Fixed the rotary table rotating backwards

I mentioned yesterday that the RT was rotating "backwards". Say, if the pointer arrow was at 20 degrees and I told it to go to 30 degrees by saying

G0 A30

it would actually go backwards and stop at 10 degrees instead.

Well, I fixed it by reversing DC leads and by changing the sign of INPUT_SCALE.

I am also sure that I have some kind of a tuning or mechanical issue with the RT and will try to open it up on the weekend. It takes a lot of torque to move (about 3-5 amps) and moves in a slightly jerky fashion. It may also be a servo loop tuning issue too, purely a software problem or a wrong setting of the onboard pots on the DC servo drive.

Ignoramus31164

You've checked that the RT turns smoothly and without excessive drag by turning the motor shaft manually with everything unpowered? No table locks / clamps / brakes applied and dragging? CNC RTs often have pneumatic operated table clamps that need to be released before movement.

Next you need to work up a design and G-code to machine a mounting bracket for your home switch and the ramp to trigger it.

Reply to
Pete C.

I will look tonight. I think that I need to open it.

It IS hard to turn by hand. I tried this months ago.

Yesterday, I opened an end cover of the place where bevel gears turn rotation by 90 degrees, and found some strange brown grease, which seems like it is clean. I will try to remove the turntable tonight to see how the worm system looks like.

I have not found pneumatic anything on it. I think that it is a VERY early model of CNC rotary tables, basically the same as the U12 rotary table, but with a servo motor and 90 degree direction changer, instead of a manual handle. This suite me just fine.

There is a lock nut on it, but I thought that I loosened it.

I will take some pictures if I open it up.

Ignoramus31164