looking for software to drive a rotary table

Can anyone help pointing me to a program that I can use on a laptop to allow me to drive my rotary table as a dividing head.

I have a stepper motor, the driver and power supply and a laptop I use in the workshop,

I have added a stepper to my mill to give it powered traverse and thought that a similar system for the rotary table with similar functions as say a division master would be useful but although there are many cnc programs for

3-4 axis use I could not find a stand alone solution for a rotary table.

Any thoughts ?

thanks Chris.

Reply to
chrisw

Not sure if this is quite what you want but it sprung to mind as a possibility

David Billington

I think he was trying to avoid the hardware version ;)

But the problem with a laptop is getting real time step information out, and unless there is a real parallel port, then you need extra hardware anyway. Something like DeskCNC might be an economic option, but I don't think there are any 'single channel' usb controllers around as yet?

Reply to
Lester Caine

Lester,

Yes I just re-read the original post and noted that he did mention the Division Master there so I wasn't helping. No mention of the OS used but my understanding is that EMC2 is very configurable and upto 6 axis so maybe can be re-configured for a single axis. I've not used EMC2 yet in earnest as my refit of a Denford Triac is work in progress at the moment but will be controlled with EMC2 as I like Linux and use it for almost all my personal needs.

BTW I got the DRO 550 parts, many thanks. I noted your address afterwards, the Cotswolds is a lovely part of the world which I've visited on a number of occasions, especially Chipping Camden.

Reply to
David Billington

Still the same problem on a laptop ... need extra hardware ;)

I'm just over the hill ... between there and Broadway

Reply to
Lester Caine

Chrisw

A chap called Rex Swensen, who contributes to a horology group I belong to, has written a nice piece of software which will do what you want.

See

HTH

Mike

Reply to
mikecb1

Chris, I would suggest that you can get good results using Turbo CNC which you can download free at

just use one channel. It works for me. Alan

Reply to
jackary

Sorry - URL for Rex Swensen software should be

Mike

Reply to
mikecb1

looks interesting Only low voltage unipolar, but two channels on USB ...

Reply to
Lester Caine

So true... :)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

just use one channel. It works for me.

...but only any good on a laptop that has a parallel port - gettin g as rare as rocking horse manure these days.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree