Garage Door motor

Hi, I have a garage door motor and wanted to use it to make a large
rock tumbler. Can i wire it through a switch with out all the rest of
the garage door stuff? It is a 1/2 hp 120volt 5 amp 60 hz motor. It has
a 220v AC Motor Starting Capaciter already wired onto it. It has 3
wires a red, blue and white one. The red and blue run through the
capaciter. How should i wire it?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Help preserve fireworks in America.
Join The Fireworks Alliance. It's free.

Jeff Miller
My guess is their is the red for one direction, the blue for the other, and the white is common or nuetral. Wire the nuetral and pick a color (put wire nut on unused wire) and try it, briefly. Just put power on it and see if it turns smoke free. If it does my theory is right, then proceed to the other color and longer run times. You may have a reversible rock roller. Good luck with it. Lyndell P.S. Yes get rid of all the circuit board type stuff and of course the capacitor stays. Not sure about the duty rating on those bad boys. Will have to run it and see how hot it gets. My guess is that it will be easier on it to turn rocks than lift a door. :-)
Reply to
Lyndell Thompson
Probably won't work very well for a tumbler. The motors are slower rpm (usually around 1100) and are only good for a couple of minutes of continuous running before the thermals trip them out - at least on the ones I've had experience with. You'd be better off getting an old dryer motor or something off an old washing machine. Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling
Poor surplus application, IMHO.
Rock tumblers run for weeks.
Garage doors run for seconds, a few times a day.
Garage door motors are thus generally only built for intermittent duty, and will cook if run continuously. They are also often open frame, and a rock tumbler is a place where a TEFC motor is a good idea for longevity.
But hey, it's free, so you want to use it, and a proper motor might cost money - I know the drill. Make damn sure it can't catch your house on fire if the motor starts burning.
Reply to
Ecnerwal
Thanks for the help. I got the motor to work. I have actually been looking for a washing machine motor for some time now with no success. Jeff
P.S. if anybodys getting rid of thier washing machine and live in the KCK or KCMO area let me know and ill come take it off ur hands!
Help preserve fireworks in America. Join The Fireworks Alliance. It's free.
Jeff Miller
Lightly used, fractional horsepower motors with nice foot mounts are readily available and are inexpensive. I am not sure why there is a need for scrounging a motor when a nice one can be bought for next to nothing. I bought a 1 HP motor a couple of months ago on ebay for $10 (local pickup). It can power a pretty big rock tumbler. ebay item 280024576588. No special scrounging was needed.
Lower HP motors like 1/3 HP etc cost nothing at all and are sold on garage sales all the time, people buy them from one another for "possible future projects" and never use them.
Ignoramus8450
Totally amazing how much some people love their junk. I have seen 1/4 HP motors that look like they've been dug out of the mud priced at $25.00. The last 1/3 HP motors I bought, I got three for a buck. I have two 1/2 HP and a 1 HP that were being used as door stops @ $0.25 each. I have a clean 3/4 from an industrial sewing machine equipped with lever operated clutch/brake the I paid $5.00 thinking it would be great for a conveyor if I ever decided to build one. SWMBO claims I have too much stuff, Imagine that! Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
Last garbage day I saw three dishwashers just on a single street. They all had a fair-sized motor underneath. Would one of those work?
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
I do have a 1/4 HP motor, a pull from a frozen vacuum pump, that I could give him for free. It runs. Shipping will not be free. I will double check that it works, prior to committing, but otherwise it is free for him, he pays shipping plus paypal fees on said shipping.
Ignoramus11550
I need more stuff. I only have one spare 1/2 horse Singer motor and a small Hunter fan motor. Clearly this is insufficient. Karl
Ignoramus11550 wrote:
Reply to
kfvorwerk
I hope he has lead balls. Karl
Lloyd E. Sp> > Hi, I have a garage door motor and wanted to use it to make a large
Reply to
kfvorwerk
Iggy, the use he'll be putting that to WILL require a switch, though it is best placed about 100' from the "rock tumbler" -- and behind sandbag walls!
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Be careful. For a tumbler you will need a continuous duty motor, and the garage door motor is probably an intermittent duty motor. Those get hot fast and are not suitable.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Site Timeline