Use of lead pipe

I've got 25mm diamter lead pipe, one 37mm the other 45mm long. Ex gas pipe.

What use is there these days for leade pipe such as this?

I'll probably split the pipe and keep the sheet made out of it.

Reply to
Richard

Melt it down and cast something useful with it! I've a collection of similar things and use it for casting bulb keels for model racing yachts.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Sometimes handy if you need to weight a cord that you are dropping inside a partition wall in order to pull a cable.

Reply to
newshound

You could do what my father did at least sixty years ago; make a 4" square frame of 3/4" X 1/8" steel strip welded at the join and fill with molten lead. It produced the perfect punch block to use when using a hole punch etc. When the surface gets too badly marked a quick hammering closes up cut marks because the lead can't expand out of its frame. Also the blocks don't wear out!

John H

Reply to
John

It makes very good mains water pipe. My house was converted to plastic before I bought it, but the neighbour's is still the original lead from 1959. The house I rented before, had its lead pipes from 1898. Good stuff :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Our mains water is connected via a lead pipe. I've simply forgotten how many years we have been here :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It's OK as long as you have hard water, As a child I lived in a house that drew it's water from a spring on the side of a hill that in retrospect was obviously acidic judging by the vegetation, it was piped into the house via a lead pipe. I developed lead poisoning as a result. I'm still here, I think :-) . Don

Reply to
Donwill

I had an old Thor soft faced hammer ,copper on one side and nothing on the other I machined a ring from water pipe and placed it onto the edge of the empty hammer face and poured lead into it as a soft face for tapping down jobs in the mill vice .Remove the ring once the lead solidifies and cools right down. It's also good for adjusting jobs fixed to the angle plate to get them level etc.

For smaller jobs I cast a lead bar in some smaller water pipe and removed the pipe and now use that lead bar for all sorts of jobs . When the hammer face and lead bar get too wrecked I just remelt it and do the cast again.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

I believe that Colonel Mustard could use it in the Study....

ttfn

Reply to
Roland Craven

T'was banned in new builds because of lead poisoning.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

With the high price of scrap lead nowadays it'd be sensible to weigh it in a bank the cash.

Reply to
82045