Chuck closing force

So what's the rule here, how do I know where to set it? Other than if the part flies out it was too low.

Hyundai HIT-18S lathe

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy, My Daewoo manual says that 300 PSI is max. This is for a 6" 3 jaw Kitagawa made by Sam Wo in Korea. I've run parts much lower but I set the max RPM down so if I'm using constant surface feet the centrifugal force doesn't over come the clamping force.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Name plate on the machines says 370 psi, 26 kgf/cm2 MAX. 4200 RPM max. B-210 kitagawa chuck. I am running 200 PSI holding 1.25" solid alum bar. hard jaws.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy, You should be just fine like that. I'd probably run that in a collet setup here, but you may not have that option. I sometimes will run collets in

400 PSI range without problems. Too much pressure on the chuck and you run the risk of cracking the chuck body casting.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

That was my next question... I have a 5C collet nose for the machine, how much pressure to run there, I would think 200 would be enough as the stock is smaller. What size collets are you running? 16C?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy, I use 3j collets, but only because I can get 1 3/4 through the spindle that way. I think that 200 PSI with your collet would be fine. I run lots of aluminum, 1018, 400 and 300 SST at that pressure setting.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude