herbert junior surface grinder

hello all , its been quite a while since i posted here but ....

recently bought the above machine , in pieces . after assembling it find a problem with the knee jib strip ! does anyone have one of thes machines they could take a picture of ? to use the m/c i have t tension the lockscrew to take the slack out of the slideway on the kne , but this isnt ideal as the lock has to be slackened to put a cut o ,and this allows the whole table assembly to move! so if anyone ca point me to a "users book" or drawings or photo's of the machine o could share their experience of this machine with me please ! (ive onl used a j&s 540 to date and that was 10 yrs back) cheers ke

-- willowkevi

----------------------------------------------------------------------- willowkevin's Profile:

this thread:

willowkevin

oh well no takers ?? ok heres a few photobucket links , could someon

have a look and advise ? they're showing the gap with the gib stri wound up as far as it can go , theres a tapped hole at the bottom wit a screw pressing on the gib strip . [image

'm thinking if i get a length of key steel and fit it to where the ga is when the lock is on ? i may improve things ? suggestions would b most welcome !

-- willowkevi

----------------------------------------------------------------------- willowkevin's Profile:

this thread:

willowkevin

Hmm, the other side of the gib has adjusting screws. Right? Why not adjust them. The lock screw is for locking only.

Or what did I misunderstand?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

sorry i'm not good at explaining ! i hoped the gib strip would tighte

upwards , thus bearing on the slideway , but its slack ! by using th lock screw and the grub screw i can make the gib bear on the slide bu .. it works but not correctly ! i believe the bottom hole and gru screw to be an "add on " as i would have expected the same at the top so i'm wondering if i can shim behind it with a length of gauge plat !the top pic is with the lock on , the middle is lock off and showin the movement i cant adjust out and the bottom pic is from the same sid but lower down , showing the hole with a grub screw in it

-- willowkevi

----------------------------------------------------------------------- willowkevin's Profile:

this thread:

willowkevin

sorry to keep pestering but ....8-) right , im trying to shim behind th

gib strip ,to make the job lot thicker so the adjustment screw works anyways , i had an old rusty rule from an old broken comination set thought i'd modify , i cut the shape using a demmel type tool ,but whe i fitted it i found it to be a few thou too thick. . so i shortened th shim to fit the travel of the grinder and then ground it . but whe released from the magnetic table its sprung !! if i turn the shim roun the magnetism of the table will straighten it . if i now grind the othe side whats my chances of the finished job being flat ? suggestion please !!! pretty please even !!

-- willowkevi

----------------------------------------------------------------------- willowkevin's Profile:

this thread:

willowkevin

It might, but does it really matter provided the spring pressure doesn't exceed the capability of the ways oil film? The adjusting screws will provide the hard limit and the gib will sort of float on the spring.

Reply to
alister

:) and just to report that the fix works ! and that it was the vertica

movement i was having problems with !

-- willowkevi

----------------------------------------------------------------------- willowkevin's Profile:

this thread:

willowkevin

hi all, i dont supose anyone will but... im in need of a wiring diagram for this machine, i bought it with it just plugging into the converter i use as the seller had disconnected all the internal wiring! i do not like using the machine in this way but aren't clued up enough on the wiring to do it, i'm almost there mind and want to check my wiring to the diagram!

so if anyone can help/advise etc please do!

oh and i do realise the dangers of 440volts etc,tho ive put a reversing drum on my colchester and mended the limit switch and sorted my bridgeport wiring!

Reply to
willowkevin

willowkevin was zeer hard aan het denken :

Hi Kevin, as answered privately, I send you some pictures of the wires. The manual doesn't show these, only the parts. Meanwhile I am inspecting the interior of the 1959 Hacou permanent magnetic chuck, delivered with the grinder. It seems to have lost some of its power.

Reply to
Dirk

On 23 Nov, 08:20, Dirk

Reply to
Anzaniste

Anzaniste schreef op 24-11-2009 :

Try the Engineers Emporium. They sell a parts manual copy with detailed exploded views.

Reply to
Dirk

#Thank you.

Reply to
Anzaniste

hi, yes the engineers emporium do do the parts list! its a very handy book!- Dirk, some pictures of the wires would be good! i had posted an ad on home workshop, and a very helpful bloke sent me an old contactor unit, with the wires still intact! but.... there's more wires than it needs, so now i have to work out what goes where!!!!

fingers crossed it may work for christmas!

Reply to
willowkevin