What is it? Set 479

A new set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

2789: Just a WAG... an old time valve spring compressor?
Reply to
Erik
2785, deer resistant small garden. Or antenna loop for SWL? 2786, slight resemblance to a fire department hose clamp. 2787, decorative top for flagpole. 2788, first thing came to mind was to put a bit of water in the center part, and use it to cover and steam eggs on a flat grill at the diner. 2789, either a bar towel holder, or a valve spring compressor. 2790, hold the two handles, roll the stone forward and back. Trims abs, pects, and shoulders. Sold on TV in the 1950s.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You, I like! I had the same general idea. I have a new spring compressor, from Belsaw, was it. Can't remember off hand. Use it for small engine repair.

.

2789: Just a WAG... an old time valve spring compressor?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2786 looks a lot like the cutter my grandpappy used for asbestos siding shingles , 2789 is a compressor for valve springs , probably used with flathead motors .
Reply to
Snag

2785 Look like story poles. Mandated in some areas to show the neighbors the outline of proposed construction.
Reply to
anorton

Correct

Reply to
R.H.

These are both correct, not sure what kind of motor it was for, someone else mentioned flathead motors so I would say it's probably right.

Reply to
R.H.

Good answer! That's exactly what they are.

Reply to
R.H.

Not a bar towel holder? I'm crushed.

.

Correct

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2785) Looks like one of those decorate the terrain type sculptures/art-works. Probably intended to be view from a hillside or an aircraft.

2786) Looks like a tool intended to primarily punch a row of equally spaced holes in sheet metal -- perhaps for skinning wings or fuselage on aircraft. There seem to be two locations on there which will punch a single hole as well

However -- this is not an explanation for the foliage in the "jaws" of the thing.

2787) Look sort of like discharge points for a lightning rod installation -- but the small rings to the side suggest that it is intended to be lifted clear of its mounting point and hung by a line at times -- so perhaps something to go along the top of a fence to discourage people from climbing over it. The "remove and hang" would probably be used during cleaning and maintenance. Must be some easy to lock/unlock them from inside the fence, or the intruder could just lift them off, too.

2788) A lid for some source of steam, with the small holes being enough to vent the steam and thus prevent it from lifing the lid clear. (However, given where the vents are, you would not want to lift it clear by hand under heat -- so a pole, rod, or hook from outside the zone would be used for that.

2789) Looks like "YAVSC" (Yet Another Valve Spring Compressor). :-)

2790) Looks like a grinding wheel between the two handles, and presumably it is freely pivoted on the handles, so it could be rolled along an edge to sharpen it.

Now to post and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That's pretty much what I was thinking for this one but I haven't found another one like it, I think we'll get a definitive answer for it eventually.

Five of the six have been correctly identified this week:

R.H.