What is a small milling machine to look for?

What manufacturer should I look for if I want a "hobby" milling machine? Something with a 6x6 or 8x8 (inches) table?
FBt

Sherline is well thought of.
A lot of folks buy Grizzly. Very inexpensive, consider this machine "a work in progress". You'll have to modify and improve on it after purchase. Tons of how to articles on this subject.
A little bigger than your request, but Jet makes a good value milling machine.
Karl
On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:26:44 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

Don't know much about it, other than the latest Wholesale Tool flier is the first I have seen it anywhere:
Hobby Milling & Drilling Machine (JET)
Regular Price    $579.00
-Cast iron design -Powerful 150-watt DC motor -Variable speed with two-step gear box -Left hand spindle rotation allows for tapping -Right/left tilt table column for flexible work -Compound table precision machined with adjustable dovetail guides -Micro adjustable spindle downfeed -Drawbar -Keyless chuck with MT2 arbor -Drilling and milling guard
Product Specifications
End Mill Capacity:    3/8" Spindle Speed(s):    Variable (100-1,000/200-2,000 rpm) Spindle Taper:        MT2/M10 Spindle Distance:    To column, 5-1/2"; to table, 8-1/4"             max. Face Mill Capacity:    3/4" Table Size:        5-3/4" x 9-1/2" Motor:            150W DC Dimensions:        24-3/4" H x 11-3/4" W x 21-1/2" L Net Weight:        88 lbs. Drilling Capacity:    3/8"
See:
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/43599/nm/Hobby_Milling_Drilling_Machine_JET_
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

On the other hand...with the THOUSANDS of commercial machine shops folding up...industrial milling machines are getting to be cheap...like $500 for a Bridgeport..or $150 for a Vernon....
Gunner
RUSNOK is a great little mill

Would Taig suit you?
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Well, yeah, but what about the quality? I'm sure there's a *reason* it's quite a bit cheaper.

why are you guys debating these relatively low quality chinese mini-mills when there are nice manual machines like Rusnok (and several others) that fit nicely on a bench and have actual quality components - they are available used for close to the same price as the new harbor freight/jet/whatever machines. There is also an outfit that sells a small CNC mill in an enclosre that is around 2 ft cubed, and you can get it with a laser (if I remember right) profile machine and software for under 2 grand

Please list the brands you are suggesting. I can Google, but without names it's a bit difficult ;-)
Rusnok looks good...

Rockwell, Benchmaster, Rotex, Clausing, Senior, Buffalo.
Any individual old machine could be a treasure or a money pit depending on condition. They are available because somebody doesn't want them any more. In the ~20 years since I bought the Clausing I haven't seen another good one for sale, or a single Rusnok.
jsw
Bill Noble wrote:

Because they are never available when you look for them, at least not anywhere around driving distance from North Texas. I have never seen a Ruznok for sale anywhere within 500 miles from here, nor under $1000, or I'd have it in my shop. Same with several other the oterh brands. So now I have an Enco mill-drill and a Seig minimill.
But yeah, I'd trade them both for a BP that isn't clapped out.

well, for what it's worth, I bought my Abene mill from a machinery seller in Texas and had it shipped to California (but the Abene weighs in close to 3500 pounds) - there is a pretty good machinery seller just east of DFW - name escapes me right now. And, I have a friend who has a couple of mills to dispose of, one a K&T #2, I think - but that's a bit big for a "hobby" mill. When I was looking for mills, I found bridgeports for $500 to $5,000 - the lower end of the price scale would not be worth getting for free - too much damage, too many pieces missing - but for around a grand, there were a lot of them in "OK" condition, and as you pushed $1500, you could get really nice ones. I've just got to believe you aren't looking in the right places - Texas is pretty big...... (oh, you probably knew that.....)
On Tue, 26 May 2009 23:17:27 -0700, "Bill Noble"

For the last couple years..decent BPs in California have been going for $1k. Now that manufacturing is going straight into the toilet...they can be had for free-$500-$800
Hang in there for another 6 months and they will be worth less than the shipping from Cali
Gunner
    --I gotta say that little Jet looks pretty good. Don't need one but it's important to note it's an American brand. Prolly got the castings overseas but it's most likely assembled here.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
On 11/28/2012 10:57 AM, steamer wrote:

Not highly likely, no...some stuff is but they're pretty close-chested about manufacturing facilities and what actually might be US-made 'cuz it gives 'em complete flexibility to change at any whim.
Jet, Powermatic and Wilton at least are now owned by an outfit called the Walter Meier Manufacturing Americas which is subsidiary organization of the Walter Meier Group.
Powermatic used to be all US-made in McMinnville, TN--in fact, I picked up my Model 66 and Model 27 TS and spindle shaper there directly back in the early '80s and got the cooks tour of the facility. I think that facility is now completely (or nearly so) shuttered--back then there were piles nearly 50-ft high of castings in the yard curing before being brought in for final machining, assembly...
<http://www.jettools.com/us/en/company/organization/

The Grizzly G0704 is very popular small mill for the CNC conversion guys because the square column allows for raising and lower the head without loss of X Y position and no need for laser pointer tricks.
Its my understanding that its similar to the BF20, and the BF20L is a popular longer table longer travel version. There is a ton of information out there on them

Except you can't, it's discontinued. Who knows what they go for in the secondary market if you can find one.

but

s a

/...

do a

cent

the

small

eir

o on

o I

ey

it.

t as

he

uch.

Yeah,.but you live where there's been a lot of machine shops and industrial activity. There's a whole section of the country where if it doesn't go on a tractor, it doesn't exist. Have never seen a Bridgeport for sale around here. HF mini-mills are about it for local machine tool availability.
Stan
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 14:12:55 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer

Ayup thats indeed true. Now folks can either do road trips, or pay shipping. There are indeed plenty of machines available for very good prices.
Gunner