X1 Mill

Hello Everyone, Has anyone on here CNC'd one of Arc Euro's X1 mills, or am I wasting my time, all my other stuff is on the large side i.e. Archdale & Bridgeport millers, Mascot and DSG lathes etc. I only want this small mill for doing small steam fittings or am I going to be disappointed on its performance, noise, poor machined slides etc. Any comments welcome. Regards Stan

Reply to
Ben

Yes, check out htp://mill.gaspode.co.uk Ill prod him to update it a bit, it is finished and working fine

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Nice writeup.

One point - he used DIN plugs for the motor connections - nowt wrong with that except they are a PIA to wire up without getting pin-to-pin shorts and the plugs don't lock into the sockets (disconnecting a powered stepper motor can fry some drives). 4-pin XLR plugs/sockets are a better bet.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Yes I did mine some while back and it works fine. You can see the details here:

Alan Marshall

Many Thanks to Dave, Tony and Alan for pointing me in the right direction. I will pop over to Arc Euro this week and get myself one. Kindest regards. Stan

Reply to
Stan

Yes they are DIN plugs, but they are the locking sort. cheaper that 4 pin XLRs i think, and not much trickier to solder. I you look in the photos you can see the locking collar. My (Professional Sound) experience with XLRs suggests the locking mechanism could be better (leads pull out on stage, sound goes off...), these have a screw collar, which I suspect might be a bit better. Then again, these leads dont get plugged and unplugged many times a day.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Apologies - hadn't spotted that they were lockable.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I prodded Andy and he's done a minor update to show some cutting results.

toolpost blanks are for my harrison L5, the tipped tool in the photo is one of the stevenson tpun11 ones (marypoppinsbag seller on ebay) which works really (blue swarf) well :)

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson