What is it? Set 400

Six new items have been posted on the site:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2315: My money is on a gag that shocks you instead of recording your voice. 2316: A burr for a brace style drill?
Reply to
William Bagwell

Again, I don't see RH's initial post, but there is no need for a long diagnostic thread about my problem.

2311 I don't know what these are for, but... I observed a truck for a "Seamless Gutter" eaves-rain-gutter installer that formed the rain gutter from a large spool of flat sheet metal, forming the gutter shape on location. It extruded the gutter onto a series of horizontal axis rollers placed behind the truck. The roller-stands looked very much like these.

2312 Spar Torpedo. In the 19th century some courageous naval warriors in small vessels would attack larger warships with an explosive charge and contact detonator on the end of a long wooden spar. They hoped that the spar was long enough for them to survive the blast. Hope is good.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2311 - roller support. Used for a variety of purposes.

2312 - You mean the spar torpedo?

2313 - looks similar to a locking cover for a coin operated machine.

2314 - maybe used in netmaking?

2315 -

2316 - Looks like a "cherry" used to make a cavity mold.

Reply to
Steve W.

2311. Roller stand.

2312. Exploding torpedo. Around the civil war era. Karl This is also a test of X-Privat
Reply to
<kfvorwerk

2314: Two gorge-type fish hooks (both photos) and a bone fish hook (bottom photo).
Reply to
Ed Huntress

#2313: A switch to turn lights on and off? For near a railway or waterway?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Rob H. wrote the following:

2311. They are infeed or outfeed rollers for table saws, RASs and the like. The roller stands some distance from the saw and the ends of the long item being sawed is supported by the roller as it feeds on or off the table.. They are also adjustable for height,
Reply to
willshak

That's what they look like but given the black stands and red rollers my guess is that they serve some other purpose--possibly some part of the equipment of a magician's act.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Is that the point of a needle at the center of the button? Probably used to infect naive aborigines with smallpox.

Reply to
J Burns

Most I've seen are that color scheme and they were sold by ool dealers.

Michael A. Terrell

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

J Burns fired this volley in news:j1ek0v$uut$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

2315: I think it has one of those small pneumatic animal sound pots in there. You say "hello", and it says "oink" or "Moooo!".

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2315: has a sharp metal point recessed in the center of the button. An uncle sold things like this in his magic/hobby/joke shop when I was a kid. Most of them were brightly colored - the 1960's version of fluorescent yellow, orange, green, etc. I would expect the color to have faded to gray or off-white over time.

That uncle also did stage magic under the name "Foo Ling Yu".

John

Reply to
news
2311 are roller stands for holding and feeding wood planks, etc. around the radial arm saw. I have some. They are from HF.

2315: I remember this one as a kid. Note the tiny hole in the center of the button. There is a needle under it, so you get stabbed when you press it. I guess the idea is that you hear you own voice "echo" when you say "OUCH".

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Reply to
Pete S

And posting a little earlier than usual, FWIW.

2311) Supports for wood or other materials at a distance from the saw or other cutting tool. Rollers allow the material to be slid forward after a first cut to make the next cut.

While these may be set to 36" tall at the moment, they are adjustable in height to match the saw or the vise or whatever they are being used with.

The one with the double rollers can be adjusted to a 'V' format for controlling large diameter long pipes and such.

2312) The copper part is an explosive charge (perhaps called a "mine" which is on a long wooden pole to allow it to be brought into contact with another vessel and detonated with less danger to the ship carrying it.

2313) Protective cover secured by a lock which clips onto three pins under the "Micky Mouse ears, and chin). I suspect that an older lock which is easier to pick is normally under this device.

2314) These look like "fid"s -- a tool used by a sailor when splicing rope. The loop shown on two of these goes over the thumb for added control.

3315) Looks like gag device. Whether it gives something (mechanically produced) which sounds like "hello", or perhaps some other sound or insult is not clear to me as I have never seen one of these.

3316) This looks like a "cherrying" tool -- intended for making a spherical recess between two pieces of metal -- for making something like a mold for bullets for smoothbore rifles. This one looks fairly large -- perhaps 0.500" diameter or a bit larger, based on the listed length.

Now to see what others have posted.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

This is correct, the sub is a model of the C.S.S. Hunley, as someone else mentioned..

Reply to
Rob H.

Hmm. Chinese have gotten fancy since I got mine years ago. I withdraw the comment.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Mine look like those, but I bought it from one of those 'traveling tool shows' over 10 years ago. it's been so long I don't remember their name, but they used to rent the local armory every year.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Rob H." wrote in news:j1dk2k02pa6 @news4.newsguy.com:

2313 - Looks like some kind of a wheel lock for a 5 lug bolt pattern though I have no idea what kind of vehicle this would fit on. Whatever it is would likely be very low speed given the fact that balance would be a serious problem.

Larry

Reply to
Larry