Weathered 37/0 - neat touch...

Just received Bachmann's new weathered 37/0. The optional snow ploughs have also been weathered which is a nice touch as otherwise they would stick out like a sore thumb when fitted. Don't know if this has ever been done before?

The "DCC Ready" logo on Bachmann's recent boxes has antagonised dealers so much some of them are fitting (cheap) decoders themselves before selling them to avoid complaints from customers. The assemby diagram with the 37/0 doesn't mention DCC or even that that the topmost component is a printed cicuit board.

Haven't run the 37/0 yet as my test track is in full view of thieving passers-by during the day.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Have now run the (weathered) 37/0 in conjucntion with Bachmann's E-Z Command using analogue mode (address 10). Unchipped loco runs much more quietly and smoothly than Bachmann-chipped Class 25. That did not surprise me. Loco was actually quieter than when run from conventional Hornby controller 'though not completely silent due to AC whine. There was no obvious trace of mains hum. Oddly for a centre-driven mechanism the 37/0 ran appreciably faster in one direction than in the other? In either direction top speed was not excessive but still around twice what I would need in practice on any layout.

Next I tried an unchipped Hornby Class 91 with the E-Z command, it accelerated from zero to Mach 1 in about 0.5 secs at 1/10th of full power. Although the Class 91 could be chipped to improve its running characteristics the E-Z command does not permit CV parameters to be reprogrammed.

Finally I tried an ancient Triang A1A-A1A. Oh dear, stop-start, stop-start. This was completely beyond redemption. The auxiliary pickups have lost their spring tension despite several attempts over the years to readjust them. Am now reconciled to buying the all-new Hornby A1A-A1A when it comes out. Bachmann's rather peculiar track connectors have also lost their spring tension despite having been used only once before. To confuse matters for beginners both are coloured red rather than one red and one black.

There is a warning in the E-Z instruction leaflet not to use analogue mode (address 10) with coreless motors. There is also a warning not to use DCC-chipped locomotives with DC feedback controllers. It occurs to me that the complete beginner the digital starter sets are aimed at would not have a clue as to what either a coreless motor or DC feedback was? It also turns out the seemingly redundant black phono-to-phono lead included in the strter sets is for the purpose of fitting an auxilliary DC handset which is not as yet available. According to the instructions (which may be wrong) it is not possible to use an auxilliary DC handset and analogue mode (address 10) at the same time.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Remove the capacitors around the motor and on the printed circuit board of the class 25 to get rid of the buzz/humming.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner wrote:-

My purpose was to compare the fitted and unfitted locos directly as supplied by Bachmann which is how the average beginner would run them. According to the E-Z instructions no capacitors are fittted. They actually say "Do not fit any capacitors in the power supply to the motor and in particular any kind of TV suppressor" so somebody at Bachmann has screwed up royally. My point was that a factory fitted loco should run at least as well as an unfitted version if not significantly better not the other way around. Once I've finished testing I'll remove the offending components and possibly even replace the chip if that becomes necessary.

(kim)

Reply to
kim