Keeping cats off wife's car in garage

My wife has an 07 escape. We have cats that stay in the garage. They always get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

Anyway, short of getting rid of the cats, is there anythign I can do to kee p them off? I tried a motion detector chime, but the cats ignored it and it was irritating becasue it would go off when people walked by. My next idea is to try to make a square the size of the hood out of pvc and suspend it from the ceiling to sort of "block" them from getting on it.

You guys are good at coming up with stuff. I thought I would ask. I thought a hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion detection va lve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too expensive an d I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform this way.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Reply to
stryped

get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

them off? I tried a motion detector chime, but the cats ignored it and it was irritating becasue it would go off when people walked by. My next idea is to try to make a square the size of the hood out of pvc and suspend it from the ceiling to sort of "block" them from getting on it.

hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion detection valve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too expensive and I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform this way.

Easy & assured solution. Show your missus where the hood releast is. When she pulls into the garage she can pop the hood. Any cat that can sit on a 70 degree angled hood deserved to be allowed to stay there.

Reply to
Dennis

get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

them off? I tried a motion detector chime, but the cats ignored it and it was irritating becasue it would go off when people walked by. My next idea is to try to make a square the size of the hood out of pvc and suspend it from the ceiling to sort of "block" them from getting on it.

hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion detection valve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too expensive and I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform this way.

Didn't the NRA tell us about the solution to this critical problem?

Reply to
a friend

get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

them off? I tried a motion detector chime, but the cats ignored it and it was irritating becasue it would go off when people walked by. My next idea is to try to make a square the size of the hood out of pvc and suspend it from the ceiling to sort of "block" them from getting on it.

hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion detection valve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too expensive and I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform this way.

Ain't gonna' happen! Enjoy the footprints as marks of a cat lover, other people will.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

-My wife has an 07 escape. We have cats that stay in the garage.

-They always get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

A mousetrap between sheets of cardboard makes an effective but harmless land mine to discourage them.

You could hang dowels horizontally above the edges where the cats jump up, with hooks to raise them up out of the way when the garage is empty.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

them off? I tried a motion detector chime, but the cats ignored it and it was irritating becasue it would go off when people walked by. My next idea is to try to make a square the size of the hood out of pvc and suspend it from the ceiling to sort of "block" them from getting on it.

hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion detection valve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too expensive and I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform this way.

Electric fence power supply connected to car?

Reply to
John B.

ys get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

eep them off? I tried a motion detector chime, but the cats ignored it and it was irritating becasue it would go off when people walked by. My next id ea is to try to make a square the size of the hood out of pvc and suspend i t from the ceiling to sort of "block" them from getting on it.

ht a hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion detection valve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too expensive and I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform this way.

Suspend a sheet such that when she pulls in it drapes over the hood, the mo use-catchers get their warm spot, and the hood stays clean.

Suspend it low, just over the hood height at the windshield. And don't hide behind it.

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Instead of feeding the troll, consider offering him recipes to cure his little problem.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The vet in town liked to get out of the office and make house calls, no extra charge. After he checked my calm and cooperative Golden Retriever I asked him what he thought of cats. He looked around to make sure no one else could hear and then said they make nice throw rugs.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I love cats, but they need to know their place, and it AIN'T on my truck or car. Got rice? Let's eat!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

stryped fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Just throw a blanket over the hood. It will protect the hood, and the cat will like the feel of it enough so as NOT to jump up on the roof.

(from experience)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The little bastards (daughter-in-law's herd) like to get up on the seat of my motorcycle under the cover . They bounce nicely off a wooden gate . Now don't misunderstand , I like (some) cats . Just not on my expensive aftermarket motorcycle seat .

Reply to
Snag

get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

them off? I tried a motion detector chime, but the cats ignored it and it was irritating becasue it would go off when people walked by. My next idea is to try to make a square the size of the hood out of pvc and suspend it from the ceiling to sort of "block" them from getting on it.

hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion detection valve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too expensive and I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform this way.

motion detector sprinkler heads

Reply to
chaniarts

Gotta think like a cat. Concrete=cold and low, freshly parked car=warm and high. They're looking to keep their tootsies warmed up and get up higher. So stick a nest together on a shelf somewhere with easy cat access and warm it up. Make it more attractive to squat there than on the car hood. My sister uses old boat cushions, boxes and discarded clothing for rags to line the boxes in her tool shed, her cats hang out in those when it gets cold. Guy I worked with used to lose a few semi-feral cats he had outside every year, they'd crawl into the engine compartment to get warm and the belts would get them when he started it up in the morning. No other place for them to get up off the ground or out of the weather but there. Made a hell of a mess in there, too. Was northern CA, parking outside all the time was normal there for a lot of folks.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Only works if the cats touch the car and ground at the same time.

.

Electric fence power supply connected to car?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, that's not nice!

(They make coasters for drinks on the table. Not big enough for throw rugs.)

.

The vet in town liked to get out of the office and make house calls, no extra charge. After he checked my calm and cooperative Golden Retriever I asked him what he thought of cats. He looked around to make sure no one else could hear and then said they make nice throw rugs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think others have the approach. Combination of make the hood less attractive, and make other places more attractive.

I wonder if some kind of car wax is less appealing to the cats? Get some Kitty off Super Sticky.

.

Anyway, short of getting rid of the cats, is there anythign I can do to keep them off? I tried a motion detector chime, but the cats ignored it and it was irritating becasue it would go off when people walked by. My next idea is to try to make a square the size of the hood out of pvc and suspend it from the ceiling to sort of "block" them from getting on it.

You guys are good at coming up with stuff. I thought I would ask. I thought a hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion detection valve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too expensive and I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform this way.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Water sprayer inside the garage? I doubt that will make the missus happy.

.

motion detector sprinkler heads

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

them off? I tried a motion detector chime, but the cats ignored it and it was irritating becasue it would go off when people walked by. My next idea is to try to make a square the size of the hood out of pvc and suspend it from the ceiling to sort of "block" them from getting on it.

hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion detection valve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too expensive and I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform this way.

they're one of the few vermin that deserve sticky traps.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

ys get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

Put a car-cover over the Ford.

Reply to
Transition Zone