Old curtain rod: What is it made of?

Old curtain rod, made about 1958. 18mm depth. Almost like an I beam, except one side is L not a T. Probably ubiquitous in 1958 era.

I scraped the side. I don't think it's made of brass. But, it looks like it's coated. Perhaps coated to look like brass, but is some other non ferrous metal.

Says "Made in Ezeglide ENGLAND"

Any ideas as to material? Thanks.

Reply to
Richard

Old advert here:

Richard

Oh, here (at bottom) says it's made of brass:

Not sure it is or not. Must do tests.

Reply to
Richard

I always thought this was some type of brass; certainly sold some as brass scrap the other day (£2000 per tonne)

Reply to
newshound

Delta Metal made brass curtain rail at this time, it was a 'good commercial quality'' and had a trace of ali in it to make it look bright and to make it hard. I suspect this is what you have.

Reply to
Drawfiler

I think it is made of brass.

Thing is, at first I was thinking, how can it be brass, if it's coated with a coverinbg that looks like brass.

Obviously, the coating will not oxidize, brass does.

Reply to
Richard

Take it from me, I worked in the factory at the time, the ali stopped it tarnishing to an extent, we sold to all the major outlets at the time, Harrisons, Woolworths etc, if it is non magnetic but is metal, you have brass, It goes black with time , I assume that you can tell if it is ali alloy which was tried but failed in the market.

Reply to
Drawfiler

It's amazing the proportion of firms that were from Birmingham, the West Midlands and the Black Country.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

'twas the workshop of the world at one time.

Reply to
82045