What is it? Set 373

2153 is a church candle lighter upper and putter outer
Reply to
George W Frost

A new set of photos has been added to the web site:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2150 If I were a customs official, and had to mark wooden crates as having been taxed, this might be a handy tool.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Sounds like a good use for it! I agree that it was probably used to make impressions in wood.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2154. A case for a Tesla coil. R
Reply to
RicodJour

Guesses:

2149: Frame from a "Grandfather clock" (with a pendulum)

2154: My guess is that the ends are mostly there to help protect the long thin thing(s) in the cylindrical part--say, during transport. It appears sort of in the style of a musical instrument case--which makes more sense than a shipping case due to the absence of a lock. So my final guess is that it contains an instrument--perhaps one for engineering, like a LEVEL, where accuracy is a virtue.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Wild guesses....

2149 - A device for folding successive folds in a long band of pliable material.... similar to the way Roman shades (window shades) are successively folded. The dials - possibly for creating successively larger (graduated) folds and/or multiple sections of different size folds.

2152 - A tool for aligning offset or nonaligned holes, so plates can be bolted together.... i.e., early steel frame construction.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

That sounds reasonable. Or leather? For hides, maybe the hammer head could be dipped in ink, to temporarily tattoo a raw hide.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

My guess is that it was used for timber marking. The butt of the log would be stamped before the log was sent down the river. At the end of the run, the logs would be separated using the owner's stamp as identification.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I can't do better, but don't you find it just "too coincidental" that the ownern's mark in this case is a '$'?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

No. Were I in the business, I might use it myself. Easily recognized, and easily communicated.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

How about marking a (cooling) steel ingot. Maybe the "S and I" stands for for Steel Ingot? Long shot???? "C and I" would stand for Copper Ingot...hence dollars and cents : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill
2152 looks like an early version of a unicorn log splitter.

Kimosabe

I think this is probably correct. One odd thing about the case, I don't remember seeing a handle on it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

The two items in number 2149 were for use on a farm.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

As a followup to myself, here you see the British Pound symbol used as a timber mark:

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

------------------------------------ Ever been on a pouring platform, especially during an actual pour?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett
2152 looks like a tool to remove close nipples from pipe.
Reply to
beecrofter

This is an update on the blue and red electrical device from last week, the owner of it cut it open to see what was inside, see below for what was found.

Here is the original photo from last week:

Two shots of the device after it was opened:

The owner's description:

  1. The terminals come into the case through some white insulating kind of plastic.
  2. The exterior case is copper.
  3. The terminals connect to two steel rods. They appear to be precisely ground to size.
  4. The two steel rods were separated by two pieces of glass (insulators?)
  5. The two steel rods had blocs of carbon on the outside.
  6. Two larger pieces of carbon were on the top and bottom of the above.
  7. The entire assembly was wrapped in ordinary masking tape (no insulation there!)
  8. The space between the assembly wrapped in masking tape and the outer copper shell was filled with powered carbon.

I still don't know what it was! If it weren't for the carbon (which is conductive) I would think some kind of a capacitor. Perhaps I am wrong about the solid carbon and the powdered carbon being carbon... but it sure looks like it to me! Sure made a mess in my shop.

-----

Anyone have an answer for it?

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

If it was carbon I would say some form of resistor. Maybe a large audio dummy load or carbon pile load for testing power supplies or RF equipment. It would be non inductive and well shielded.

Reply to
Steve W.