Mine is 89 inches, what about yours

The first "oh, fsck" moment. The Series II CNC bridgeport that I bought is 89 inches tall and my garage opening is only 78-80 inches high. That gives 12 inches or so that I need to somehow remove from the Bridgeport.

How do you remove the head from those?

And also can you roll it on pipes or would the controls be damaged.

Ignoramus26960

Don't miss the perfect opportunity for a ...........

BIGGER GARAGE!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Tipping it over and rolling it sounds like a bad idea. You can use pipes under the mill, and roll along on the pipes without damaging the controls.

Is that what you were asking?

Reply to
Cross-Slide

Maybe you can convince your wife that you need a taller garage. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If I remember from 1985 you attempt to balance the head and ram, chain both ends to a shop crane or gantry hoist, and remove the bolts that attach the ram base to the column. I don't recall how we attached the slings above the center of gravity without damaging the motor housing.

The head itself is difficult to put back square. We broke or re-broke the worm trying to tram it by cranking it upward. Jacking the head too high and then carefully lowering it worked much better.

That's a large part of the reason I bought a Clausing which I could disassemble and hand carry into the shop.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Steve, actually we are working on this. I hope that this materializes this year. Good thinking!

Ignoramus26960

If there is a space for a lifting bolt, I could make a super long lifting bolt so that I lift above the center of gravity. I am afraid however, that my crane will not go as high.

I cannot hand carry my 1 HP bridgeport, but it still was portable, compared to this series II.

Ignoramus26960

I use an engine leveler as a spreader to lift bulky things like appliances and an Atlas lathe.

will attach right to the load to gain a lot of height clearance over diagonal sling straps.

I drilled the end of the shop crane's boom for a U bolt to gain more useful headroom versus the hanging hook.

BTW, mine's 65 inches.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I put a series 2 size mill through my seven foot door. First make a bracket assembly to hold the head to the table with the knee all the way up. Unbolt head, move Y forward then lower knee.

I almost alway put the machines on skates or a hand pallet truck. Is the bottom level enough for pipes. Many machines sort of have feet.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have such a spreader and I used it. However, the total height of slings/leveler/hook/chain plus the height of the Bridgep[ort will likely exceed the capability of my crane.

I am pretty sure that I need to hire someone with a forklift or use some help from some friends.

Series II also weight 5,500 lbs IIRC.

Ignoramus26960

Can the head (not ram) be taken off, and ram kept on the mill?

What about those control cabinets, I am afraid they may be damaged.

I think that hiring/borrowing a forklift is the way to go. I cannot maunever that mill with a pallet jack.

Ignoramus26960

Just remember the bigger door that goes with it. I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable a 10x10 foot well-insulated (R17) commercial garage door was - installed, yet.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Yes, I am thinking in that direction too -- to make the garage door as high as possible. Also I want to have a jib crane. They can be bought cheaply. Obviously requires a decent reinforced concrete foundation. I hope that it will be 25x25 feet. I will make a tiny room for the compressor and blast cabinet.

Ignoramus26960

Gee, wish I had a problem like that to deal with.....get a chainsaw, open up the roof - after all, whats more important?

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

..LOL..

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

Uh huh! And, that is why I DON'T have a Ser. II in my basement, either!

You may be able to remove just the motor and shroud and get enough clearance. If not, the head comes off with 4 big bolts, but watch out for a LOT of wires and air and oil lines. You will need a TALL engine hoist or crane to ease it down.

If you can get just the base on the pipes and the control box is hanging clear, then that should be OK. As I mentioned, the chance of the control working when you power it up is not all that good. The older controls really don't like being moved!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I don't think a Series-II BOSS has any adjustment worms, as the head is not supposed to be moved, and is not mounted on swivels. I kind of doubt it has keys or dowels in the mount, either, but maybe.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

GMTA.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yours may be bigger but mine is easier to get in! I don't have to worry about removing 12 inches :-)

I thought you would have a loading dock and a forklift by now.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Or, cut a slot in the concrete slab under the door... if done carefully, you'll have a pit for auto maintenance when it's no longer needed for mill clearance.

Reply to
whit3rd