What is it? Set 134

The latest set has just been posted:

formatting link


Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Item 780 is for splicing audio magnetic tapes (reel to reel tapes).

Brian Gladman

Reply to

780 reminds me of what I used to use to splice film frames together. 781 looks like it could be used for getting items out of a deep-fryer. mmmmmmmmm... deep-fried... 782 has great potential for airline security.

I'm recusing myself on #783, as I submitted the item and know not only what it is, but why it wasn't of any use to me. (oddly, I managed to resell it on eBay for MORE than I paid for it).

784 I'm guessing it's not an early spigrograph.

785 This reminds me of those arcade games where you attempt (and fail) to grab the stuffed toy (or whatever).

---------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@riverartsproject.com

formatting link
We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

--Robert Wilensky, University of California

Reply to
Julie Waters

#780 With a 1/4 groove, this is a reel to reel tape splicer.

Reply to
Howard R Garner

780 1/4" magnetic tape splicer

781 cheese curd cutter

783 tripod telescope mounting adapter
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

#780 Recording tape splicer

#781 Fish (?) fryer

#782 Bale or sack wrap tightener (I've forgotten what it's used on, but these things aren't rare on old farms) You jab the "rake" into the canvas band around the bale, jab the spike on the handled lever into something solid, then use the handle to lever the band tight before sewingg or knotting it.

#783 Camera lens mount. The ring clamp goes round the lens and the square plate has a tripod mounting bush in it.

# 784 Adding machine?

# 785 Crane hook for logs or (more likely) telegraph poles.

Reply to

780 tool for cutting/splicing 8mm film.

781 That's fer fishin' the crawdads from the fryer.

782 arggg- you stab the one end into something, then pull the lever down and it forces chunks of whatever-its-stabbed-into apart...

783 telescope holder that mounts on a camera tripod


785 For grabbing logs or poles, probably under water. You set the cross-piece to hold the tongs open, and when you lower it over the item, the cross-piece is knocked out of the way, allowing the tongs to close when the unit is hauled up by the ring.


Reply to

780 recording tape splicing tool 781 sifts coals out of fire. Got a bed warmer coming up soon? 785 some kind of hook that grasps tighter when picking up an item.

Wes S

Reply to

781 coal or gravel shovel? Randy
Reply to
Randy Replogle

784. Is an adding machine patented by Charles Henry Webb of New York, NY.

Took me fecking ages to find it but if you go to the US Patent Office website and type PN/414959 into the advanced search

formatting link
you'll see it. Select years '1790 to date' first.

-- Dave Baker

formatting link
"Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying face down in the dust?" "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.

Reply to
Dave Baker

780. Makes the "scoops" at the end of slurpee straws. 781. Lion's litterbox scoop. 782. For getting socks out of gym lockers. 783. Camera-mounted cupholder 784. Bowling scorecard. 785. Removes stuck toupees.
Reply to

Or maybe for potatoes?

Reply to
Randy Replogle

#784 Adding Machine, Patent No. 414335,

formatting link

Reply to

#780. 8mm film splicing tool #781. For extracting hot coals? #784. Arithometer? #785. Ice or Hayloft hook?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

783. Fire extinguisher mount.

785. Crane hook for grappling small logs.

Reply to
Mark Brader

According to R.H. :

As usual -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

780) An inexpensive splicer for standard 1/4" magnetic recording tape. There are much better splicing blocks (or used to be), but this is what you would probably get the first time around.

This one was intended to be used with the 1/2" wide splicing tape, at right angles to the recording tape.

The "Cut" position of the sliding head put a cut like this '' through both layers of the overlapping tape ends, after which you lifted off the top stub, and applied the splicing tape (opalescent white and thin) at right angles to the length of the tape.

Then, you slid the head to the "trim" position, where it applied two curved blades to trim the edges of the tape like this:

| | ) ( | |

to trim off the splicing tape which hangs over the sides and a little of the edges of the tape itself. This makes sure that the splice is not too wide to go through the guides on the tape recorder/player.

The good splicing blocks have no side trimming, the cuts are done with a hand-held single-edge razor blade, and the splicing tape applied is either slightly less than 1/4" wide, applied along the length, or has a backing which peels off after the splice is made to assure that the spliced tape is not too wide.

781) I can only guess here -- perhaps used for sifting clams out of bottom muck?

782) Again, I've never seen anything like this, so I am limited to guesses. Perhaps to pull two board ends tight together prior to nailing down?

783) This looks like a tripod mount for a telephoto lens for a serious camera. Some telephotos have a built-in tripod mount, others have removable ones -- or even after-market ones from other makers.

The knob also allows it to be loosened so you can rotate the camera body for either portrait or landscape mode at need.

784) Hmm ... part of an early combination lock? Normally, the rotating discs with the holes would be behind knobs (which could be fitted with pins in any of the holes to offset the actual combination from the visible one on the knob, unless the numbers visible through the aperture were not covered by the knobs.

785) Some form of grappling hook. I think for picking up groups of sticks. The horizontal curved bar at the bottom holds the jaws open until it is dropped onto the potential load, at which point it is kicked out.

Once that happens, the load itself (and the weight of the hook) closes the jaws.

I'm not sure what the notches just above the pivots (on the "ears" engage -- though there might be a pin on the back of the center upright, which would require the jaws to be fully opened to nearly horizontal.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"R.H." wrote in news:LJLSg.5354$pq4.1522 @tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

780. Magnetic recording tape splicer (tape was used in a reel-to-reel recorder) 781. Pooper-picker-upper. A manure shovel. The manure stays in the shovel, the bedding falls through the gaps in the wires. 782. Toenail clipper. Have you seen my toenails? Nuf said. 783. Camera or binocular adapter, so it can be held on a tripod. 784. Early mechanical calculator. 785. Either an ice or hey bale grapple.
Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

#780 is some sort of splicing machine #783 looks like a tripod mount for a large telephoto lense. I'd guess a 500-800 mm lense. #785 looks like a log skid or some sort of grappel hook. When you pull up on the lifting ring with a crane or hoist, it clamps down. Or at least that's what it looks like


Reply to
785: Godzilla's staple remover


Reply to
Julie Waters

784. This is obviously a ball/strike counter, or "clicker", for umpires in cricket games. They get 100 balls and 10 strikes - that's why the games take so long.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.