security sensor needed for garage door

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:08:42 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Randy quickly quoth:

Excellent!

That could work, but it could be easily sidestepped by lifting your legs over it.

I have these X-10 systems for my entryway:

Scroll down to the set, consisting of the chime, EagleEye IR detector, and RF transmitter. $45 + s/h. (less on eBay)

And I saw this $20 special in the recent HF ad:

Put 2 strips of tape over the right and left edges of the IR detector to limit it to a narrower area of detection. It will cover the full height of the garage door automatically.

-- The only way not to think about money is to have a great deal of it. -- Edith Wharton

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My shop has no windows so on nice days I like to keep the overhead door open. Well some kid watched me welding for awhile then decided it was safe - snuck in and stole my laptop computer that was connected to my CNC mill.

Got him on video, filed a police report.

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Large dog.

Reply to
_

Got him on video, filed a police report.

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

The video sounds interesting care to share some details?

I have one of these:

and one of these: :
and a couple of dogs in an electric fenced yard. The fence doubles as a inductive loop security system.

The fence keeps the dogs in and unwanted visitors out

The owner is known to be armed.. ED

Reply to
ED

The rounded piece is an infrared motion detector, the larger part its remote receiver & alarm. If you mount the detector behind the garage door track it would mask the garage interior and only view the door opening. They work pretty well, but the chime sound becomes annoying quickly.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:55:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Not AGAIN!?! That's irresponsible, mon. 50 demerits.

-- The only way not to think about money is to have a great deal of it. -- Edith Wharton

Reply to
Larry Jaques

sigh..yes indeed. I didnt get home for 3 weeks..and the ex is a ditz.

shrug

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Robert Swinney" fired this volley in news:4856ab64$0$30228$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Since most are two-wire affairs, it might not be easy to interface to the sensor circuit directly, but ...

Most of the garage door safety beams have an LED on the receiver that is ON when the beam is on, and blinks when the beam is interrupted.

So -- just pick up the LED signal, and process that.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I have the exact same problem, being in downtown Nashville a few blocks from the homeless mission. I call my alarm "bum alert". I have an infrared beam with a NO output sending power to a VERY audible chime. The beams are placed just inside the overhead door at 24" high. I have a bypass switch so I can kill it while backing in a trailer or other such blockage. The trick is placing the chime far enough away from the beams that the average person can't tell where the trigger is.

Before I had mine installed, I would turn around and have a bum three feet behind me wanting a handout. More than a few times. I have had people try to jump it, but most of the time they trip it.

Here are the beams I use:

I had a set left over from a gate operator job. A security buddy flowed me the chime and a power supply & I was set. Less hassle than a pooch.

Good luck.

John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

About 6 min long, 65 meg file. Don't know about the legal ramifications of putting it on youtube. Guy goes form watching me to checking out the pickup truck several times. I guess when he fiqures I'm busy welding he comes in sees the laptop and takes off with it, does spend enough time to take the power adaptor too.

Pawn shops I checked at said they would not even buy something that old. I need old because I need a serial port.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I might try one of these..

or more likely 2 of them mount hi/lo to make it hard to duck under. I can mount this inside hidden by the door track. Anything outside I would not trust.

anyone hear of minute-man?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I know one place that uses an am or fm radio. When a person activates a trigger (Opens the door and finds themselves inside a small cubicle) the radio blares out at about 120 db. - in the shop but well heard in the cubicle.

You can use many different triggers. The beam works fine but leaves a visible trail in dusty or smoky conditions. You may want to install one to give them something to dance around while they activate another one. :-)

A very simple motion sensor works well. You can rig a flood light sensor so that a bulb comes on or you can screw in a plug and have it activate the above mentioned radio or anything you can plug into that outlet. Sensor does not have to be mounted on the flood bulb set.

Personally, I'd use a couple different switches so they never know what or which triggered the notice or you may make them progressive. The first one could turn on a light or sound a small chime in the location you expect to be in. This one could figuratively say, "Someone just rounded the corner of the building." The next one could sound a different alarm and let you know their progression. The time lapse in between the two would tell you their approx. speed (sneaking, running, etc.) When they walk past a yellow lined do-not-enter area (or whatever you choose) you could make it sound like all hell has broken loose! This way they'd know that you knew! Bells, whistles, lights, the works! :-)

It can be as simple or complex as you wish to make it. First, You need to know. Second, They need to know that you know. They could be casing the place for a return when you're not around. You can get auto dialers to call you or anyone else if the place is entered during certain periods of time. I know of one auto dialer that calls several different numbers and announces that a high level alarm has been triggered or that there seems to have been a bearing failure in a lift station - giving the identity of the station.

Reply to
Al Patrick

which triggered

figuratively say,

the works! :-)

know. Second,

when you're

crom...but its not rocket science.

ebay search on "optex" or 'door annunciator'

If worst comes to worst, drop me an email and i can probably come up with a set or two of paired photo beams used in industry from my stuff

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch
[ ... ]

Note that you can get infrared LEDs and sensors, so nobody can see it -- without optical enhancement like night vison scopes. :-)

And yes -- also put in a visible one to give them something to try to work around. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols