What is it? Set 396

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2288: a place to hold your bocce balls before throwing?

2289: The green felt is a clue. Is it a pool cue bridge?

2290: is a picture frame clamp.

2291: combination cheese grater and pastry dough crimper??

2292: is used to cut dadoes or rabbets to a specific depth and angle.
Reply to
anorton

beat me to it.

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Guesses:

2287 - Pair of tools for cutting a rabbet 2290 - For clamping a picture frame square 2292 - tenon saw

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2288: Used by a metal smith to form sheet metal into a spherical surface.

2290: A band clamp, usable on picture frames, boxes, furniture, etc.

2292: A depth gauge on a handsaw, used as a stop for cutting dadoes, tenons, etc., to a fixed depth.

John

Reply to
sawdust

2287 - Seam Rippers (?)

2288 - Form for hammering out copper or brass bowls

2290 - Adjustable corner clamp -- I bought three of these a while back, and I've never used them.

2292 - Attachment to control the depth of the saw cut

Reply to
joeljcarver

2288 - looks like a (sheet metal) sinking stump, without the stump. I never saw one made out of metal itself, but it sure looks like a form for sinking.

Sinking stumps usually are just...stumps.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Guessing

2287 - A tool for indenting mortar seams of brick or stone walls?

2290 - A round square. *One summer, between semesters of school, I worked as a welder's helper (green/naive) on a pipeline job. One day, my (seasoned) welder boss sent me to the tool shed for a round square. I went to fetch one.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

2287 -

2288 - Looks like an anvil used to form metal bowls and such out of thin tin/steel

2289 -

2290 - Band clamp to hold irregular shapes. In this case set up for making items with square corners.

2291 -

2292 - Saw with adjustable depth gauge. Could be used for many things.

Reply to
Steve W.

Nope

This one is hard to guess so I'll give a hint, it's weapon related.

Correct, but also for other uses.

Nope

Yes.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope, these are food related, but not for food preparation and not for in the home.

Yes, in the catalog it was called a gauge saw.

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Slaughterhouse skin rippers, then?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

They aren't for use in a slaughterhouse but you're in the right ballpark, they weren't used on a farm.

Reply to
Rob H.

It reminds me of patching a tube. You scuff the tube with a grater, apply cement, apply the patch, and roll over the patch with a sort of spur.

Reply to
J Burns

Good answer! You are correct, it's a tire repair scraper.

Reply to
Rob H.

2287) Looks like tools to force something into grooves, perhaps caulking for wooden ships hulls or something similar.

2288) Looks like a rest for a decorative ball or globe on a fencepost.

A rather large fencepost, given the 8" diameter.

2289) At a guess -- some sort of drafting tool, based on the plastic grid scale below it.

It looks like it is intended to be gripped by three fingers in a fist.

Hmmm .... perhaps for cleaning erasure dust and the like out of grooves in a drafting machine?

2290) This is a vise for holding a picture frame (or something similar) in position while the glue dries.

The yellow spool contains steel tape, which is paid out to allow the four corners to expand to fit the frame in questions.

The clamp is tightened, and then the red handle is turned to tighten the corners onto the frame.

Ideally, you should start out with the red handle unscrewed to the maximum.

2291) Some sort of combination tool. The near end looks like a wood file, and the far end looks like a tool for transferring marks through a drawing into wood prior to cutting with another tool.

2292) A guide for a saw to allow it to cut precise depth grooves.

Looks like about 1-1/2" deep at the current setting (the deepest), and can probably go down to as little as 1/4" deep or less.

Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

OK, I understand what the tool is for. I have repaired countless (bicycle) innertubes, and know that I scuff the tube before applying the glue and the patch. What's the purpose of "rolling over the patch with [the] spur"?

Thanks.

Reply to
pierre

2288: Some sort of anvil for shaping metal?

2290 is a strap clamp.

2292: Depth gauge for stair treads or something similar?
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Has to be used for ripping leather or suede, then. /mark

Reply to
Mark F

The spur supposedly has two purposes, when held at a 45 degree angle it can be used to scrape the tire, and when held perpendicular to the surface it can "serve as a roller to roll the patch down on the tire", see line 55 and Fig. 4 in the patent at the link below:

Rob H.