garage door spring

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.
Karl

Karl Townsend wrote:

I would contact the company that made the garage door to see if they can supply the right spring. I had a friend in that business years ago who told horror stories about people using the wrong spring, and the damage it caused. You also have to be careful when you adjust them, as well.
enough left over to pay them.
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 07:52:32 -0500, Karl Townsend

There are a couple of companies in Minneapolis that specialize in garage door springs and parts. You'll need to know either the make and model of the door, or the weight.

Had that problem a year ago. Fortunately, we had a professional do the job. One trip to determine what spring was needed, and another trip to install it. Only one guy was here to install it. I was here for the install and it turned out to be a two person job.
I had planned to do it all myself and while watching the professional, learned my scheme would not have worked. Also, the previous owner had built around the door opener and I had to cut out a bunch of wood the get the shaft out.
My sincere advice would be to get a professional to do the job. Our replacement cost just a little over $100. Money well spent. Also very educational!
Paul
Hey Karl,
<http://www.garagedoorpartsllc.com/
Note the helpful stuff and "how-to" down the left column.
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 07:52:32 -0500, Karl Townsend

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:39:07 -0400, Brian Lawson

Thanks. We got the measurments. julie will make a couple calls tommorrow A.M. If that don't go quickly we'll order from here.
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

No, no, no !! Those guys are out-and-out crooks!! I ordered some rollers from them & was a little puzzled/surprised when they didn't take a credit card. Checks only. When they cashed the check & didn't send the rollers, and didn't answer the phone or email, I started looking around the web. I found a consumer review site with lots of the same complaint - non delivery. You probably know how little help my bank was - unlike credit cards, checks don't have a chargeback mechanism. I was out $25 & I considered it a cheap-enough lesson.
Bob
BTW, there was another online vendor with a similar history, so I went through Amazon. A little more expensive, but not that much.
On 10/3/2010 4:52 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Might be able to get one made up. I have a one piece steel garage door that swings up, with a coil spring on each side to assist. When one broke and I couldn't find anything close in town, I had to head down to Sacramento where I visited a large garage door company. They guesstimated spring rate from the sample, and custom made a set out of some longer springs. IIRC, it was about $60 for the pair, which wasn't too shabby. They estimated the door dates from the late 50's to early 60's, as the way the spring ends were shaped haven't been produced in a long time.
Jon
Karl Townsend writes:

DDM.
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm
Richard J Kinch writes:

I should add, there is no such thing as an "odd ball" torsion spring. They are all custom fitted to the door weight as explained on my Web page.
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 15:49:42 -0500, Richard J Kinch

Hey Richard,
that's a purty nice write up, thanks
karl

I don't have an idea on sources but when you wind the things, make sure your two tools fit the winding openings perfectly, don't improvise, a spring turned loose can hurt or kill.
Wes
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 18:10:41 -0400, Wes

Lucky I know someone that can run a lathe!