Poor Stu Richmond

| > Protected by common sense. I've found that by not running programs | > from untrusted sources, I don't get computer viruses. Funny that? I | > think the last time I had a problem with a virus on my computer was | > 1991.

In that case, the virus was later named `Yaunch'. I think I had DOS and Windows 3.x at the time, and it basically broke all the Windows executables (DOS executables were infected, but continued to work. But the virus couldn't infect Windows executables and let them keep working.) Big pain in the ass. Got it from a BBS.

I learned my lesson then, and that was the last time I had a problem.

| > And no, I don't run anti-virus software, except at work when | > it's forced on me -- and in that case the software causes me far more | > problems than viruses ever did. | | You are one lucky person or are infected and don't know it.

It's neither luck nor ignorance. I just know what I'm doing far better than most.

I also do most of my work on an OS that is very resistant to virii and worms and other malware programs by design. (At least as long as I don't run things as root, which I don't unless they need it.) Also, I keep it up to date by applying patches and the like.

I do have Windows machines, but I just use them for games and the occasional application that are only available on Windows. And they

*never* get virii or worms. Occasionally some piece of spyware will get slipped in there, especially when my wife uses them, but they're usually easily removed with SpyBot or something similar.

| BTW, viruses can and do propagate from infected programs and not | just email. CD's and floppies can and do contian viruses. As a | matter of fact, the only way to get a boot sector virus is from an | infected floppy or CD.

That's not true. Windows XP/2K may not allow user programs to write to the boot sector under normal use, but there's little stopping a program from setting up something to run at the next boot. I believe that's how Turbo Tax 2003 got it's little bit of ill-advised copy protection in there, for example.

Still, I haven't heard of a boot sector virus in many years. Not that I've really worried about viruses in a while ...

| It's not as common now as it was 10 years ago or so but it can still | happen. I know, I spend an inordinate amount of time removing them | from clients computers. Spyware, adware, and webpage hijackers are | another nasty reality of the modern web. If you are running naked, | you are most likely infected and don't lnow it.

Nope.

| MACs do have AV software and they can be cleaned without destroying the | computer same as PC's.

Destroyed is way too strong of a word. Any computer can be fixed by just formatting the disk and reinstalling. I occasionally have relatives or friends ask me to fix their computers for them, and usually they're riddled with junk, and so I back up their documents and stuff, and install fresh when it gets bad.

| The process is a little different, but it can be done. I suspect | that what nailed poor Stu was more in the line of spyware/adware as | those will slow your computer to an unusable crawl.

I know there are viruses for the Mac, but have the spyware authors created programs for the Mac yet?

| Those are obtained from unscrupulous web page designers and | businesess.

... of course, they're installed either by insecure applications (IE and Outlook are the biggest offenders) or by users who will run anything. (Wow! Elf Bowling! Click on that! A little flag that sits on the screen! I need that! Do I need a program to tell me the temperature? Hell yes!)

Not that any of this has anything to do with R/C.

R/C related:

Went flying today. It was a very nice day -- about 7 mph winds, but pretty hot (This is Texas, after all.) Flew my Dynaflite Butterfly, a

3 channel glider with a 100" wing span and a 0.20 engine.

It was a bit late for thermal flying, about 3-4pm, but I had no trouble finding thermals and had it high enough that I even lost it for a few scary seconds :)

Alas, I had to land and pack up, because I had forgotten my hat. I'd put on sunscreen (I learned my lesson last time, burning badly), but forgot my hat, and my sweat was getting in my eyes and I couldn't even see. Argh!

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Yep! Though the actual number may be off a bit!

Yep again!

Just like those who elect to use phony addresses! Some people simply can not accept the idea that others may do things differently! Hmm! Would flying without AMA fall into this category?

Sometimes?

Now that will be a challenge for some!

And the difference between that and the last few years is????

Check out who the plucker is and consider the record. Then decide for yourself. As for me, I think I'll head for the barn and some conversation far better than I've seen here of late.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Don't let the door hit you on the ass when you leave, alias girl.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

If you and your name calling is an example of a man? You betcha'!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Back so soon, hon?

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Head for the barn and clean up the horse shit like you were hired to do, sissy boy.

Reply to
JTHeinz

Sticks and stones people! Sticks and stones! You're really showing you class or lack there of with the name calling!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

And BTW, I wasn't hired to clean the barn. I OWN the barn. It's just that I often find the conversation there far more stimulating from what I find here. And that is just from the horses!

Reply to
C.O.Jones