What is it? CLXXV

Set 175 has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Not sure what your 1015 has been used for, possibly had a small rope running through it. Tent line tensioning perhaps?

We use something almost identical at my work for an entirely different purpose. Would you like me to send you a picture and description?

Reply to
William Bagwell

Reply to
kfvorwerk

and again my silly guesses...

1013 electronic key 1014 scraper for cleaning surfaces, e.g. after removing glued rug (geklebten teppich) 1015 maybee used for mounting bicycle tires 1016 hmmm, for closing, hmmm, tin cans? 1017 my first thought was ... astrolabe ... but this looks different ... yep, must be a armillary sphere 1018 the pliers at the end can be adjusted, hmmm, itchy and scratchy stuff? (no idea)

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü

1013 "Dallas Key" used to log in automatically - I use these with retraunt POS systems every day.
Reply to
Howard R Garner

1014. Stair Saw or Stairbuilder's Saw - For cutting slots in stringers

--- It's adjustable for depth of cut.

1015. Don't know the name, but I have one. -- used for rounding over the edges of a board.

1017. Spherical Astrolabe or Armilary Sphere ("armilary" from the Latin "armilla", bracelet)

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

1013 Dallas iButton, electronic dongle or "key" 1014 Blind saw, used for all sorts of groove-cutting or even veneering purposes in confined spaces. Exactly who used it would depend on how big it is and how the teeth are sharpened (rip or knife) 1015 That rare beast, a bad tool from Veritas. Supposedly for rounding the edges of woodwork, but it's a poor way to do it. 1016 Obviously a press, and a pretty big one at that. I'd guess it's for packing some sort of bale or container, squeezing more packages into the top of it. 1017 Armillary sphere. It's a globe of the Earth, mounted in a representation of the heavens. Don't recognise what's special about the earlier one - Ptolemaic ? 1018 Adjustable C spanner, probably for big pipe fittings.
Reply to
Andy Dingley
1013. Electronic key. Based on that gray background piece, I'm guessing it's for some electronic sports/exercise equipment. 1014. Stairbuilder's saw 1015. That's a Stanley 29 cornering tool in the picture. Contrary to Andy's view, I like my Veritas set. If it's kept sharp it works fine. It won't replace a router, but I use it in all sorts of situations. It takes a bit of practice to learn how to run the tool and reverse the direction according to the grain, but it's fast and fits in an apron. I certainly like it better than that radi-plane thing! If you ever do outdoor projects with Azek or similar expanded PVC wood substitute, try the cornering tool. On that stuff - with no grain - it works great. Particularly useful for creating uniform lamb's tongues. 1016. Pretty sure that's what my Mom used to get Brussel sprouts into me. ;) 1017. Armillary sphere. Wouldn't have known that if not for last week's celestial apparati. 1018. {Deductive powers engaged} Similar to a peavey, but too short, ratcheting mechanism to preserve levering gains, turn of the 20th century casting, rounded jaws...I'm guessing a tool to install hard rubber tires on wagons or early cars with wooden wheels. R
Reply to
RicodJour

#1013 is a Dallas Semiconductor "I Button"

#1015 is some hind of edge rounding or deburring tool

#1016 is clearly a press of some sort. looks like it's intended to press something in a barrel.

Reply to
Pete C.

#1013 is a segway key (black is slowest speed, IIRC). #1014 is a veneer saw #1015 is a cornering tool #1016 for sealing jars?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

1014: Dado saw 1015: Paint can opener 1017: Mechanical star map (the real name escapes me...)
Reply to
Dave Balderstone
1013: Tiikku key, hold it on the sensor and it lets you into Finnish shipyards

1014: Saw, or rasp (can't tell from just a side view) with adjustable depth stop.

1015: We call them 'spoons' Used for turning the sharp corner on a board into a bunch of gouges connected by splinters.

1016: Big spring compressor?

1018: Load binder, or tarp tensioner?
Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

The 2 legs are different lengths. It looks like an oversized valve spring compressor.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

According to R.H. :

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

1013) It appears to be associated with something like a bullet-proof vest, so it may be something like pain-killer pills inside. I would like to see the side view, to know whether it unscrews or not. 1014) A saw designed for cutting a groove to a preset depth, perhaps for glass to slide in as sliding fronts to a display case. 1015) This is designed to round the corner of something made of wood.

The handle is mostly parallel to the edge being rounded, at an elevation angle of perhaps 15-30 degrees, and with the rounded curve down towards the edge, with the edge falling into the elliptical hole. The two ends cut different radiuses of rounding.

1016) This looks like a tool for seating the end (lid) into a wooden barrel.

The hooks fit under the bottom end of the barrel.

1017a) Another version of sundial, perhaps with navigational functions included. 1017b) This one seems to include a model of the world as perceived by those who made it at that time (pre Columbus). 1017c) Perhaps for mapping star and constellation locations? It looks as though there is a ponter to the right which should point North? 1018) Hmm ... a can opener on steroids? Perhaps for opening steel drums?

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

P.S. It looks as though we are approaching another of the triple-X subject lines, so I guess that we'll have to go back to Arabic numerals until that is past. :-)

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Item #1015: Corner rounding tool for woodworking.

Reply to
Gary Brady

hi mike,

"Mike Dobony" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:%EFei.15463$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net...

hmmm, is there anybody who said that the tin can must be symmetrically formed? definitely nobody!

;-) yep, you´re right, 1016 does´nt look symmetrically formed

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü

the paper more than the other, and the grid on the paper indicates that it is too close to call. You might call it, not sure if I'd hang my hat on it, though.

RicodJour

the paper more than the other, and the grid on the paper indicates that it is too close to call. You might call it, not sure if I'd hang my hat on it, though.

Yes, the two parts are supposed to be the same length, but don't look like it because the one is raised a little and the camera was not directly over the center of the tool.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

This guess is not correct but it's in the right ballpark. It will be at least a few more hours until I have time to post the answers.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about that. I'll probably just skip ahead to 190 since the set numbers aren't really important.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.