Just a rant about ignorant buyers

Metalworking related, but a rant nonetheless.

I have a mill that I am selling and posted on Craigslist. I thought I had a fairly complete description on the ad, with pictures and everything. But apparently people can't read, or just can't comprehend what they read.

1st guy gives me a call. We chat for a bit on the phone. Some of his questions make me wonder if he knows what he is really looking for. This is a CNC mill, so there is a control panel near the head with lots of 800T buttons. He kept asking if those were the collets and toolholders. Anyway, he eventually decided to come look at it. In the ad, it states that this mill weighs 4000#. It's a full size vertical CNC mill. So he comes to look at it. It's too big.

(This reminds me of someone looking at a drill press I sold a while ago.) I had a large Fosdick drill press for sale a few months ago. Same sort of thing. I actually repeated several times in the ad that it was a very large drill press. It stood over 8' tall and weighed over 1500#. Some guy came to look at it, and decided that it was too big. It wouldn't fit in his garage. He drove about 2hrs to come look at it.

Anyway, back the mill. 2nd dude calls asking about the vice and rotary table. I explicitly stated in the ad no vice. I never thought about a rotary table, because that isn't something that normally comes with a mill. Anyhow, this dude made a really big deal about the vice. The mill wasn't worth looking at because the vice is a really expensive part of the machine to be left out. You can't just put any old machine vice on it, etc. I started thinking about that later. Of the 4 mills I have now bought, none have come with a vice. Am I just in the minority, or was this guy just being an idiot?

These are just a few examples of some people I have had calling on stuff lately. I get really annoyed with how many people will call and ask questions that are already answered in the ad. Clarifications I can understand. But simple things that are stated in the ad is just annoying.

End rant.

(If anyone is interested, I have a Wells Index 700 CNC mill for sale. Nice machine. All works, with 5 KWIK Change toolholders. No vice. Or rotary table. Located in SE MN, email me offline at cyberzl1 AT yahoo DOT com)

Thanks

JW

Reply to
jw

Buyers can be a pain. Never underestimate their capacity for ignorance. One of my stories - sold a used Corvette in nice shape for a fair price (not an inflated classic price or anything). Guy calls me months later, wants me to pay to repair the damage from a wiring fire. I explain the facts of life to him, and only offer to contribute a little supervision if he's willing to do his own repairs. Ask if he'd made any changes etc, and he tells me that he'd paid somebody to put a new radio in the car and the wiring fire was shortly thereafter. Tell him to go talk that guy, and never heard from him again.

One other little anecdote - my dear old dad was famous for getting great deals on used stuff. One of his favorite techniques was to mercilessly berate the seller for the terrible condition of the item. I hated to go with him on such missions because it was beyond embarrassing. I'd be wondering, what's wrong with this seller that he doesn't just blurt out "hey buddy, if it's such a piece of crap then I can see why you don't want it, no sense wasting each other's time." Which is the first thing I tell buyers the second they get out of line, and it tends to get things right back on track.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

You now see why i sell on Ebay rather than Craigslist. Too many flakes. At least the ones on Ebay have a bank account. I have found some good deals on CL, but the bullshit ratio is far higher.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

What are you asking for the mill?

Reply to
Tim

I sell on both CL and Craigslist. The "too big for me" excuse may be just an excuse for another reason not to buy.

The problem with CL that I have, besides Nigerian scams, is that a lot of people promise to show up, and do not, and thus waste a lot of time.

But, all in all, listing on CL is worth it. On CL, I always ask for less than I would expect to get on ebay.

Ignoramus14774

Overall, I have had a great experience with CL. I have sold a lot of stuff with pretty minimal hassle. But there are just a few of those people that you just wonder why they waste the time. And I have bought a few things on CL as well. Very smooth transactions. The nice thing is that they are close by and I get to go look vs Ebay that is generally no where near me.

JW

Reply to
jw

That's true.

I also wondered about the rotary table. On a manual mill, it makes sense to me, although it is still an accessory. But on a CNC mill, why would you use a rotary table (not a 4th axis)?

JW

Reply to
jw

Very true. I've seen a few of those. Same pics as another recent sale, etc.

Reply to
jw

Does it come with a vice or Rotary table? :>}

Reply to
Calif Bill

Backlash from the Dumbing Down of America. A sizable percent of the population are only semiliterate at best. Reading comprehension is not promoted in public school, mainly because the teachers themselves are less than competent at it. Kids are not taught HOW to think, by their ignorant parents. No big, hard words in your ads might help. BTW: Will the mill fit on my dining room table? Can I plug it into my wall? What color are the toolholders? I don't like the green ones... JR Dweller in the cellar

jw wrote:

Reply to
JR North

wrote

That's a great negotiating tactic, but it does have its limits, mainly in that you have to be willing to walk away if you get called out and it doesn't work.

And that's the limit. In the end, it depends upon how hard up the seller is, and how eager the buyer.

And who plays the best game of chicken. :)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Didn't you read what he wrote? He's only selling the vise. The milling machine just happened to be in the picture. ;o)

Reply to
MadHatter

What it its vice; cribbing, stall weaving, kicking the walls, drinking, smoking? :)

My mill just sits there until I start it. Then it throws coolant at me.

Reply to
John Husvar

You should have said "Is it bigger than a bread box". :-) Anyone remember "20 Questions"? ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

maybe it's just me, but I have had a couple of sellers pull that trick on me - my answer is always to raise the price on them by about whatever discount they demand - they repeat, I raise the price. They get the idea and stop and will try the original price, and my position is "no, absolutely not, the new price for you is...." - in at least one of those cases, the guy paid it - but as a seller you have to be willing to keep the item.

I am also told a story (by someone who claims they witnessed this - or were the dupe, you choose) - of searching long and hard for a particular rare tail light lens (glass) for an antique car they were restoring - finally found it at a junk place famous for such stuff - guy asked for $5 (mind you, the buyer had been searching for literally years) - buyer said "it's only worth a dollar" - guy said "well then, if it's only worth a dollar, then it's just not worth selling" and dropped it on the concrete floor where it shattered into a million pieces. The buyer cried - he said he had been willing to pay $100 for the light -

so there are times to just NOT negotiate that way

Reply to
Bill Noble

Mill has been sold. Good buyer, asked good questions. I hope he isn't in a little over his head. He has a cousin that knows CNC supposedly, so hopefully he can help him through the learning curve.

JW

Reply to
jw

You should make required watching the Jaws clip with the line "You're gonna need a bigger boat".

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

He was an idiot.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch