Garage Door motor

Hi, I have a garage door motor and wanted to use it to make a large rock tumbler. Can i wire it through a switch with out all the rest of the garage door stuff? It is a 1/2 hp 120volt 5 amp 60 hz motor. It has a 220v AC Motor Starting Capaciter already wired onto it. It has 3 wires a red, blue and white one. The red and blue run through the capaciter. How should i wire it?

Thanks in advance, Jeff Help preserve fireworks in America. Join The Fireworks Alliance. It's free.

Jeff Miller

My guess is their is the red for one direction, the blue for the other, and the white is common or nuetral. Wire the nuetral and pick a color (put wire nut on unused wire) and try it, briefly. Just put power on it and see if it turns smoke free. If it does my theory is right, then proceed to the other color and longer run times. You may have a reversible rock roller. Good luck with it. Lyndell P.S. Yes get rid of all the circuit board type stuff and of course the capacitor stays. Not sure about the duty rating on those bad boys. Will have to run it and see how hot it gets. My guess is that it will be easier on it to turn rocks than lift a door. :-)

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Probably won't work very well for a tumbler. The motors are slower rpm (usually around 1100) and are only good for a couple of minutes of continuous running before the thermals trip them out - at least on the ones I've had experience with. You'd be better off getting an old dryer motor or something off an old washing machine. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Poor surplus application, IMHO.

Rock tumblers run for weeks.

Garage doors run for seconds, a few times a day.

Garage door motors are thus generally only built for intermittent duty, and will cook if run continuously. They are also often open frame, and a rock tumbler is a place where a TEFC motor is a good idea for longevity.

But hey, it's free, so you want to use it, and a proper motor might cost money - I know the drill. Make damn sure it can't catch your house on fire if the motor starts burning.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Thanks for the help. I got the motor to work. I have actually been looking for a washing machine motor for some time now with no success. Jeff

P.S. if anybodys getting rid of thier washing machine and live in the KCK or KCMO area let me know and ill come take it off ur hands!

Help preserve fireworks in America. Join The Fireworks Alliance. It's free.

Jeff Miller

Lightly used, fractional horsepower motors with nice foot mounts are readily available and are inexpensive. I am not sure why there is a need for scrounging a motor when a nice one can be bought for next to nothing. I bought a 1 HP motor a couple of months ago on ebay for $10 (local pickup). It can power a pretty big rock tumbler. ebay item

280024576588. No special scrounging was needed.

Lower HP motors like 1/3 HP etc cost nothing at all and are sold on garage sales all the time, people buy them from one another for "possible future projects" and never use them.

Ignoramus8450

Totally amazing how much some people love their junk. I have seen 1/4 HP motors that look like they've been dug out of the mud priced at $25.00. The last 1/3 HP motors I bought, I got three for a buck. I have two 1/2 HP and a 1 HP that were being used as door stops @ $0.25 each. I have a clean 3/4 from an industrial sewing machine equipped with lever operated clutch/brake the I paid $5.00 thinking it would be great for a conveyor if I ever decided to build one. SWMBO claims I have too much stuff, Imagine that! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

instead of talking in circles with yourself, why not just send him a motor?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Last garbage day I saw three dishwashers just on a single street. They all had a fair-sized motor underneath. Would one of those work?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

She clearly doesn't understand! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Jeff, if you're a member of the FA, then I can surmise the use of your "rock tumbler".

Why not buy the book, man?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You have barely enough! :)

Ignoramus11550

I do have a 1/4 HP motor, a pull from a frozen vacuum pump, that I could give him for free. It runs. Shipping will not be free. I will double check that it works, prior to committing, but otherwise it is free for him, he pays shipping plus paypal fees on said shipping.

Ignoramus11550

I need more stuff. I only have one spare 1/2 horse Singer motor and a small Hunter fan motor. Clearly this is insufficient. Karl

Ignoramus11550 wrote:

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I hope he has lead balls. Karl

Lloyd E. Sp> > Hi, I have a garage door motor and wanted to use it to make a large

Reply to
kfvorwerk

And I will add a regular grounded power cord to that motor (no line switch though, not needed for rock tumbler).

Ignoramus11550

Iggy, the use he'll be putting that to WILL require a switch, though it is best placed about 100' from the "rock tumbler" -- and behind sandbag walls!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

She must be related to mine!!!! Just up the road in Waterloo.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Here's one:

a dryer thrown in to boot.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Be careful. For a tumbler you will need a continuous duty motor, and the garage door motor is probably an intermittent duty motor. Those get hot fast and are not suitable.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf