What is it? Set 490

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2851 Leg Shackle

2852 For pulling seals out of faucets

2853 Spanner Wrench

2854 Toe in/toe out alignment tool for horse shoes so they don't walk sideways

2855 caliper

2856 Gear puller

Robert

Reply to
Robert
2851, some kind of animal collar? 2852, don't know 2853, ancient carbon zinc AA cell 2854, power assist toilet seat for nursing homes. "Help, I'm on the toilet and can't get up!" That, or some kind of angle finder. 2855, maybe ice tongs for the ice delivery guy? 2856, no clue.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm still not sure what this tool is, I did a search on faucet seal pullers but didn't see one like it.

Yes

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

I think this is correct but I haven't found another exactly like this one.

Reply to
Rob H.

2855 Too small and flimsy for Ice tongs. Looks like there is an adjustment for minimum closure. I also think they are quick calipers of some type.
Reply to
G. Ross

"G. Ross" <

2851 Skid chains for an elephant? heh heh ... ;>)}
Reply to
Phil Kangas

2854 is a hoof angle gauge.

aasberry

2851 is a pawing or kicking chain.
aasberry

When researching this tool I found a number of ice tongs smaller than this one, though most of them were a more heavy duty.

No luck yet on the second tool in this set but the rest of the answers have been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I believe a ball of ice 6" in diameter would weigh about 4 pounds. One might manage a chunk that size with these. Here's something similar:

That seems to be a common design, similar to the mystery item but for the handles. The chain handle would make it easy to carry for a distance, but the scissors handles would make it easy to grab ice with one hand.

Reply to
j Burns

Rob, on that second tool (2852)...

That smacks a great deal of those cheezy import tools you could buy at Monkey Wards in the 1970s. Half of them never did what you want, and all of them were poorly-painted, Cadmium-plated junk... just like that one.

That looks for all the world like the spindle is spring-loaded in the downward position, and it's raised by squeezing the fixed handle and the lifting handle together.

If that's the case, I'm betting it's some variety of tile drill or glass drill.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I didn't get a chance to post when they were un-answered, but looking at (2852), my guess is that it is a tool for for installing the woodworker's version of Tee-nuts (not to be confused with the metalworkr's version, which fits into a T-slot). This is an internally-threaded cylinder with a flange at one end which has three spikes cut partially off and folded down parallel to the cylinder. They are intended to fit in holes in wood and be drawn (or driven) so the flange is flat on the wood, and the spikes are driven in to hold it in place. A machine screw comes in from the other side to secure something to the wood.

This tool would have the threaded shank fed through the hole (it looks like the nuts are threaded on an outer sleeve -- but the "larger" links still don't work for me). Anyway -- the threaded shaft goes through the wood, the Tee-nut is threaded onto the shaft, and then the handle is operated to pull the Tee-nut into the wood and then the crank is turned to unscrew the threaded shaft from the Tee-nut.

Because of the lack of a working "larger" link for me, I can't be sure -- but the tip of the threaded rod looks like it may be designed to drill through the wood on its own -- just by crank pressure.

Could you *please* find a photo posting site which does not limit you to only Internet Explorer -- or perhaps one or two other Windows based programs -- or does not require you to create an account and log in to view the images? (I'm not sure which of the two is limiting me, but I refuse to create an account to test that, and I don't run Windows.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Like you, I refuse to use IE. For me works fine on an Intel based computer running Ubuntu or Mint supporting Firefox or Opera. Never had any problems accessing site or pictures. Large image also OK, EXCEPT that where there is more than one image for an item, ONLY the last image in the series enlarges.

Reply to
JoseP
2856 At first glance, I thought this looked like a gear-puller, and a nice one with adjustable length of pull. But, then, I noticed the puny little thumbscrew. All the gear-pullers I'd ever seen have some provision to provide substantial pulling force or torque. For example, a big knob, a hex-head for a wrench, or a rod through the head. The thumbscrew is not chewed up, as it would be if an open-end wrench were used on it. I thought this must be something other than a simple gear-puller.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Good answer, turns out that tile drill is correct, I had earlier searched this term but didn't find one like it, then someone posted the link below, which calls it a tile cutter:

Rob H.

If you haven't already seen my reply to Lloyd, check it out for the answer to this tool.

No problem, I have another photo site in mind and will try it in the next day or two, I'm heading out right now and won't have much time today.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

You make a good point about the thumbscrew not being adequate for good pulling force. I'll ask the owner of this tool if he knows anything more about it and will post his answer when I get it.

Reply to
Rob H.

I was having some problems with this too a while back when you first mentioned it. After a few more Opera Browser updates it went away. Currently I'm using version 12.15 under Ubuntu Karmic/Lucid. I know you are stuck with a much older version due to Opera dropping support for your OS... but you might want to try having Opera mask as Firefox or even Explorer cough, cough, ack, spit... There are two ways to do that, via F12 (or Tools->Quick Preferences) will fool most sites or right-click on the page where you are having trouble and select Edit Site Preferences. In that new menu you have the ability to completely mask as Firefox or Explorer. A complete mask can only be done on a site-by-site basis. The first method keeps masking for all sites until you change it back.

FWIW wget was able to download one of the larger image links just fine. This one for example:

I started looking into what was going amuck between Opera and Photobucket when it first began but quit when the problem went away a couple weeks later...

If none of that helps tell me what version of Opera you are running again and I'll do some research.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

AH! An attachment for another tool. That explains the odd base!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh