What is it? Set 397

A new set has been posted on the site:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2294. Folding post level. here's a modern one.
kfvorwerk

Good answer, according to the patent the one on my site was for use by surveyors.

Reply to
Rob H.

2293) These look like clamps to keep a window closed against break-in attempts from the outside.

Jimmy-proof, compared to many of the normal sash locks, especially ones from that period (based on the finish).

2294) Interesting -- a pair of level vials in a hinge, with provisions for securing it to two pieces of wood (or metal) with screws.

It does not look as though it would set level on a surface when opened to 90 degrees without attaching to something else.

The brand is associated in my mind mostly with drafting instruments, but I believe that they are also associated with surveying instruments.

I suspect that it is to be used in combination with a similar hinge without the levels, but I'm not quite sure where they would be used.

2295) South Bend I associate with machine tools -- especially lathes, though they made other machine tools as well.

It looks as though it is shaped to accept a Morse taper (perhaps a headstock spindle taper, as it looks a little large for the typical tailstock taper. Perhaps for storing the spindle taper adaptor which allows the use of a smaller taper in the headstock. (And, I think, the South Bend machines used their own proprietary taper in the headstock spindle, not truly a Morse taper.)

But while the slot in the handle would allow it to be bolted to some convenient location, the handle also looks indented to accept the fingers when holding it in a hand.

If it were not for the South Bend name and the lack of a threaded socket in place of the handle, I would suggest that it looks like a holder for a microphone.

2296) Hmm ... perhaps an early parking meter? The coin feeder on the side, the crank on the other side, and the two numbered wheels -- perhaps tens and units of time remaining -- or perhaps white for minutes remaining, and red for minutes expired?

Red light for time expired? (Suggests power fed in through the pipe supporting it.)

I see part of a lock hanging from the red cylinder on the front, which I would guess is access to the coin storage.

2297) Looks like a rather nicely made ferrule crimper for three different sizes of ferrules. The largest is closest to the hinge points, which gives the most leverage to the hardest to crimp.

Since it appears to be made of brass or bronze, I would guess that it is made non-sparking to use in the presence of flamable gasses, perhaps hydrogen, for crimping ferrules on gas hoses to secure them onto barbed fittings.

2298) I would guess that a pull on the lower ring retracts the three points.

Perhaps it is some weird form of fishhook (perhaps for something like eels or other uncommon water denizens, and pulling on the lower ring allows it to be removed from the critter in question.

Now to post this and look to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

This tool is actually food related and is also associated with a recreational activity.

Could be, I don't know the answer for this one, I thought it might be a gambling device but that's just a guess, though I don't understand why it has a push coin slot on the side and another coin slot in the red cylinder on the front.

This tool is also food related.

Reply to
Rob H.

2298 might enable a soldier to clean the grooves of a black-powder breech loader. Pull it from breech to muzzle with a cord, back to the breech with another cord, rotate to catch the next groove, and pull again.
Reply to
J Burns

I thought it could be a parking meter too. The 2 coin slots and "clocks" would allow it to serve 2 parking spots. Put in a coin and wind up your timer?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The construction looks pretty modern. I wonder if it's a slot machine for a remote bar where local people would mistrust a Las Vegas machine. With this machine, the customer could verify that each digit came up one time in ten. The prize would be locked in the red roll in front, with a slot to verify that it was full of coins. The right combination,

72 for this machine, would turn on the light. The customer would call the bartender to unlock the prize roll.
Reply to
J Burns

2293: The first has a grove that might guide a drill bit. The second and third have pointed screws that could, like center punch, start holes a certain distance from the end of a shaft. I wonder if they were for boring lynch-pin holes in wooden axles.
Reply to
J Burns

2293 are drum openers
Reply to
George W Frost

2293: A tension hook for a drum.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

They're using it to level a surveyors rod. You can see a modern rod bubble level here.

kfvorwerk

2297 is a bottle cork compressor ,use to squeeze down the corks so they can be pushed into the bottle neck.
Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)
2296: possibly a coin collector/controller for a coin-operated carwash. One of the dials could show the amount of time purchased, the other the time remaining.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

I wonder about the significance of the "2" on one side and the "7" on the other. And what's that red vertical tube-looking thing?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I shot the photo of this device while touring a very old building that used to be a brewery. The tour guide guessed that it could be a barrel counter but I don't buy that since it has coin slots.

Here are the answers for this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

this is way too late, Rob, but I think I know what it is, although I don't have a clue how it interfaced to "the rest of the story".

It now (kind of) looks to me like it was a coin-operated 'settable' air dispensor for filling tires. Even the setting it was left at would sort of agree with that (27 psi?)

I didn't see anything else on it that would indicate air in or air out, but it looks similar to the old Air-Flator thingy's at gas stations, only more primitive. They didn't have a lot of visible in/out stuff either, except for the hose hanger hook on the front -- the outlets were on the back.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I noticed there are 4 screws missing from the top, so I think we're not seeing the whole thing. Maybe it was a scale? Or a light?

I can't buy the 27 psi suggested by Lloyd as there was adequate room for BOTH the 2 and the 7 right above the coin input device.

Clearly another torture device. ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I agree with Lloyd on it probably being an air dispenser. However, it appears to me that the red tube thing on the front has a padlock at the bottom so it is likely that it secures the coin bin and the slot at the top is not a coin slot per se. Art

Reply to
Artemus

You might be right about the slot not being for coins, the image at the link below is a close-up of the red cylinder, it appears to be locked in place by the padlock and the two metal strips on the front. I don't see how it could be securing the coin bin which would be inside of the box. The slot doesn't look like it enters the cylinder as I first thought, if it did I think it would be darker, the red seen in the slot looks more like a red cap on top of the cylinder, although I used a flash so maybe it lit up the interior.

I sent an email asking them to take a look at the back to see if there are any clues, I'll post their reply if I get one.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.