garage door spring

Where do you buy odd ball garage door springs? I have a 9' by 8' door that just broke. Its a torsion type spring.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I would contact the company that made the garage door to see if they can supply the right spring. I had a friend in that business years ago who told horror stories about people using the wrong spring, and the damage it caused. You also have to be careful when you adjust them, as well.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There are a couple of companies in Minneapolis that specialize in garage door springs and parts. You'll need to know either the make and model of the door, or the weight.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Had that problem a year ago. Fortunately, we had a professional do the job. One trip to determine what spring was needed, and another trip to install it. Only one guy was here to install it. I was here for the install and it turned out to be a two person job.

I had planned to do it all myself and while watching the professional, learned my scheme would not have worked. Also, the previous owner had built around the door opener and I had to cut out a bunch of wood the get the shaft out.

My sincere advice would be to get a professional to do the job. Our replacement cost just a little over $100. Money well spent. Also very educational!

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Hey Karl,

Note the helpful stuff and "how-to" down the left column.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Might be able to get one made up. I have a one piece steel garage door that swings up, with a coil spring on each side to assist. When one broke and I couldn't find anything close in town, I had to head down to Sacramento where I visited a large garage door company. They guesstimated spring rate from the sample, and custom made a set out of some longer springs. IIRC, it was about $60 for the pair, which wasn't too shabby. They estimated the door dates from the late 50's to early

60's, as the way the spring ends were shaped haven't been produced in a long time.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Thanks. We got the measurments. julie will make a couple calls tommorrow A.M. If that don't go quickly we'll order from here.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

DDM.

Richard J Kinch

I should add, there is no such thing as an "odd ball" torsion spring. They are all custom fitted to the door weight as explained on my Web page.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

No, no, no !! Those guys are out-and-out crooks!! I ordered some rollers from them & was a little puzzled/surprised when they didn't take a credit card. Checks only. When they cashed the check & didn't send the rollers, and didn't answer the phone or email, I started looking around the web. I found a consumer review site with lots of the same complaint - non delivery. You probably know how little help my bank was

- unlike credit cards, checks don't have a chargeback mechanism. I was out $25 & I considered it a cheap-enough lesson.

Bob

BTW, there was another online vendor with a similar history, so I went through Amazon. A little more expensive, but not that much.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Hey Richard,

that's a purty nice write up, thanks

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I don't have an idea on sources but when you wind the things, make sure your two tools fit the winding openings perfectly, don't improvise, a spring turned loose can hurt or kill.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

two tools fit

or kill.

Lucky I know someone that can run a lathe!

Reply to
Karl Townsend