What is it? Set 415

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2401: Wrench to remove caps from fire hydrants. 2402: Liquor cabinet. 2403: Special purpose blacksmith's hammer. The special purpose? Donno. 2404: Long handled hack saw for hard to reach places. 2405: No idea. 2406: No idea.
Reply to
dav1936531

One tool is a hammer for marking logs and another is a lightweight tool for cutting brush.

Reply to
beecrofter

Commonly known as a brush axe or Sandvick.

Cliff

Reply to
Cliff

This is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

2402: A sewing cabinet. The round holes in the top are for spools of various colors of thread. 2406: Chastity belt for Dick Cheney.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Not sure about the hammer but it looks like you got the brush cutting tool right, I had forgotten to mention that someone had sent this in looking for an answer for it. Thanks!

Reply to
Rob H.

2402: This must be a bar, particularly given the glass rings in the finish.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) fired this volley in news:Yifxq.44537 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

2401 sparkproof barrel bung opener

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2405 -- "snail" inkwell with pen holder. Note that when the inkwell is pivoted forward, it is closed to reduce evaporation.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

Correct, I guess I didn't look closely enough at that photo, I would have shopped out the rings if I had seen them. ;-)

Reply to
Rob H.

My news reader sees this post and other follow up posts from you, but no longer sees your initial post of new items. Have you changed something on your end for your initial post of a set?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

2401) Looks like part of a door closer assembly, with the option to quickly disengage it when you need the door to say open while moving things through it.

2402) Perhaps to hold cosmetics during application, given the fold-up mirrors on each side. I suspect that there are provisions for latching them at right angles to the table top. And certainly of historical nature, given the large flag partially visible behind it.

2403) Very interesting, given the V profile on the handle side.

Perhaps for hitting a shoulder on a round something like a tent peg to drive it in gently -- with a projection riding in the V to guide the hammer.

2404) O.K. The close up image shows it as rusted steel and wood, not all copper as the first photo appears to be. (Incandescent lighting improperly compensated by the camera.)

Looks as though it could be a saw blade used to cut small limbs from a tree while standing on the ground, or on not too tall a ladder.

2405) Are there projections of the steel part engaging dimples on the side of the glass part to allow it o pivot that way? There does not seem to be sufficient support otherwise to allow for that.

It almost looks like it would hold a candle, but why tilt like that?

Perhaps a sealing wax candle, tilted to seal a document?

2406) Looks as though it could grip a cork or a wooden plug, once the center pin is pushed in a ways. Slide the ring towards the hook ends and it will close them together, and then lock after it passes the small bump.

Perhaps for pulling and replacing a wine cork or some kind of bung plug?

Now to post this and then see what others have posted.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Perhaps *you* have changed something in your news filtering? These are cross-posted to three newsgroups, and Rob has "gmailnospam.com" as his domain. Either could be things which could be blocked by filtering. (But since you get the replies, and they are still cross-posted, that could be blocked on either the "From: " or some other header. (Just as yours has a "From: " with a domain of "invalid.invalid" -- another thing which someone might block on.

So -- look to what spam blocking is going on at your end.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks, I'd considered that but have virtually nothing filtered. Might be the news server though ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Seems to be wide spread since it has been raised before. I know I do not "delete" posts, only mark them as read, and also stopped seeing the original. I suspect that a server is calling the original message spam and deleting it since it is basically a link with almost no text and appears weekly. but by the time I get home, someone always has replied.

2401: conductors dead mans switch? trigger to unlock the so the inner socket so the handle can be turned and held for moving?
Reply to
Stephen B.

"Lobby Dosser" scribbled:

settings - dont show read articles?

Reply to
usablevirus

nope - it's weird as it is just this one instance

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

The photos were from an auction so the flag was not related to the table, just happened to be next to each other.

Good answer, cork puller is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

Maybe Eternal September thinks Rob is spamming when he starts a topic with a URL. Maybe it would slide through if it had more text.

Reply to
J Burns