What is it? CCXIV

The latest set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
214 Resolver. Produces a trigonometric function (sine/cosine) of an input. Used in a mechanical analog computer or a mechanical gun-directing computer.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

only one again this week

1196 looks like a wrench to turn a recessed valve off - very simu;ar to the gas valve to my fireplace.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

1195. Nutcracker.

Topi

Reply to
Topi Linkala

1195 is a gas furnace key (Zurn gives that away) 1196 is a garlic clove crusher

JD

Reply to
JD

hi all, and again some silly guesses from germany

1195 nutcracker 1196 looks like a tool beeing used to "bleed radiators", to get the air out of it

1193 adjustable can opener? for mounting / demounting oil filters?

all others ... no idea

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü

1191. Gear Box ;~)
Reply to
Leon
1196 is the handle for tamper-proof outdoor water faucets. I managed a building that used them. The faucet was contained in a bronze box. The handle opened the simple latch on the lid, and also operated the faucet.
Reply to
DT

It's a sine/cosine mechanical generator alright, the ball-raced wheel inside runs over the surface of a sphere and can be moved from side to side by the input shaft, thus varying the effective gearing ratio (as the sphere's effective diameter changes), following a sine/cosine law.

However I've never heard these called a "resolver" before. IMHE, resolvers were electro-mechanical polyphase AC devices, related to synchros (rotating position to electrical phase transducers).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Looking closer, I don't think those wheels move in the way I thought. That means it's just a differential adder, not sine/cosine.

I guess you could call this a "resolver" (same function), but I'd never heard the term applied to these purely mechanical era gadgets, only the modern electro-mechanical ones (for 1930s and 1950s values of "ancient" and "modern"!)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

1191) This is some form of analog computing component. At a guess, it is a three-axis integrator. Three axes of information come in on the three non-central shafts, and the output on the central shaft is proportional to the volume of the area covered by the three other shafts (or at least, whatever is connected to those shafts).

It may be part of an inertial navigation system, though it seems too beefy for that -- since they are normally used in aircraft.

1192) Looks like something for popping apart oversized pop-beads at a distance. Obviously nothing electrical, or the handle would be an insulating material, not the aluminum or zinc-coated steel which is currently there.

The red plastic cap would appear to be used for re-connecting them.

1193) Hmm ... perhaps for controlling aggressive dogs (by the handler), or perhaps for some kind of S&M game. 1194) At a guess -- it is some kind of snap-on shower head -- perhaps to be used in a gravity-feed shower. 1195) Hmm ... it sort of looks like it is designed to safely grip cartridge fuses -- except that it would be very difficult to get into place. For that use, the semi-circular gripping surfaces should be on the far side of the hinge. 1196) Looks like something for reaching into a recess and turning a valve. Perhaps the water service shutoff at the street.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
1196 Zurn key. I used one of them several years ago. It operates an outdoor garden hose faucet on a commercial building. The one I used was on a LDS church in a suburb of Rochester.

We had one for the entire building, and it was kept in the maintenance closet. But I found it easier to use a 3/8 open end wrench.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Still not sure about the lanyard, but the others have been answered correctly this week:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

that's so funny, "lok un lok tool". it looks like there's a yellow label on the handle, is the writing on it in english or japanese? i know in japan the cab drivers have a built in mechanism in taxicabs that (manually) opens and closes (and locks?, i can't remember) the rear passenger doors. i was wondering where or WHY in the world anyone would need a "lok and unlok" tool. truckers picking up hookers at truck stops? ("hold on honey while i break out my trusty "lok and unlok tool"!) this lok and unlok tool reminded me most of the long thin hammers they use in europe to ring passenger train wheels at the train station, but, i mean, obviously that's not what it was for.

1194. in japanese. the illustration in the lower right LOOKED like a bath faucet, but i couldn't see how that round female part could attach to a square bath faucet and still be water and pressure tight. wow. 1195. lol. of course, a lobster cracker! it's so obvious now! looks JUST like the chrome plated ones at my local chinese buffet.
Reply to
William Wixon

The writing on the tool is in English and there is a patent number but only three digits are visible, I searched for it on Google patents but didn't have any luck.

Reply to
R.H.

Hi Rob,

Take a look at this patent:

"AUTOMOBILE DOOR BUTTON-OPERATING IMPLEMENT"

It is similar in principle. Care to share those three numbers with the rest of us for the patent? (Grin)

Here are a few more similar devices:

?vid=4015871
?vid=4726263
?vid=D262263 This one is really close and maybe the one you're looking for:

Leon Fisk

Is that a patent for a stick?

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks for finding that, I agree that it's probably the same tool so I went ahead and added a link on the answer page. Upon closer inspection, the digits that I thought were part of a patent number are most likely part of an address to Van Nuys, CA. There is mention of a patent, but a lot of the paper has been scraped away so that less than 20 percent of it is readable. The inventor is from LA, which is right next to Van Nuys, so that's another indication that this patent is the correct one.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

FWIW, I had one of these things when I was driving a full-sized van which didn't have power door locks, It did away with the necessity of climbing (or trying to stretch) all the way across the front seats and anything stacked in between them to unlock the other door.

Reply to
Barbara Bailey

The 1985 model I have downstairs is simply a piece of wood as would be used to make a yard stick, about a foot long with a notch in the end to slip under the knob on the lock button, it became useless when they amputated the knob. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller