What is it? LXIX

Another set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

#394: Sprinkler for agricultural use. To "rain" fields/gardens/golf courts #395: For dusting? Maybe poison against unwanted insects. #396: ??? something for bees? No clue! #397: ??? for a firearm to hold the flintstone? No, too big. clueless. #398: ??? #399: soldering iron.

Seems that R.H. is getting deeper and deeper into his box full of strange things. With the strange stuff having higher gravity.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

394 - Lawn sprinkler head

395 - Beekeeper's smoke pot

396 - drew a blank

397 - Netmaker's tool (?)

398 - Corn planter - works well with other large seeds too

399 - Plumber's or Tin Worker's Soldering iron

Reply to
John Husvar

Sure enough!

He finds some really obscure items. Has to be great fun: Trying to identify them certainly is.

Reply to
John Husvar
394- sprinkler head. 395- smoker for apiary? 396- ? 397- arrowhead? 398- planting device. 399- soldering iron. Tom
Reply to
tom
394.Rotating Sprinkler 395.Smoke thingo that bee-keepers use? 396.Something for holding/carrying/transporting fireworks?
Reply to
Jonathan Wilson

Impulse type sprinkler head Dadant co Bee Smoker ( with lass duct tape on the bellows than mine} Would that box have held Edison recording cyliners? The stone item looks like a projectile point for a harpoon. The tongs arrangement looks like a pin vise perhaps for anglers if the Issak Walton type.

Reply to
bamboo

394 - sprinkler head 395 - applicator for insecticide dust 396 - specimen box, perhaps for birds? 397 - ? 398 - ? 399 - soldering iron

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Sprinkler.

Bee smoker.

Civil war era Claymore mine.

Little broke piece of something.

Corn planter.

Reply to
JohnM

Hi,

394 Impact sprinkler head 395 Smoker for beekeeping 396 Guess -- Live bait holder 397 Looks like a tool for open weaving /net making 398 Corn planter used either in a garden or for filling in skips in a field 399 Soldering iron

Thanks Roger Haar

"R.H." wrote:

Reply to
Roger Haar

394. Lawn sprinkler 395. Bee smoker 396. Ammo case? 396. Multipurpose tool 397. No clue 398. Soldering copper

RCM

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

394. Babysitter. 395. Bee bong. 396. Carry a bunch of prepared doses for mental ward patients. 397. Space shuttle. 398. Plant installation tool. 399. Hot rod.
Reply to
B.B.

394 Impact water sprinkler 395 Bee smoker 396 ???? 397 Part of cutter bar on mowing machine 398 seed planter, usually used with corn or beans 399 Soldering iron

Ed R

Reply to
Ed Rinehart

394. Lawn Sprinkler 395. Bee Hive Smoker 396. Core Sample Carrier 397. Fish Net Shuttle 398. Candle Snuffer 399. Soldering "Iron" - aka soldering copper
Reply to
RAM^3

#394 Lawn Sprinkler #395 Blowtorch

#398 Corn planter #399 Soldering Iron

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

390 - Dart sharpener.
Reply to
Ken Davey

Oh, the pics. Thought for a minute you were asking for a definition of the number represented by the Roman Numerals... /mark

R.H. wrote:

Reply to
Mark

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

394) A sprinkler head. Water from the left-pointing jet is deflected by a surface which partially intersects the stream, kicking a weight around the head, which is returned by a spring which rotates the head a little

This one seems a bit more complex than most that I have seen, which suggests that it may be an irrigation sprinkler, instead of a lawn sprinkler.

FWIW, I was told (when I was a kid) that it was invented by someone who lived in the same small South-Texas town in which I was living. The town is named Cotulla, and I fear that I don't remember the name of the supposed inventor.

395) This looks like a device for applying powder/dust style insecticides to plants. Bellows to the left, reservoir to the right, with a right-pointing nozzle. 396) Perhaps for casting fat candles? (But I don't see things to support the wicks in place.

Perhaps for starting plants in small lumps of dirt which can then be transplanted, dirt and all, to a larger pot after the dividers are removed?

397) Survival kit fishing setup? The hook loops through the slot to the right, and the line is wound around the assembly? The point and barb to the right might be for removing the hook from a fish's mouth? 398) Could this be what is called a "seed drill". You stick the spike on the end in the closed (second photo) position into the ground, and then press the handles together, opening the hole a bit while a seed falls down the tube from the box into the hole just produced? 399) A real old soldering "iron" or "copper" It is heated in the flame of an old fashioned blowtorch (white gas fired, I think), and the mass of copper carries enough heat to serve the purpose of heating the workpiece to a temperature which will allow the solder to flow. This one has fairly recently been cleaned and tinned, even.

Now to see what others have answered.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

From rec.ww

#394: Sprinkler head, rotating type in which the head is rotated by a wing being moved by the water jet to cause a hammer to tap the head to rotate, then spring moves the wing back into the water jet. (Poor wording, but you get the idea)

#395: Honey bee keeper's smoker. Used to calm the bees while working the hive

#396: Old ice chest for canned beverages?

#397: Not a clue

#398: Old pesticide duster. Looks like the bellows is missing

#399: Old soldering iron, one heats the iron in a flame, then uses it to solder.

Now to see how far off I am

Mark & Juanita

Nope, not any type of filter.

Rob