there are viruses for the Mac, but have the spyware authors created programs for the Mac yet?
| Those are obtained from unscrupulous web page designers and | businesess.
... of course, they're installed either by insecure applications (IE and Outlook are the biggest offenders) or by users who will run anything. (Wow! Elf Bowling! Click on that! A little flag that sits on the screen! I need that! Do I need a program to tell me the temperature? Hell yes!)
Not that any of this has anything to do with R/C.
R/C related:
Went flying today. It was a very nice day -- about 7 mph winds, but pretty hot (This is Texas, after all.) Flew my Dynaflite Butterfly, a 3 channel glider with a 100" wing span and a 0.20 engine.
It was a bit late for thermal flying, about 3-4pm, but I had no trouble finding thermals and had it high enough that I even lost it for a few scary seconds :)
Alas, I had to land and pack up, because I had forgotten my hat. I'd put on sunscreen (I learned my lesson last time, burning badly), but forgot my hat, and my sweat was getting in my eyes and I couldn't even see. Argh!