What is it? Set 369

Six more items have been posted on the web site:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2128: fire lighter - soak in kerosene, light up and place in fire.

Dunno about the rest!

Reply to
Dennis

2130: Hydraulic log splitter from above?

2126 is an assortment of powder measure caps , used with BP rifles and pistols .
Reply to
Snag

2125: Modified for tabloid reporters to test airport security!
Reply to
J Burns

2129 is a nutcracker mechanism, sold to woodturners to fit into a turned bowl and be fitted with a wooden handle.

See e.g.

Norman Billingham

Thanks! Looks like you nailed it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

That's it!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

This answer is correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2125 looks like a training aid for "suspicious package identification" practice. 2126 IS a powder measure/scoop set, as Snag said

2128 looks like a really FAST way to butter bread from a pan of melted butter. Just dip'n'roll! (actually doesn't look like it would roll too well)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You're right about it being a training aid, but it's not for suspicious package identification, though this guess is not far off. The briefcase was used in the 1980s.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2125..........Round tan object looks like a light sensitive cadmium or a selenium detector to set off noise in speaker for alarm. WW
Reply to
WW

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

Then "eavesdropping bug detection exercises" would come to mind.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Nope, it isn't for eavesdropping.

Reply to
Rob H.

You're correct about the photocell and speaker but not the word 'alarm', so you're on the right track, although there's more to it than just the photocell.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

A fake suitcase bomb?

Reply to
Dan Coby

Correct! It also has a mercury switch and x-ray sensor, I'll have a few more details about this one tomorrow when I post the answers for this set.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

Rob, that was the FIRST guess this morning; mine. Foul!

I can't retrieve the history of the thread, but I think I called it "A suspicious package recognition training aid...".

Does one normally suspect those things called by law-enforcement "suspicious packages" to contain puppies?

I can presume this was for X-ray inspection operators of the day, but it also has aural detection implications, with the batteries and speaker.

Harumph!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2125) Interesting device. It appears to have a few DIP packaged reed relays, a few transistors, two widely separated 9V batteries, several switches for configuration, a potentiometer, a few capacitors and resistors, and a circuit in some folded up brass shielding, and *I think* a mercury tilt switch in the black plastic heat-shrink sleeving near the brass tab at the bottom right of the board.

There is also a round object which I am quite uncertain about.

Oh yes -- and a speaker with a paint job on the frame which makes it look army surplus.

With just the speaker and one relay powered by one 9V battery, I could make a significant noisemaker.

The round object might be a vibration or orientation sensor.

There *may* be something more under the layer visible, since I think that the central batch of wires in the black heat-shrink sleeving poking out from under the bottom center of the board may go to something else below.

My guess is that this is intended to make a lot of noise when it is jostled or carried away.

But -- the speaker could be used backwards as a microphone, so it might be a "wire" for recording or broadcasting a supposedly private conversation.

2126) The larger items are lenses with manual shutters -- perhaps for projecting concentrated illumination. The smaller objects may be for supporting things to be illuminated by the lenses. 2127) No real clue what the thing was to hold. Perhaps a clue could be obtained from the relative volume of the three compartments, for carrying the ingredients to something dangerous to carry combined -- such as the ingredients for black power. 2128) Looks like it is for a roller type massage. 2129) Looks like something for holding a test specimen -- perhaps for X-ray crystallography or visible light reflection or refraction. 2130) Something designed to be moved quickly or with a hydraulic actuator to cut something. If it were not for the wide blades, I might think that it was a log splitter, but I don't thinks so as the visible part appears.

Now to post this and go see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Your answer was close, I probably should have said that it was in the right ballpark.

Your exact answer was: 2125 looks like a training aid for "suspicious package identification" practice.

The actual answer for the briefcase is: "a training aid showing the different ways a hidden bomb could be triggered."

Though they are related, I think these are two different things.

Suspicious packages can contain things besides bombs, such as drugs, anthrax, smuggled animals, weapons, any contraband, etc.

It was for training Air Force OSI agents and didn't have aural detection, the speaker would make a noise when any of the sensors were triggered.

I usually give the benefit of the doubt on guesses since a lot of the items are difficult to figure out, but I still think identifying a suspicious package is not the same as showing how bombs can be triggered. If anyone agrees or disagrees, feel free to fire away! ;-)

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.