poor running

Hi all, I have been given a Hornby GWR 0-4-0 loco, almost new. It is extremely light, plastic body, made in China on the under frame. Its a lovely little engine, and suits my purpose admirably, but it runs horribly, and battles to pull more than a brake van. Can I add some weight to it, would that help? Its not dirt, its hardly been run, and my track is clean. Any suggestions?

scoot

Reply to
scoot

- Weight weight weight!

- Then regear,

- New valve gear ...

- Two axle locos without a compensated axle never run well.

- New metal chassis.

- Replacement scale body.

- Better scale wheels.

Stop anywhere when you're happy. See, it's easy. :-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"scoot" wrote

Cheap and nasty design produces cheap & nasty performance. You could certainly add weight, but that may possibly result in premature expiry of the cheap & nasty gears.

Ensure that the loco wheels are spotlessly clean, and the same for your track - you then may find performance improves a little.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Add weight, some lubrication and a good couple of hours of running in, you will be surprised what a difference it can make. These little engines do run very well with the above, we use them a lot in narrow gauge.

Reply to
MudMuppet