Small, low cost, low power GPS receiver for model airplane

Can anyone recomment a small size, low cost, low power GPS receiver with
velocity, position and height serial data output ? (It will be used in a
model airplane for data logging)
Reply to
<Yovslu Brown>
What's that saying in manufacturing ? ...
something like "cost, quality, quantity ... you can have any two of the three"
Dave
Reply to
DaveG
In engineering, that's good, fast, or cheap; pick two. There's a little more wiggle room with market positioning and volume for manufacturing.
Anything from the Garmin eTrex line would work well. They store "breadcrumbs" and also spit a serial NMEA PVT stream. The Summit model has built in altimeter and electronic compass; I expect these can be sent on the serial, as well. The eTrex are great on the motorcycle, too. They're small, well weatherproofed, and extremely rugged. Mine survived a 4 foot fall to the pavement at 60 mph three years ago, and it's still in use.
I would try it first without the datalogger, and see if the breadcrumbs have enough resolution for your needs.
Reply to
MikeWhy
Have you looked here :
GPS engine like TF30 small - 30x40x7mm low cost - $75 + $20 for active antenna low power - 3.3V, 50mA code to interface to a PIC microcontroller provided.
Reply to
Kevin Gomez
Any luck finding one?
Justin.
DaveG wrote: | Yovslu Brown wrote: | |> Can anyone recomment a small size, low cost, low power GPS receiver |> with velocity, position and height serial data output ? (It will be |> used in a model airplane for data logging) |> |> | | What's that saying in manufacturing ? ... | | something like "cost, quality, quantity ... you can have any two of the | three" | | Dave |
Reply to
Justin Fielding
This site has many links to GPS and UAV site. Good luck

Wayne
I've been flying a Garmin Foretrex 201 in (on) both my Aegea Mantis and my Ultrasport for the last 4 months. It updates as fast as in 1 second intervals. It can be purchased at Amazon.com for less than $140, has a serial port read-out, and together with software available on the net, you can do all what you're asking. Jan Kansky wrote up a nice tutorial at:
I've logged speeds in excess of 100 mph,using the GPLIGC program, but you have to be aware that this is ground-speed, that the GPS measures, so when you get to the edge of your vision, and split-S back, the speed momentarily drops to zero. :)
-Fritz
Reply to
Fritz Bien