Mystery brake

Has anyone here ever seen a sheet metal brake like this

Brake.JPG

Other than the dealer plaque (Montague-Harris) on the right side of th apron, there is no identifying signage or label anywhere on this. A shown in the pic, there appears to be something on both sides cast int the upper frame that looks like an "S" on top of a "T" but that's it I've sent the pic to a few machinery dealers but they've never see this type or model of brake.

It may be more-or-less obvious, but the clamping of the sheet is don by the vertical fingers via the handle at the right side. Then, as in conventional finger brake, the apron is raised using the two handles bu in this machine, the fingers tilt back at 1/2 the rate of the apron s the the fingers are always bisecting the bend angle.

I'd love to know who made this and what this type of brake is called It's been bugging me for years. I have made sense of most of th adjustments but there is one linkage that has me scratching my head.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Joep

-- Joepy

Reply to
Joepy

Please,

Blanks are NOT allowed in a URL. Thus

Brake.JPG should be written as
H.L.Law

Joepy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com:

Reply to
Lawman

Thanks, I corrected it (I think)

-Joepy

Lawman Wrote:

-- Joepy

Reply to
Joepy

On my browser, it worked by cut/paste, but it's still good advice, since the blank breaks the clickable link. Commas and certain other punctuation marks do that too.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A bit of font trivia for inquiring minds out there. %20 = a space in 8 bit Ascii (the % acts as a flag which says "the next string of numbers is the code for a character" and 20 is the ascii (also unicode) for a space (in hex). A few other common ones are %2C = comma, %3A = colon, %3B = semicolon, and %25 = percent.

Jim - former font geek

Reply to
Jim McGill

Once s geek always a geek. Nice try... : )

if you try it without the blank it seems to work too. Like below.

I notice not a single comment on the brake. Is this an equipment foru or a how to load pictures forum? signed linghunt (keep your powde dry boys

-- Linghunt

Reply to
Linghunt

I dont think this is american. Its vaguely possible that it was made by some itty bitty american company, but most likely its european. My guess would be german or austrian.

Its a wierd hybrid. The europeans have made hand operated press brakes for a while, but usually not with a bottom leaf.

Does it work? seems like it would have a pretty small capacity in terms of thickness, since the upper press brake die is being subjected to side loads, instead of the up/down load of a real press brake. And since it is an unsupported, rather long (8"? 10") die hanging down there, not very thick, I would think the side pressure of the bendin leaf would make it wiggle if you tried it on very thick stuff.

The reason for the bottom leaf though, is because the straight vertical movement of a real press brake takes a lot of force- the few "manual" press brakes I have seen, like the Di-acro, used linkages to multiply your hand force.

Reply to
rniemi

I guess I wasn't clear on how it operates. It's not a press brake. It' a folding brake. The only difference between it and a conventiona finger brake is that the fingers clamp vertically and through linkage, always point along the bend angle bisector as the apron i pivoted upward. That way the force on the fingers is always i compression -- no bending moment.

Very clever design. Just wished I knew who made it. Too bad the deale this was originally purchased from is defunct.

I have bent 16 ga steel (full 36" width) on this machine without muc groaning but I would sure like to know it's rated capacity.

Thanks for the input.

Joep

-- Joepy

Reply to
Joepy

Or more commonly but between left and right arrows. Thus

-- W§ mostly in m.s -

Winston Smith