What is it? #130

I think the first one is an early safelight for use in the Matthew Brady era of photography. Partial shot is of a lawn dart "Jart" Brass vessel thing is some kind of oil fired evaporator.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Another set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

#757 Is a tool to expand rubber sleeves used to cover cable terminations before heat shrink tubing was invented. The English trade name was Hellerman and there was a special lubricant to allow correct placement of the sleeves in sizes rangining from one conductor to an inch or so.

There was a very vulgar name for this tool but it would not be proper with the current US administration.

Imagine stretching and then doing an illegal procedure.

Reply to
John G

Hey, what happened to the Roman numerals?

Is the first item a railway signall> Another set has just been posted:

Reply to
Jordan

What's illegal about bob tailing sheep or nuttering them? That was my first though when seeing this item.

Howard (old farmer) Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

#757 is a sleeve expander for fitting rubber terminations over cable ends, glands etc

#759 looks like a paraffin-fired greenhouse heater

#761 is effectively a screw rotation about the centre fold. Take the card as pictured, pick it up by the club symbol and rotate to bring the top half of the card back flat, then just keep rotating the same way and you get the original flat card - it's then fairly clear how to cut it. It looks odd but isn't really.

Reply to
Norman Billingham
756. A blackout lantern 757. A tool to stretch something. The prongs/tines are too long to be very stiff so it might be something elastic as opposed to something like a snapring. Not sure what exactly. 758. Lawn dart 759. A radiator of some sort. Probably a space heater or towel warmer. 760. Possibly a lightning rod tip. 761. Center part of card that's standing up is only attached at it's two lowest corners. The card is cut and the pieces twisted into position. R
Reply to
RicodJour

ROTFLMAO. Howard, that's what I thought of too. However, all the "elastrators" I've seen had shorter wires with blunt ends, and there were four instead of three. Same principle. We used them to convert bull calves into steers.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs
756 Railroad signal lamp?

758 Dart. Lawn dart?

759 Kerosene fired water heater?
Reply to
Bill Marrs

Ouch. Couldn't you just give them saltpeter or something?

RicodJour

My guesses:

756. Kerosene darkroom lamp. 757. Stretcher for elastic tubing used to wrap electrical wires. 758. Dart. 759. Kerosene heater, perhaps for warming barbershop towels or creating steam for humidification? 760. Lighting rod tip? 761. Make three cuts from edge to centerline (two on one side-one on the other), and twist the card.

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

#760 is a tire "deflator". Spread on roads to stop vehicles with inflated tires. This might be WW2 vintage. Ray

Reply to
Ray Field

A form of caltrop? I've always thought of them as being a skeleton tetrahedron. I can see why this would work like this, but why is it the shape it is, and what is the copper coloured "base" for?

The wikipedia article for "caltrop" shows them looking like I've suggested, and shows a rather nice one for tyre deflation which is hollow with an extra air-hole.

So I'm not saying you are wrong, but wondering whether it is quite the right shape.

Reply to
Nick Atty

Nick wrote: ) A form of caltrop? I've always thought of them as being a skeleton ) tetrahedron. I can see why this would work like this, but why is it ) the shape it is, and what is the copper coloured "base" for?

Looking at the picture, it's the sort of thing I would expect on top of a security fence or wall.

SaSW, Willem

Reply to
Willem

#756 A signal lantern of some form? #757 ? #758 A lawn dart #759 A Still? #760 Caltrop? #761 Cut one side halfway through at the 1/3 marks, cut the other side halfway through at the 1/2 mark, and fold.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Generally you just pinch the vas deferens and that is sufficient.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

756 appears to be a shielded lantern, probably the ring is to carry it. 758 looks like a lawn dart.

759 portable radiator

760 looks similar to a caltrop, possibly meant to be used in shallow water.

761 Make the two cuts and fold the raised section. Cut from the center of the fold to the side opposite the other cuts, then just flip the top or the bottom over.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto
.

NUTtering? Howard, that is the most appropriate misspelled word I've ever seen.

I sent Rob a photo of a 3in1 tool. You would have nailed it right away.

For anyone who thinks elastration is cruel should have been around during the surgical days. Surgical = a sharp knife and some pine tar. A bottle of blood stop if you were high tech.

Two guys could do 8000 in a week. The dogs worked for "tips".

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I doubt that would do the trick, you want to eliminate the production of testosterone not just eliminate fertility.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Now pigs were alway a sharp knife (single edge razor blade) job. We went with the elastic on the sheep in the early 50's

Howard

Reply to
Howard R Garner