Bison rotary table

Have been watching the rotary table discussion and decided to go for the six inch Bison rotary table that New England Brass has on sale in the recent Home Shop Machinist issue. It seems to have a lot of features that look pretty nice. Would have purchased the Sherline cnc but it's pretty small for my purposes. The bison comes with a pretty nice set of dividing plates and handle. Am hoping for the best. Anyone have experience with one of these animals? It's nice to get back on the newsgroup. The hard drive on my imac went bad about a half year ago and I'm finally getting around to adding a usenet newsreader again.

Charles Morrill

Reply to
Charles Morrill

I bought a 6" Yuasa RT a couple of years back when ipstool.com was closing them out for about $120. It's made really nicely, but when I look in the manual I see that there were dividing plates and tailstocks for their larger models that I now wish I could have gotten for my little one. I bet the Bison is the same way -- call Brass & Tool and ask them if there are dividing plates & tailstock available for the 8" RT and then ask about the 6".

It sometimes takes real ingenuity to figure out how to clamp something onto that tiny table.

Make sure whatever you buy has the feature that you can disconnect the worm and freely rotate the table by hand -- this is absolutely essential for dialing it in. I believe some small RTs don't have this feature and I would consider this a showstopper.

Nothing against New England Brass but everything they sell I have seen elsewhere for cheaper. Did you look at this one?

It's a 6" H/V model for which you *can* get dividing plates and a tailstock.

Also, a lot of guys like the Phase II stuff nowadays. See e.g.:

It's another 6" H/V model with all the bells & whistles. I have bought, used and sold a few Phase II items and I have always liked them fine. I think they're at least as good as Bison, personally.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant, Thanks for you comments. I did order the Bison with dividing plates. The table also does disconnect from the worm drive, I'm told. I decided to order the Bison after downloading a .pdf file of the toolmex catalogue and finding a really good description and picture of it. I'll post a picture of it in the dropbox if I can figure out how after it arrives.

Charles Morrill

Reply to
Charles Morrill

I dug out the latest HSM and looked at it. It does indeed look like a nice little unit. I'm sure you'll like it fine. First task will be to make T-nuts for the table, of course ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin