Garage Door motor

Hi, I have a garage door motor and wanted to use it to make a large rock tumbler. Can i wire it through a switch with out all the rest of
the garage door stuff? It is a 1/2 hp 120volt 5 amp 60 hz motor. It has a 220v AC Motor Starting Capaciter already wired onto it. It has 3 wires a red, blue and white one. The red and blue run through the capaciter. How should i wire it?
Thanks in advance, Jeff Help preserve fireworks in America. Join The Fireworks Alliance. It's free. http://www.fireworksalliance.org
My guess is their is the red for one direction, the blue for the other, and the white is common or nuetral. Wire the nuetral and pick a color (put wire nut on unused wire) and try it, briefly. Just put power on it and see if it turns smoke free. If it does my theory is right, then proceed to the other color and longer run times. You may have a reversible rock roller. Good luck with it. Lyndell P.S. Yes get rid of all the circuit board type stuff and of course the capacitor stays. Not sure about the duty rating on those bad boys. Will have to run it and see how hot it gets. My guess is that it will be easier on it to turn rocks than lift a door. :-)

Probably won't work very well for a tumbler. The motors are slower rpm (usually around 1100) and are only good for a couple of minutes of continuous running before the thermals trip them out - at least on the ones I've had experience with. You'd be better off getting an old dryer motor or something off an old washing machine. Ken.
Ken Sterling wrote:

Thanks for the help. I got the motor to work. I have actually been looking for a washing machine motor for some time now with no success. Jeff
P.S. if anybodys getting rid of thier washing machine and live in the KCK or KCMO area let me know and ill come take it off ur hands!
Help preserve fireworks in America. Join The Fireworks Alliance. It's free. http://www.fireworksalliance.org
Lightly used, fractional horsepower motors with nice foot mounts are readily available and are inexpensive. I am not sure why there is a need for scrounging a motor when a nice one can be bought for next to nothing. I bought a 1 HP motor a couple of months ago on ebay for $10 (local pickup). It can power a pretty big rock tumbler. ebay item 280024576588. No special scrounging was needed.
Lower HP motors like 1/3 HP etc cost nothing at all and are sold on garage sales all the time, people buy them from one another for "possible future projects" and never use them.
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 04:54:22 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus8450

Totally amazing how much some people love their junk. I have seen 1/4 HP motors that look like they've been dug out of the mud priced at $25.00. The last 1/3 HP motors I bought, I got three for a buck. I have two 1/2 HP and a 1 HP that were being used as door stops @ $0.25 each. I have a clean 3/4 from an industrial sewing machine equipped with lever operated clutch/brake the I paid $5.00 thinking it would be great for a conveyor if I ever decided to build one. SWMBO claims I have too much stuff, Imagine that! Gerry :-)} London, Canada
snip-----

She clearly doesn't understand! :-)
Harold

You have barely enough! :)
I need more stuff. I only have one spare 1/2 horse Singer motor and a small Hunter fan motor. Clearly this is insufficient. Karl
Ignoramus11550 wrote:

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:45:55 -0500, Gerald Miller

She must be related to mine!!!! Just up the road in Waterloo.

You are holding it in trust for the next guy. I figure there is going to be a nice auction at my place when I pass.
Now Gunner's will likely be run by dovebid.com
Wes S
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:31:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

One day the FiL of a friend mentioned that he would like to have a small wood lathe so I bought him one for $5 one Saturday. When he came to get it, I asked if he needed a motor for it and his reply was that he had one that he was using for a couple other applications. When I reached under the bench ant pulled out a couple spare 1/3HP motors for him, his eyes lit up like bulbs. A couple days latter he delivered a trunk load of seasoned hardwood timber for me to "play" with, saying he had more than enough for his own needs. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Talking with my sweet one today - mentioned I wanted to build two 30x30x20 buildings next to mine when we win it big - she came out and said - oh - and I want one in the back with a greenhouse...
One of the two was to be hers - but now just waiting to become plush!
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member http://lufkinced.com /
Gerald Miller wrote:

-

instead of talking in circles with yourself, why not just send him a motor?
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:02:58 +0000 (UTC), the renowned Cydrome Leader

Last garbage day I saw three dishwashers just on a single street. They all had a fair-sized motor underneath. Would one of those work?
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:02:58 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

I do have a 1/4 HP motor, a pull from a frozen vacuum pump, that I could give him for free. It runs. Shipping will not be free. I will double check that it works, prior to committing, but otherwise it is free for him, he pays shipping plus paypal fees on said shipping.
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:34:23 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus11550

And I will add a regular grounded power cord to that motor (no line switch though, not needed for rock tumbler).

is best placed about 100' from the "rock tumbler" -- and behind sandbag walls!
LLoyd

Are lead balls, Sulfur, Salt Peter, and charcoal involved?
Wes S

Might be; just might be.
LLoyd