What is it? Set 415

I, too, use Eternal September. I, too, do not see the originating post. To my knowledge I have no filter in my control that would stop the post.

Reply to
DanG

My guess is an over aggressive filter at Eternal September. Rob posts an identical link once a week cross posted to three groups. This apparently triggers a filter on a few servers that his subsequent posts containing new content "Close but, 2405 is not a sex toy:)" do not. If Rob varied each weeks announcement then this problem would probably go away.

Reply to
William Bagwell

Do you by any chance do a 'mark all as read', 'junk all', or something similar, in one of the groups it is cross-posted to?

First thing to check -- look in the 'marked as read' messages in your newsreader, and see if the message shows up _there_.

if it is neither in 'unread' or 'read' messages, then the 'problem' is at your newsserver, contact the server operator.

if it's in the 'already read', but you didn't read it, it's an issue in your newsreader.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Following this i have downloaded all the w"what is it "posts on Eternal September and have looked back and the last post where Rob is the first poster is Subject: What is it? Set 392 Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 04:08:32 -0400

after that time they all start with someone quoting rob and giving answers So I'm guessing your right ET is filtering it for some reason.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Halligan

Yes, it is indeed a snail inkwell.

No solid ID yet for the hammer but the rest of the answers can be seen here:

Rob H.

I haven't changed anything on my end, I agree with most of the replies here that say news servers are probably filtering my posts for some reason. I'll change the subject line next week, and if that doesn't work the following week I'll add a paragraph or two of lorem ipsum to the body of my post, hopefully one of those will fix the problem.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Me, three!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Marking as read *is* the means of deleting an article from your view. Truly deleting means removing it from the server (and theoretically all servers) so *nobody* could see or read the article. And that ability is restricted to two individuals per article:

1) The actual author of that article. 2) The news administrator of the news server from which it was originally posted. (To give him the power to cancel spam floods by a user on his system.)

Granted -- there are ways to do it anyway, but they require more knowledge of how news servers work.

That may be -- especially since the link is to blogspot, which is frequently a host to spamed sites in my experience. And the fact that it is cross-posted adds to the likelihood that it will be (mis)-identified as spam.

Perhaps someone needs to talk to the news admin at eternal-september to allow an exception to be made from this. I know that I had to make an exception in my killfiling to keep it from being marked as already read by my newsreader.

Both of you seem to be using eternal-september as your news server, perhaps it is indeed the server.

Looking at the images, I've decided that the release is for a ratchet instead of to allow the handle to be removed.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Adding the paragraph or two will probably make it look even

*more* like spam to the filters. :-) Even if you pick a different two paragraphs with each posting. I see *far* too much spam like that in my e-mail.

Unfortunately, changing the subject line will likely defeat my special filtering to undo the killfile getting rid of cross-posted articles -- which are otherwise spam, trolling, or political arguments.

Looking at what I have, these were the ones to make sure that I saw them:

====================================================================== [rec.crafts.metalworking] Score: 150 Subject: What is it\? Set.*

[rec.crafts.metalworking] Score: 400 Subject: What is it\? C.* [rec.crafts.metalworking] Score: 600 From: "Rob H\." ======================================================================

And only one of those works with the current situation, so I have added the following:

which may get me past it.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It's looking like the server is the culprit.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser