Long tapers

Hi all, I need to cut a long (~500mm) taper on my lathe that is longer than the travel on the top slide. Are there any gadgets/ideas that will let me do this in a single pass?

I have a Colchester Triumph 2000 BTW.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Is the taper shallow enough to setover the tailstock and do it between centres?

Or there's always the boring head in the tailstock as per John S's pictures. Did you originate that John?

Other than that it's CNC or taper turning attachments..

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Can't do that unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply, does he keep these pics online anywhere?

Guess I'll have to go looking for a taper turning attachment for it.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Too steep an angle? What is the angle you are looking for?

Somewhere! Hopefully he'll chime in. But basically it's a pretty stock milling boring head mounted in the tailstock, with a centre in one of the boring bar sockets. You can then dial in your taper by offsetting the centre.

They are a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned. I've got one on the M300 clone I have. I disabled it. But then I have CNC lathes at hand so it's no big deal.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

its a clever fix !

-- willowkevi

----------------------------------------------------------------------- willowkevin's Profile:

this thread:

willowkevin

A hydraulic copier

Of course the fact that I have one that I no longer need, which IIRC came off a Triumph 2000, has nothing to do with that suggestion

Tim

Tim Leech

its a clever fix !!

Well thats the pic I was thinking of. So the original poster doesn't have to look too hard here's the direct link to Johns pic.

"

" Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Have a look here

I need to build a larger lighter version of this, to replace this damaged prototype :)

It's built in sections that are interferenced fitted together (you can see where the first joint I tried didn't go so well on this one :) then I just need to skim down the outside to give it a smooth finish.

I'd have to offset the tailstock end over 3" plus the base would have to have a plug made and the part mounted via that.

I've been meaning to bodge some CNC onto this lathe at some point, nothing to accurate, just something to help with compound curves, must get round to that one day, well the winter build season is coming :)

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Compound curves? You really *do* need a hydraulic copier

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

"Tim Leech" wrote

I am tempted :) But it needs a 3 phase power supply correct?

What sort of money are you looking for it?

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Yes, it does have a 3-phase motor. I'll check whether it's dual voltage (suitable for VFD) or not.

Can't remember what I paid for it. Got it off ebay last year, then decided to swap the lathe instead (I wanted it for doing tapers). May have paid a bit over the odds, but it's a late model, very tidy, with all the bits while most seem to have lost stuff, usually rails or rail fittings, on the way. I'll track it down, then think of a number & contact you off-list.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Sorry I haven't got back sooner. It is a dual voltage motor, 370Watt (1/2 hp) so would run from a small inverter/VFD. I'm looking for 200 quid. They do go for less sometimes, but often with important bits missing, & as I noted earlier this is a very late model.

email me off list if interested.

Tim

Tim Leech