What is it? CV

The latest set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

606: piercer of some kind. Something to do with demolitions, maybe? 607: rope cleat from a boat

608: ice crampon (clips to shoe)

609: pocket multi-tool/thread checker (advertising the Make Tight Stay)

610: unknown, looks dangerous

611: close-up of a basketball
Reply to
sewiv

Howdy Rob,

Looks like:

The first item looks like something to punch holes in hose....

607 - Tie down dog for boat/trailer/truck 608 - Traction cleat for a boot 611 - Basketball
Reply to
bremen68

606. Some sort of tool to poke a hole and inserting a plug? 607. Boat cleat to tie off lines 608. Slip-on ice cleat - fits over toe of shoe or boot 609. Screw gauge 610. BBQ tool? 611. Basketball
Reply to
RicodJour

Reply to
RoyJ

OK, Now I see it. For shotshells with Berdan primers!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs

Could 610 possibly be a Cheese/Veggie Slicer/Grater?

The tines could be used to pick up the slices, the bottom and sides to slice different thicknesses, and the indented top to grate/scrape the cheese/veggies.

Reply to
RAM³

According to R.H. :

As usual, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

606) Hmm ... at a guess, this is a tool for de-caping (removing primers) and re-priming cartridges with Berdan primers (two small holes off center for the flame to go through to reach the powder, instead of a single one which makes it easy to push the primer out from inside.)

The spike digs out the old primer with the case in the notch closest to the hinge, and the stud on the moving handle pushes in the replacement primer in a case held in the next notch.

It would have to be a rimmed case -- and might even be for shotgun shells, depending on the size -- though I've never dealt with a Berdan primed shotgun shell, I guess that they could exist.

607) A cleat for belaying a line on a boat (or wherever else you may have a need to secure a line). 608) My first thought on seeing this was some rather nasty homemade "brass knuckles".

However, another suggestion which I have already seen of a slip on traction device for walking on ice might well be it.

609) I *think* that the logo on it *should* be unraveled as:

"Make the line stay tight"

The top corner is obviously intended to serve as a screwdriver.

The thread checkers in there mix quite common threads (6-32, 8-32, 10-32 and 10-24) with some less common ones (10-28 and especially the 9-32, which I have never seen mentioned before.)

My number screw program, however, is willing to deal with it anyway:

14:18:21 > number-screw 9 32 For a #9-32.000 screw: Clearance diameter: 0.177 Tap drill diameter: 0.146 ======================================================================

The primary association with the name "J. A. Sexauer" seems to be in the plumbing field -- though since the site requires a login, I opted not to peruse their list of products. :-)

610) It looks like some sort of special-purpose cooking tool.

Perhaps hot dogs on the spikes, the bun in the cage below the spikes, and perhaps something like bacon on the tray behind the spikes.

611) On this one, my first thought was a rubber gripper pad found in the kitchen to grip and remove large bottle lids.

My wife has suggested an alternative -- the bottom of rubber-soled shoes.

Now to see what others have answered.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

yeah, wow, Rob, you have some weird stuff in your collection. i keep thinking you're going to run out of weird stuff but every week you keep coming back with stuff that is equally challenging as the week before. i've seen some of the guesses already and some of what i presume are correct answers. i was completely baffled as to what #606 was but it seems it's been correctly identified. wow.

606. no idea whatsoever. (but seems been answered correctly already) 607. tying rope to a boat or cargo bed of a pick up 608. looked like a home made pair of ice walkers to me. (made by a hippy at the '94 "Woodstock" concert for walking in the mud.) 609. huh. no idea, i mean, obviously for measuring bolt and screw sizes... but an odd device. i can't tell from the photo if those holes are threaded, you'd assume so though huh? 610. now wow, that's a really weird one! what in the HECK is that thing?! i think males would have some kind of instinctive natural aversion to that thing. 611. i believe i guessed that one correctly before seeing other's answers, close up of a basketball.
Reply to
William Wixon

My sister suggests that #610 may be some sort of fruit-picker gadget (apples most likely) or similar.

Barb

Reply to
Barbara Bailey

607. is a deck cleat on a boat 608. is a crampon, clamps on your boot to prevent slipping on ice.
Reply to
Gary Brady

I think that's a damned good suggestion...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

It is generally used in the kitchen, but not for these purposes.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Does it have anything to do with deep frying something?

--julie

Reply to
Julie Waters

It isn't used for any type of cooking or food preparation.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks, I knew it was a reloader but I couldn't find anything about it until you mentioned what type of primers it's for.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Does it have anything to do with coals or stoking fires?

--julie

Reply to
Julie Waters

It doesn't have anything to do with fire or heat.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I think it has to do with working with ice. I don't know the specific application. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Try "Ice Pick" on for size: the tines for seperating off a set thickness with the "basket" to both define the thickness and catch pieces.

The raised edges could be used to either scrape off dirt/sawdust [used to preserve ice] or to "shave" the ice block ["poor man's snow-cone machine"].

Reply to
RAM³