What is it? Set 376

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2170 I recognize this as an antenna rotator control box.

2167 It isn't helpful for me to observe that this is a lock for some kind of sliding door. I don't know exactly what kind of sliding door it is made for.

2168 Again, it isn't helpful for me to note that this is a quick-turn wrench/screwdriver.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Hey , I'm first !! 2167 is a trigger lock 2168 is a zip or cable tie tool 2170is an old antenna rotater readout and 2171 looks like an oil spout for when oil came in cans

Reply to
Snag

2167 may be to lock a rotating telephone dialer.
Reply to
F Murtz

"Rob H." fired this volley in news:ijj0qd01h46 @news6.newsguy.com:

2167 looks like a trigger lock

2168 is a wire wrapping "gun". No, not for pulling cable ties, but for "wire wrap" circuit assembly. It's missing the bit and sleeve assembly. This one looks a lot like the Augat version, but AMP made one very much like it, too.

2170 is definitely (as said) an antenna rotator control.
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2167 looks like a lock for a display case with sliding glass panels.
Reply to
Doug Miller

2167 is the key and lock from a storage rental unit.
Reply to
Markem

Yep, you beat me to it, sadly I remember using those things!

Reply to
Dennis

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, it's a wire wrapper, someone had sent me the photo to find out what it was for.

Reply to
Rob H.

2168 Wire wrap tool
2170 Antenna rotator control box
Reply to
GeorgeD
2167 revolver trigger lock? 2168 carabiner? 2169 air infuser to mix with gases? 2170 early navigation device? 2171 Clothes tag installer? 2172 Plant starter?
Reply to
Michael Kenefick

2167 Trigger lock

2168 later version of 2171 ???

2169 An input for gas and air...some sort of burner ??

2170 Antenna rotator control box

2171 trigger feeds a thin strip of ??? 2172 Looks exactly like the way my dies are sorted and stored

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:

2167) Two likely choices: 1) Lock for an old rotary phone dial to prevent unauthorized outgoing calls. 2) Trigger lock for a firearm. (Much less likely.)

2168) The handle of a wire-wrap gun -- missing the bit, and the chuck which should be on the upper-right-hand end to accept the bit.

The bit is two pieces.

A thin rod with a hole a little off center in the end, and a long groove the diameter of the wire (30 gauge). There is usually a wider section of the groove near the tip to accept a bit of wire insulation, to start the wrap with a strain relief.

And -- an outer sleeve, which holds the wire in the slot, and acts as a bearing.

Likely brand on the label missing from the area near the upper-right-hand (with a screw end visible in the triangular area) would be Gardnier Denver (sp?) -- though others made similar tools once the patent expired.

2169) This looks like a somewhat modified (e.g. the cross bar in the second photo air bearing spindle for an end-mill sharpening fixture. One angle is adjusted by the double hockey puck assembly where it mounts to the grinder's table. Another angle and the height by the nut around the air hose fitting.

There is a spindle missing which goes in the bronze sleeve. Air is fed to the fitting, and this causes the spindle to float away from contact with the bronze sleeve, allowing it to move with very little friction.

Also missing is the tool and cutter grinder to which it normally is mounted.

2170) Set-top control box for an antenna rotator -- back before everything came via cable. :-) The giveaway is the compass directions marked on the dial. Note that North is at both ends, marking the limits of rotation of the antenna. (You don't want to wind up the antenna cable around the pole. :-)

2171) A really puzzling one. (The only one in this week's set about which I really don't have a clue.)

I can't tell about the end of the "grip", but it sort of looks like that was made from a single piece of fairly narrow steel strap, folded at the end after being half-circle curved.

Maybe it makes a noise when the trigger is pulled. An alternative, for which I can't see any reall support, would be as a flint striker for lighting gas torches (oxy-acetylene for example).

2172) This looks like it is designed to hold a set of collets for some machine tool. But it could be a bunch of other things as well.

I guess that it could even hold eggs on end. 100 of them. But I would expect the holes to be beveled to provide a softer contact surface to the eggs.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

2167: Easy! A lock and key.

2168: A pop-rivet gun?

2172: A sample/specimen tray of some kind? Missing the jars or vials.
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

No correct guesses yet for this item so I'll give a couple hints: it was for use in the home, and the edge of the moving part on the end is sharp.

Yes, they are gemination trays for starting seeds.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

One hand feeds beans (green beans, snap beans, etc.) into the front. The other hand pulls the trigger to cut said beans, bean segments flow down the handle and land in bowl.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

that is it... i knew i had seen them in the past but couldn't put my finger in it.

John

Reply to
John

Nope